TPR Home | Parks | Twitter | Facebook | YouTube | Instagram 

Alton Towers Discussion Thread

I have agree Coaster freak is right. Five years back I was like: "England man Love to go for the roller coaster but hard to get there probably never will. "Today I'm like: "England this year is nothing compared to next year America. Love my hobby." If you have the will to go to England for Alton Towers you eventually will get there and you still have a big chance this ride is there when you come.

• Replies 5.8k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

So what do we make of this? As well as the postponed 'World of David Walliams' featuring 'Gangsta Granny: The Ride' opening this season, Alton Towers have rented three classic fairground rides they ar

I mean, at least Merlin is finally using their bizarre ass marketing for something that kind of works?!!? I get that it's a bunch of temporary carnival rides but at this point I'll take it!

I think they're trying to make the best out of a bad situation - partly of their own doing as they seem to have got rid of all their support rides. The choice of rides seems pretty crappy so well done

Posted Images

If you have the will to go to England for Alton Towers you eventually will get there and you still have a big chance this ride is there when you come.

This has been my way of looking at Alton for a long time, except Nemesis is what will eventually get me there.

48114_629081547105725_603782629_n.jpg

From CoasterLive official facebook page. It's the second Inverted drop of the Smiler which means they have half of the 14 inversions inverted.

Also Yesterday TowersTimes had a aerial update for the smiler whiteout the yellow boxes, and guess what? Nothing there than a barrel roll. Later I post this aerial update here when it's public. It is still rumored to have some secret element after the barrel roll that they're going to keep secret till the end.

So is this going to have the world's (only) 3rd jojo roll? Not counting Supersonic odyssey..

If you're considering a jojo roll (which is really just a made-up marketing term for Hydra...) to be a barrel roll before the first lift or launch of a coaster, then this would be the fifth I believe, after Hydra, Supersonic Odyssey, Saw, and Takabisha.

If Alton submitted the plans fully knowing that these inversions were going to be included* then that is actually a pretty brilliant piece of misdirection, They have managed to create a situation where we enthusiasts have been speculating about what the gimmick will be when the truth is that the very first "most inversion record" rumours were probably spot on the money. It sure drummed up a lot of speculation and hype and it cost them nothing.

I can't say I always agree with Merlins marketing but well played Alton, Well played indeed.

*the coaster is under a general planning application so as long as they don't change the major structures it doesn't matter about the changes to track.

The inverted drop on this looks REALLY sweet, if I make it back to the UK anytime soon I will make sure to go to Alton Towers to ride The Smiler.

Also hasn't The Smiler tied with the most inversions record with Jouney to the Stars (Chinese Knockoff of Colossus with a extra loop) now with the 3 added inversions (the Barrel Roll and the two inverted drops)

^It's going to succeed Journey to the Stars, no Chinese knock-off is going to take that record. In the trailer for The Smiler game, five inversions are unveiled, the two inverted drops, the indoor heartline roll, a corkscrew and a heartline roll just before the train hits the final corner onto the brake run. One more left, which could be this camelback into inline twist(?):

Capture.JPG.a8152de64ca7964f21d80bc06149225b.JPG

Inversions spotted in the game sneak peak, pictures, and plans:

1. Indoor heart line. (Sneak Peak, Pictures)

(Possible Secret Element?) Lift 1.

2. Inverted drop 1. (Sneak Peak, Pictures)

3. 8 shaped inversion (first half) (Sneak Peak, Plans)

4. 8 shaped inversion (second half) (Sneak Peak, Plans)

5. Bat-wing (first half) (Sneak Peak, Pictures, Plans)

6. Bat-wing (second half) (Sneak Peak, Pictures, Plans)

7. Corkscrew (Sneak Peak)

Lift 2 (Vertical)

8. Inverted drop 2. (Sneak Peak, Pictures)

9. Sea-serpent roll (first half) (Sneak Peak, Plans)

10. Sea-serpent roll (second half) (Sneak Peak, Plans)

11. Cobra roll (first half) (Sneak Peak, Pictures, Plans)

12. Cobra roll (second half) (Sneak Peak, Pictures, Plans)

13. Barrel roll. (Sneak Peak)

14. Barrel roll. (Sneak Peak)

Brakes.

Here a top view:

Blue and Yellow are the inversions.

So 14 Confirmed inversions all to happen.

What is the expected ride time? Sorry if it has been discussed elsewhere, I don't think I've come across it. 14 inversions in a small foot-print seems like it might be vomit inducing for those with a weak stomach. Stay away from this one after your run of the mill greasy amusement park food. Take this one for a ride via POV first! Haha. Give me airtime before inversions. Doesn't that go back to East Coast vs. West Coast? Well my username says it all.

^Since it is listed in the trailer immediately after the batwing,

probably your corkscrew no.7 is actually a twisted hill followed by that supposed barrel roll.

The long straight section before the second (vertical) lift would be pointless elsewise.

probably your corkscrew no.7 is actually a twisted hill followed by that supposed barrel roll.

The long straight section before the second (vertical) lift would be pointless elsewise.

Thought the same way but then you miss the 8 shaped inversion between the inverted drop and the Batwing. So it's difficult to say if there is a logical follow up of inversions.

Thought the same way but then you miss the 8 shaped inversion between the inverted drop and the Batwing. So it's difficult to say if there is a logical follow up of inversions.

^Apparently they wrote "batwing*2"

which would probably have counted the 2 dive loops as a batwing as well.

derp

With all the new developments on the ride Someone was nice enough to chance his No Limit version and uploaded it on Youtube.

It misses the indoor section but we don't mind, right? Enjoy and Smile.