TPR Home | Parks | Twitter | Facebook | YouTube | Instagram 

Alton Towers Discussion Thread

p. 235: Nemesis Reborn announced for Spring 2024!

don't assume its not just because of the drawings.

Trust me, it's more that the drawings that make me doubt this. How about the fact that it's a kid with a webcam who wont name is "source"...

Oh absolutely with you on that - 9 times out of 10 I don't watch these youtube clips - usually just some teenager having a wet dream in front of a video camera, pining for attention.

Awh! Sanbrooke has removed his video, otherwise I would have posted it. He basically said: It will be B&M. Rita's getting a re-theme. And a spinning coaster will be placed in Black Hole's tent.

So you're saying that B&M have randomly decided to change they type of track they use, and do a coaster that's not at all their style (something many other companies could do better).

Also they're going to put a spinning coaster in the park when there is a spinning coaster about 300 metres away?

No. I was simply stating what Sanbrooke said.

• 2 weeks later...

Just announced on Alton Towers Almanac. SW6 is going to be manufactured by Intamin

Alton Towers Almanac:

Here we bring you the latest news and rumours from the construction site.

First of all, we can confirm that the manufacturer of the new-for-2010 roller coaster will be Intamin.

Alton Towers and Intamin have worked together several times in the past, most recently with Rita - Queen of Speed but also with the Congo River Rapids and the now-retired Swan Boats.

This means a break in tradition for the park, for the other three "Secret Weapon" coasters - Nemesis, Oblivion and Air - were manufactured by Bolliger & Mabillard.

It is believed that construction on the new ride will begin in mid-June, with the station building being the first part of the ride to appear. No track is expected to be arriving on-site until at least a few months later.

As to what marks this coaster out as a world's first, it is rumoured to involve a backwards launch section part-way around the ride circuit.

The theme is still unknown, although the banner next to Rita's queue advertising the new ride seems to point towards a 'dark forest' theme. If true, then hopefully the park will re-theme Rita to match, as the current 'Thunder Rock Rally' theme is already a hybrid of drag racing/prehistoric era.

As ever, the park themselves are giving nothing away, so it remains to be seen how things will pan out.

Original Article-Click here!

So basically, they are tell us that in Alton/Merlin style, it will spend more time broken than running! Lets hope that Intamin have ironed out all of the bugs with there rocket coasters before SW6 opens, I for one will be there in 2010 to test this out, I really and truly hope this can be a reliable ride installation, Alton Need something to stand out from the crowd at the moment, as nothing spectacular has been installed since 2002.

^Not necessarily. Think about the force at which some coasters stop. This motion is no different in terms of forces on the neck and head than launching backwards. Although it wouldn't be as intense as some forward launches, it wouldn't have to be dull by any means.

You'll just have to wait and see what alton is going to bring in 2010, alton is very good in keeping the coasters kinda mistery...

But wtf is that with the noobs in their bedrooms??? really weird

Best post of the topic so far!

That said, I don't mind the occasional comedy relief that these Youtube vids provide. But most of them are pretty terrible don't by people who haven't got a clue about what they're talking about.

I still do not think this coaster will be an Intamin but I guess we will just have to wait and find out.

If they have confirmed it to a fan site I am a bit supprised they have not made it public.

The public don't give a rats arse who builds the ride, just as long as it opens for them. Why would they release a statement saying "We're building an Intamin for 2010" when the public would just go "what the hell is that?".

Alton Towers has a pretty good rep with enthusiast sites anyway so I wouldn't instantly dismiss this. This whole backwards thing has pretty much been known since the plans first came out anyway. I'm just a bit suprised its a launch with Rita there, a tilt section would be more fun (imo).

I did not look at it like that, from a public point of view.

I would have just expected a statement from Alton confirming these stories thats all, no one has given information as to where the new has come from.

2 weeks ago the 2 web sites that have now said Intamin 1 of them was saying B&M and other makes.

I do hope its true, but until Alton say I am not taking anything as the truth.

I have to say as well I do not think it will have a backwards launch, many would say that is not a worlds first. Even some of the public that have been to Orlando would say the Mummy does that.

I'm a bit surprised at the notion of an Intamin backwards launch to be honest. I love Rita and Stealth (Thorpe Park) and I think the acceleration of the launches is a massive thrill. I'm just not sure how the concept is going to convert into going backwads. Assuming it doesn't have some sort of crazy restraint system it simply can't be especially powerful - unless Alton Towers enjoys giving people whiplash. And if there's not much acceleration, what's the point?

Stil, I'm prepared to be surprised. Maybe it can be more powerful that I'm expecting. I'm just a bit dubious of backwards rides in general after X:\No Way Out made me feel sick earlier this year.

I'm confused by this backward launch world first stuff - what would be different from say Revolution at Blackpool where the 2nd part of the ride you are 'launched' backward into the loop again. Does that not count?

Which is why I think this news is wrong. There is more things against it than for it.

Who knows but until Alton give the news I am just taking it as gossip.

They are going to look very stupid if they have it wrong as they said if "official".

I don't see too much into a backwards launch as there would be some extreme forces on the neck and head, unless the can fit each rider with the NASCAR style HANS device LOL!

Or OTFHR's! Aka Over the Forehead Restraints! That would eliminate headbanging too.

I'm confused by this backward launch world first stuff - what would be different from say Revolution at Blackpool where the 2nd part of the ride you are 'launched' backward into the loop again. Does that not count?

Or Mr. Freeze at SFOT and SFStL.

• 3 weeks later...

Guys, while browsing Screamscape today, I saw a very interesting blurb on Alton Towers that needed to be known to TPR:

Park News - (6/15/09) You’ve got to see this latest cross promotion Alton Towers has got involved with, as they’ve loaded a train full of underwear models into Rita: Queen of Speed and Spinball to test out the latest Ultimo bra designs. The video clip is safe for work however as it provides Thrills with No Spills.

www.screamscape.com/html/alton_towers.htm

Babes feel the G-string force by Charlotte Martin:

These girls popped out last week to show us how durable their undies are - by testing them on the fast Alton Towers ride.

A variety of Ultimo bras were put to the test to check they kept everything in tact - after news spread that girls are having nasty mishaps on the rides this summer.

Many women across the UK wear ill-fitting bras, which can not only cause discomfort and long-term health problems, but also accidental exposure at inappropriate times," said Ultimo's MD Michelle Mone.

"We're working with Alton Towers to advise which styles of bras riders should be wearing, proving that thrills don't necessarily have to mean spills."

And the result? According to the experts, wear a well-fitted bra that holds em in.

Erm ... I think we could have told them that.

Click above to see more saucy snaps in a slideshow and the video link to see them in action.

For pictures and a video clip check out The Sun's website:

www.thesun.co.uk/sol/homepage/features/2479050/Underwear-models-test-bras-agaisnt-the-g-force-of-Alton-Towers-ridesgirls-in-bras-on-ridesbabes-test-underwear-on-rides.html

How awesome is that? Darn lucky ride ops!

I was going to post pictures, but I wasn't sure if that violated the Terms of Service, so I played it safe. Pics will go up if the admins approve.