TPR Home | Parks | Twitter | Facebook | YouTube | Instagram 

Alton Towers Discussion Thread

p. 235: Nemesis Reborn announced for Spring 2024!

From what I was told by a friend that works there the trims are needed as the train goes 10mph to fast over the hill and causes to much airtime that the trains are not designed for. The trims seem to be there to stay . The trim on the drop is needed as it went round the corner to fast.

What do you guys expect the advertising to be? I mean, come on. "We are opening a mediocre roller coaster, come out and ride it!" They invested a ton of money into the ride, it DOES feature a new trick, and a bunch of people think its pretty cool. Look at other commercials, everything is going to make you hot, beautiful, and perfect. It is not out of the ordinary to hype up your product.

^But there are plenty of ways to promote a ride like this as more of an 'adventure' (Look at the way Disney promotes similar rides) rather than this "psychologically disturbing, only for over 16s, pay 1 pound for health insurance" thing they have made it out to be.

Everyone is going to think different about the ride, no one is right no one is wrong.

The problem is the advertising there was no need to make the coaster out to be anything but a family coaster, we all knew what it was. People would have still gone to ride it as it's at Alton Towers the largest theme park in the UK and the best known.

All they have done is left themselves open to the types of comments that have been posted all over the internet.

What worries me is the more people think this is a great coaster etc the more Merlin think they will get away with putting in 2nd rate coasters. Yes it is a good family coaster, no it is not a good thrill ride.

And as for the area, it just has Rita and 13 they need more in the area some flat rides or something. The problem is the queue lines for Rita and 13 take up so much space there is not much room left for anything else.

Can not wait to see what is made of 13 on the TPR Uk trip.

^Knowing people that travel on TPR trips, I believe the consensus will love Th13teen. The trip participants are realistic and knowledgable and not completely obsessed with coasters. Even though the UK Trip will have different participants than those who went with TPR to Phantasialand, those members loved the similar surprise effects on Winjas.

That's my view of their perspective.

Edited by larrygator

From what I've seen and heard, Thirteen looks to be a really fun ride. Sure they promoted it as the "ultimate roller coaster" and its not really living up to the hype, but it is a really unique roller coaster, the vertical drop of which looks like it would be a shock, even if you did know it was coming.

The one thing is why did no park put a ride like this in a long time ago. When I first heard this was being put in I thought, "Well, finally...I thought of this years ago." I can't imagine I was the only one to think of it. Did the technology just not exist? It wouldn't seem that way. They have drop rides...they have roller coasters...just put the two together.

Alton Towers TH13TEEN Bootcamp - the video

In March 2010, 28 amazing and brave individuals attended TH13TEEN boot camp at the Alton Towers Resort. Follow their progress as they faced challenge after challenge - including a night-time visit to the Dark Forest - and watch the events as they unfolded.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4vze6o1Hguw

There's too much positivity here for Th13teen. I class myself as a pretty big Alton Towers fan, and was left quite disappointed by Th13teen. There's a few problems with it, the first of which is the marketing, which I suppose is largely irrelevant in the long term. The marketing makes out like it's gonna be the next Nemesis - it is NOT. So thrill-seekers will leave disappointed. However, I feel that the same marketing will alienate families and kids for whom the ride is appropriate, and actually dissuade them from riding.

The first half of Th13teen is really REALLY tame, and anyone who says otherwise is kidding themselves, I swear. It is a kiddie coaster. Alton's Runaway Mine Train is more intense. The drop has a trim brake which means that the rest of the course is fairly slow. The second half of the ride, featuring the infamous world's first / secret element is decent. It's fun and unique, and is entertaining. Not intense, but entertaining. It's perfect for everyone. Note that the first half of the ride is NOT perfect for everyone - it's boring for the majority of riders. The second half of the ride is not good enough to 'make up for' the first half.

All the talk of theming and special effects is, in my view, looking at it with rose-tinted specs on. Th13teen has virtually no theming in the queue-line at all. The station building is really good and atmospheric, but you'll experience it for less than 5mins - the throughput of the ride was great when I went. There is no storyline to the ride, which is really disappointing. There is no theming onboard the ride, until you enter the 'crypt'. Here, we were promised an ultimate merger of theme park technology, but there's some standard audio, lighting changes and some minimal props. No revolutionary effects here. And with no storyline context, it all seems a bit random. What are the wraiths? The final tunnel is completely unthemed.

