TPR Home | Parks | Twitter | Facebook | YouTube | Instagram 

Alton Towers Discussion Thread

I think i'm right in saying that the Sega sponsorship deal has now expired, so it could well be that it is also re-themed and included as part of cbeebies land. Although i'm sure the Long Term Development Plan that was released did mention the possibility of spinball being either relocated to a different part of the park or removed completely, so who knows?

• Replies 5.8k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

I may be totally wrong but I thought the Sega license had 1 year left? It would make sense for it to expire now though and either pull the theme in with cBeebies Land or return it to Spinball Whizzer pre Sonic.

I'm really interested to hear if anything has been done on The Smiler over the closed season. I expect it has but would be great to hear or see some of the changes made.

I may be totally wrong but I thought the Sega license had 1 year left? It would make sense for it to expire now though and either pull the theme in with cBeebies Land or return it to Spinball Whizzer pre Sonic.

I'm really interested to hear if anything has been done on The Smiler over the closed season. I expect it has but would be great to hear or see some of the changes made.

Completely random thoughts but If it did have a year left I wonder if they would see how well the angry birds land does at Thorpe Park and take advantage of that to bring the theme over, I realize alton towers already has a 4D movie but I could see them keeping spinball whizzer as it's own area but re-theme it and put a small attraction in on beasties spot (perhaps a copy of the bumper cars TP will get) and re-theme that little play area to an angry birds design so they have another new area to market in 2015.

That would work really well. Retheming Sonic Spinball to Angry Birds would be really neat. And a dodgems ride or other Angry Birds themed attraction where Beastie was along with an Angry Birds childrens play area would fit in really nicely. That then gives Alton 3 main kiddie aimed areas: CBeebies Land, Angry Birds Land and Cloud Cuckoo Land.

It would finally distinguish each area as it's own rather than being a mashup of Old MacDonald's Farmyard, Adventure Land and Storybook Land.

• 2 weeks later...

Submission not reopening does not surprise me in the slightest. It has sounded like it has been falling to pieces for many years, as said above, the far side has not operated for quite some time. From what I have heard, ops running the ride have always hated it and it is 100% ready to go.

I'm not quite sure what could replace it as the area it's in is not huge. But it is good news that it's very likely Alton will get a new flat ride and I think the park really needs one.

I don't think they would put something in its place as boring as a short top tower...

then again, a drop tower that slips you upside down and drops you head first.. that could be interesting... since its so short, you really won't get the high negative G's...

Let the Dreamers dream.

Chance inverters are some of the most painful rides out there. I don't think I've ridden one in close to 10 years because of the pain! Sounds like a great removal for the park!

Chance inverters are some of the most painful rides out there. I don't think I've ridden one in close to 10 years because of the pain! Sounds like a great removal for the park!

They should use this quote in their press release.

I don't think they would put something in its place as boring as a short top tower...

I've heard a lot of people singing the praises of smaller ARM towers over some of the bigger drop rides out there. I really didn't like Submission but I do hope they get some more flats to replace it. Personally I wish they'd bring Energizer back to that area. I loved it when I rode it in x-sector, although when they moved it to Ug-Land did they change it to a tamer cycle because whenever I re-rode it, it didn't seem to be as intense.

I generally dislike most drop towers as its only: Slow ascent, some view, drop. So boring! And compared to this you have quite long waits.

The only drop rides I do are Disney's Tower of Terror, but those aren't really droprides. They have a cool theming, a darkride, and an elevator style ride system that gives you cool pops of air while your whole body hangs only by a seatbelt.

I hope they add another inversion ride - some rides from Mondial, KMG or Technical Park come to mind.

All the Chance Inverters I have ridden have been extremely painful and a lot of them have just been sat there not operating so I do expect them to close one by one.

I can't see Alton getting a drop tower as they will want something to market and I think they might have run out of ways to market rides that drop:

- Oblivion, Worlds First Vertical Drop Roller Coaster

- Thirteen, Worlds First Vertically Dropping Roller Coaster

- Nemesis Sub Terra, (Is 4 drop towers at it's core)

But knowing Merlin they would find a way!

All the Chance Inverters I have ridden have been extremely painful and a lot of them have just been sat there not operating so I do expect them to close one by one.

I can't see Alton getting a drop tower as they will want something to market and I think they might have run out of ways to market rides that drop:

- Oblivion, Worlds First Vertical Drop Roller Coaster

- Thirteen, Worlds First Vertically Dropping Roller Coaster

- Nemesis Sub Terra, (Is 4 drop towers at it's core)

But knowing Merlin they would find a way!

- Submitting, World's first drop tower without a drop.

Although sitting still would probably be more fun than Submission.

• 3 weeks later...

I agree 100%. They're horrible rides.

• 2 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...

Won't miss this ride at all. It was painful to ride and I always lost a load of change when upside down! I think we can manage without a replacement for a while although the park definitely needs more flats. Log flume needs some attention first.

• 1 month later...