TPR Home | Parks | Twitter | Facebook | YouTube | Instagram 

Alton Towers Discussion Thread

p. 235: Nemesis Reborn announced for Spring 2024!

Although I am sure many will be disappointed with today's announcement I am definitely looking forward to what Alton is producing. A new concept, if implemented properly, will be wonderful.

I'm a sucker for good theming, and this is shaping up to look good.

Same. I LOVED Mystery Mine because of the whole theming package, as well as the special effects and unique surprises put in.

I'm very impressed the with creepy/mystery/dark forest theming, it's right up my alley. Those hooded figures look really cool, I'm sure this will be a fantastic way to pull in lots of different age groups.

I think this is a small way to counter "Saw:The Ride"....perhaps?

Can't wait to see what other details of this ride will be released.

-Zach

I'm not sure what to think about the name. Sure it isn't the worst, but it just doesn't seem to fit the ride.

The theming though looks like it will be amazing. Even though the ride will be family friendly, the level of theming should really make the ride stand out. I was disappointed with the level of theming on Saw with the exception of the queue/station. However, Thirteen looks it will live up to my expectations, and even if there isn't much theming outside of the main building, the fact that it is running through the forest should help the ride experience greatly.

I'm not sure what to think about the name. Sure it isn't the worst, but it just doesn't seem to fit the ride.

That's what I thought as well, I personally find the name to be generic and cheesy. I mean, if the plot of the ride ends up being based around the number and it's mythical unluckiness then it will be more fitting. But still, it seems like the name of a cheesy carnival haunted house to me.

I preferred Surrender

About the name: if one park can call a coaster "X," then why can't another park call one "Thirteen?"

I eagerly await more details on this ride, and if it's limited to people under 55 years old, then I'd better hurry to ride it---I'm only five years away.

Eric

This is interesting:

http://www.mirror.co.uk/news/top-stories/2009/12/11/alton-towers-to-launch-scariest-rollercoaster-ride-in-the-uk-dubbed-the-psychoaster-115875-21889607/

Alton Towers Resort is to launch "the scariest ride in the UK" next year, it announced today.

Thirteen, built on the site of the old Corkscrew rollercoaster, aims to combine physical and psychological fear and will be dubbed a "psychoaster".

The £15 million ride will be restricted to 16 to 55-year-olds only and visitors limited to one ride per day "due to concerns about emotional maturity and physical health", resort bosses said.

Visitors will also be required to sign a waiver which assures the resort of their physical and mental health "to avoid any resulting lawsuits".

age limit and visitors limited to one ride per day...? hmm

I really don't like the age limit and the one ride per day rules. It really makes it seem much more like an upcharge attraction rather than a traditional roller coaster that I can take multiple rides on to see a difference between seats. I guess this means people on the UK Trip will not get 13 ERT.

Don't worry about the silly marketing tactics; Alton Towers is still primarily a "Family resort"; do you really think they would purchase a ride which would isolate most their target market? Of course not; they're using the same publicity stuff which Merlin have done so much before. Remember Saw: The Ride's age ban? That wasn't enforced, and I'm near as certain this one won't either

I just wonder if it's true that "All publicity is good publicity" and if these advertising methods are the best ideas.

IMO, Thirteen isn't a bad name, it's a decent name and better than Rita or Spinball, but not up to the previous SW quality with Oblivion and Nemesis. I doubt the rides name will have any large affect on the quality of the ride in the end though

I don't mind the name... like someone else said, SFMM has a ride called "X" / "X2" Even Alton towers has a ride called Rita so Thirteen isn't so bad..

It looks like the "rumored" internal drop is right behind where that big tree is going (the one made from old Corcscrew Steel) so maybe they're going to use the tree as part of the internal theming.. Maybe tie it in with Hex which is based around the legend of the old Oak tree !

In the vid on the AT website the main drop looks surprisingly big for a "family" coaster !!!

Wow, that whole age limit idea seems quite ridiculous. Sure, you are a former fighter pilot and have fought on a battlefield yet these tiny five g-forces and fiberglass spooky trees may possibly do you in.

It doesn't have to be due to forces you know. The ride could be under heavy use of strobes or fog which aren't good for extended periods of time. It might have nothing to do with the forces exerted by the ride.