To me, Th13teen is a mish-mash of ideas - it tries to be a bit of everything and ultimately doesn't do any one thing particularly well, leading to an unsatisfactory ride experience. It claims it's well-themed... it's somewhat themed, with no storyline. It claims it's thrilling - it's not. It claims it's revolutionary - it's not. I suppose it works well as a family ride, but I fear the marketing will put off that audience. I fail to see how this all cost £15m unless the secret element cost that much (which I sincerely hope it didn't) or simply if some of the effects are not working yet. In some sense, Th13teen is a replacement for the Black Hole - it's a semi-themed ride suitable for all... but Alton haven't really got that message across, and much like the ride, are unsuccessfully trying to please all.

There's too much positivity here for Th13teen. I class myself as a pretty big Alton Towers fan, and was left quite disappointed by Th13teen. There's a few problems with it, the first of which is the marketing, which I suppose is largely irrelevant in the long term. The marketing makes out like it's gonna be the next Nemesis - it is NOT. So thrill-seekers will leave disappointed. However, I feel that the same marketing will alienate families and kids for whom the ride is appropriate, and actually dissuade them from riding.

The first half of Th13teen is really REALLY tame, and anyone who says otherwise is kidding themselves, I swear. It is a kiddie coaster. Alton's Runaway Mine Train is more intense. The drop has a trim brake which means that the rest of the course is fairly slow. The second half of the ride, featuring the infamous world's first / secret element is decent. It's fun and unique, and is entertaining. Not intense, but entertaining. It's perfect for everyone. Note that the first half of the ride is NOT perfect for everyone - it's boring for the majority of riders. The second half of the ride is not good enough to 'make up for' the first half.

All the talk of theming and special effects is, in my view, looking at it with rose-tinted specs on. Th13teen has virtually no theming in the queue-line at all. The station building is really good and atmospheric, but you'll experience it for less than 5mins - the throughput of the ride was great when I went. There is no storyline to the ride, which is really disappointing. There is no theming onboard the ride, until you enter the 'crypt'. Here, we were promised an ultimate merger of theme park technology, but there's some standard audio, lighting changes and some minimal props. No revolutionary effects here. And with no storyline context, it all seems a bit random. What are the wraiths? The final tunnel is completely unthemed.

To me, Th13teen is a mish-mash of ideas - it tries to be a bit of everything and ultimately doesn't do any one thing particularly well, leading to an unsatisfactory ride experience. It claims it's well-themed... it's somewhat themed, with no storyline. It claims it's thrilling - it's not. It claims it's revolutionary - it's not. I suppose it works well as a family ride, but I fear the marketing will put off that audience. I fail to see how this all cost £15m unless the secret element cost that much (which I sincerely hope it didn't) or simply if some of the effects are not working yet. In some sense, Th13teen is a replacement for the Black Hole - it's a semi-themed ride suitable for all... but Alton haven't really got that message across, and much like the ride, are unsuccessfully trying to please all.

I'm not sure I entirely agree.

If you listen to Merlin PR people you're an idiot, so you shouldn't have been preparing for Nemesis V2 or anything like that. What you get is a really good mine train with a unique element, a strong storyline and extensive theming.

It's a great family attraction and although I agree with you that the advertising may be a bit strong and put off younger customers, when we were there, loads of families with young kids were riding so I'm not sure the marketing is actually putting people off.

Dave

What you get is a really good mine train with a unique element, a strong storyline and extensive theming.

Don't really agree with this though either. There is the unique element, which I agree is cool. 'Really good mine train' - wouldn't agree with that; the coaster segment is horrendously short, totally unthemed and very very tame - it's less exciting than Alton's existing Runaway Mine Train for sure. 'Extensive theming' - as I said already, as far as I can see, the only extensive theming is in the main station building, including the crypt which houses the secret element. The station is really nice and atmospheric, but you're only in there for a very brief time. The crypt has a bit of decent theming, but again, you're in there for all of 5 seconds. There is virtually no theming in the queue-line, no theming on the coaster section, no theming in the backwards tunnel, and, aside from 2 pillars, no theming in the final switch-over and run back to the station. As for the supposed 'strong storyline', I have no idea what this storyline is. It's not advertised in the queue-line, for sure. I mean, I get the idea that the Dark Forest is taking over the area - including Rita - but how that actually fits into Th13teen and all the wraiths and whatnot, I have no idea.

So I stand by my opinion that Th13teen doesn't really work as a thrill ride and certainly doesn't work as a highly-themed 'experience' attraction, in the vein of something like Hex. Aside from the marketing which suggests otherwise, I suppose it will work as a decent family ride, but I don't think it's an EXCELLENT family ride. It's an ok family ride, with a very loose partial theme and a unique element. Basically, it's similar in style to the Black Hole, only with this extra element.

Put this report in here rather than a fresh thread. A girl was killed yesterday en route to AT on a school trip. Thoughts go out to the family and friends.

Link:http://www.heraldscotland.com/news/home-news/why-did-they-travel-1.1017562

Why did they travel?

Bus crashes during a snowstorm.

Natasha Paton, 17, was killed in the accident that saw a bus crash through a bridge wall

BackNextVideo Pics: 1 Carolyn Churchill, Deborah Anderson And Helen McArdle

0 commentsPublished on 1 Apr 2010

School officials are under pressure to explain why a coach trip was allowed to go ahead in treacherous weather conditions after the bus crashed, killing a 17-year-old girl and injured several others.

Natasha Paton, a pupil of Lanark Grammar School, died after she was thrown from the vehicle and trapped in freezing water when the coach plunged through a bridge wall and fell 10ft from the A73 near Wiston, Lanarkshire.

It was only 12 miles into the journey to Alton Towers, Staffordshire, on the annual excursion for sixth-year pupils when it was involved in the crash at around 5.50am yesterday.

A total of 44 people received hospital treatment, with at least three suffering serious injuries.

Last night NHS Lanarkshire said five people remained in hospital. All were in a stable condition.

Police said it was clear that snow had a part to play in the accident, and one mother who prevented her son from going on the trip because of the weather conditions criticised the decision to go ahead with the excursion.

Driving instructor Susan Thornton said: “I do actually despair of any coach trip, any coach company that would have a driver that would take 39 children in that weather knowing they were going to Alton Towers.”

Natasha’s personal webpage, which includes photographs of a previous trip to Alton Towers, was inundated with tributes from friends and fellow pupils.

In a statement issued through police, her family said: “We are devastated at the loss of our beloved daughter. Natasha was a typical teenager and very popular with lots of friends and will be greatly missed by all who knew her.”

Residents in Lanark questioned the decision to allow the bus to set off on the 240-mile journey after severe weather warnings had been issued.

Elizabeth Boyd, 67, whose granddaughter Laura attends Lanark Grammar School, said: “The weather was forecast to be awful overnight, I am astounded as to why the trip was given the go-ahead.”

Jimmy Fisher, 36, whose daughter attends the school, said: “It is crazy to think that they could send a bus down in those conditions.”

Allan Brown, manager of Photoflash coaches, said the bus set off from its depot in Carluke at 4.45am before collecting pupils at the school.

He said: “When the bus left the yard there was only approximately two inches of snow on the main roads and that to a coach isn’t a problem at all – you don’t even know it’s there.

“But when they got to the grammar, apparently there had been a discussion there and the teachers on the site, I think, were enquiring to find out what the road conditions were further down.

“It seemed to be a consensus that the roads were still okay. It was apparently when they went further down that the snow did get heavier, but that stretch of road [where the accident happened] was covered in a sheet of black ice which we believe has caused this tragedy.”

A spokesman for South Lanarkshire Council said: “We’re working alongside the police who are carrying out their investigation into the accident and it would be wrong to speculate about the cause.

“What we do know is that many of our school buses were out … taking children to schools including Lanark Grammar. The roads had been gritted throughout the night and the traffic was moving.”

Hey Peeps, I went to Alton Towers on Sunday and like a lot of people i wasn't too thrilled with Th13teen but after riding it I found it a good family ride. I was talking to one a member of staff while waiting for the newly themed Rita, He Said that Alton Towers are trying to bring family's back to the park. I think the problem with Th13teen is it was marketed all wrong. Anybody else share the same view?

Am I the only one who doesn't have a problem with the Th13teen marketing? I mean, who says a family ride has to be all happy and sugar-coated. Some kids, believe it or not, do like going on scary-looking rides rather than generic-looking ones and the low heigh restriction means they can actually ride this one, whether it compares to Nemesis or not.

Ok guys, TH13TEEN did close yesterday because I was there, but I have a theory as to why it did. It was around about lunchtime when it closed, which from my understanding is when everyone is filling their faces with KFC etc and don't care too much about going on the bigger rides. This would be the perfect time to close TH13TEEN for one reason. I think they were testing out the effects in the crypt, because when re-opened there was one train that they were not letting people in (they were testing on this train) and when I asked why the train wasn't in use, the reply was 'we are testing something'. Seems a good thing to test and get ready in time for the weekend right? Oh and apparently now the air cannons are working. Coincidence?

^^ We need something like that in America. Do you know how tired I am of black signs that say "Closed"?

It's good to see the "dark ride" section of TH13TEEN is working well now. When you hype a coaster for the theme, that's what's gonna draw people in. If the theme doesn't work, you'll have some unhappy campers.