TPR Home | Parks | Twitter | Facebook | YouTube | Instagram 

Alton Towers Discussion Thread

p. 235: Nemesis Reborn announced for Spring 2024!

Kinda sad to see it go, as it was my first coaster with an inversion and it is also very iconic to Alton Towers, but saying that I haven't even bothered riding it on my last few visits so I guess I won't really miss it. Would be nice if they did have some kind of 'memorial' as suggested though. Guess I'll have to try and get back within the next month for one last headbanging!

Very intersted to see what will replace it. *Dreams of Intamin wood or a GCI terrain woodie*. Wishful thinking i know, I'd settle for an Intamin mega-lite.

Sigh, another classic that will soon be demolished. Don't they understand how important it is to keep classic coasters! Its like, how Six Flags America is keeping The Ultra Twister from Astroland is in storage, why don't they bring it out and make it run again. I also dont like how Elitch Gardens took out The Flying Coaster, it was one of my favorites at the park, and my first flying coaster. I hope if they take out Corkscrew they'll put it into a different park nearby.

The last time I rode Corkscrew (pre-Rita days), they forced me to take my backpack on the ride with me...!! Seemed a bit weird, but they were adamant that I couldn't leave my bag at the station so I had to attach it to my legs and hope it didn't drop out.

Although it's one of the responsible factors* in getting me into coasters when I was really young (a trip to Alton Towers was always the prize on a children's TV quiz show here in the UK in the early 80s, 'Noughts and Crosses', and they always used to show the Corkscrew at the end) I'm not all that sad to see it go, especially if it's paving the way for something better...!

(*The other main one was reading about Moonsault Scramble in the Guinness Book of Records!)

The last time I rode Corkscrew (pre-Rita days), they forced me to take my backpack on the ride with me...!! Seemed a bit weird, but they were adamant that I couldn't leave my bag at the station so I had to attach it to my legs and hope it didn't drop out.

Although it's one of the responsible factors* in getting me into coasters when I was really young (a trip to Alton Towers was always the prize on a children's TV quiz show here in the UK in the early 80s, 'Noughts and Crosses', and they always used to show the Corkscrew at the end) I'm not all that sad to see it go, especially if it's paving the way for something better...!

(*The other main one was reading about Moonsault Scramble in the Guinness Book of Records!)

Is the programme you're talking about Hold Tight which was presented by Bob Carolgees?

It's sad in a way that such an iconic UK coaster is being demolished but it really has been showing its age. I will miss the lift chain noise tho.

As for the future AT will have the old height restriction problem which will always hold it back as a park. At my last visit there 2 years ago I was disappointed at the state the park was in and felt it was all looking tired. Nemesis is now the only reason I would go there and I think it runs the risk of being overtaken by Thorpe Park as the most popular.

boo hiss

well if they don't want it, give it away to some small local park that can care for it in its old age (any owner from Loudoun Castle reading this - you have the land, this can fill a we bit of it!)

a whole generation of kids will now have to wait a bit longer before they can ride a 'grownup' coaster at AT. I cant imagine whatever they fill the gap with will offer a first inversion opportunity at the same age/height as corky does.

Is the programme you're talking about Hold Tight which was presented by Bob Carolgees?

Actually I think I meant 'Beat The Teacher' (although it did feature 'noughts and crosses' quite heavily). But I do vaguely remember 'Hold Tight' (based on 'snakes and ladders') which was staged at Alton Towers itself! Anyway....

Yeah, I know, but that's not what I'm trying to address. I'm asking why people think it's a bad ride. It does everything it's supposed to...so how can it be a bad ride? You individually might not like it, but that doesn't make it a bad ride.

Does it? I've never had a thrilling ride on corkscrew (a headache however...) and certainly never find myself amazed by the abundance of airtime it has to offer, nor the painful entry to the mediocre inversions.

It does what it's supposed to in that it's now a transition rollercoaster from things like Spinball or smaller to things like Nemesis and Oblivion. I'm willing to bet that most people who live in England, and went to Alton when they were young, have Corky as one of, or even their first inverting rollercoaster. And maybe you're on about a different ride altogther, but the Corkscrew that I ride at least twice a month, usually more, has very strong airtime on the first hill, no matter where you sit on the train.

I agree, it seems like a lot of parks are removing 1 and 2 inversion coasters. They are very important for people who are unsure about going upside down. My first looping coaster was Sooperdooperlooper which only has 1 loop. I convinced myself to try it by saying if I didn't like the loop, it was only 1 so I wouldn't have to go through more inversions. I might not have been willing to try a 3 - 7 inversion coaster for my first looping coaster.

I'm sad for Corkscrew.

It was my very first coaster - in its opening season too. All caught up in the "coaster-hysteria" generated by a couple of reports on the local news and Blue Peter. Has a lot to answer for.

It has a big place in the theme park history of Britain, and I do hope they make a statue out of its loops or something.

But hey - progress - move with the times - get a new flash sexy ride in there - thats the spirit!

It was a 30 year old pile of junk in the end; doesn't mean we didn't love it.

RIP

Why does everyone says it's goanna be scrapped? Believe it or not, but there is still a trade in these (old) rides. From all Vekoma coasters only one (the Walibi Belgium corkscrew) is scrapped till now. This coaster might get a second live; although it is not assumable to be in europe or in the states.

Why does everyone says it's goanna be scrapped? Believe it or not, but there is still a trade in these (old) rides. From all Vekoma coasters only one (the Walibi Belgium corkscrew) is scrapped till now. This coaster might get a second live; although it is not assumable to be in europe or in the states.

It's definatly being scrapped. There's no chance of a second life.

Nooooooooooo!

corkscrew was always part of what made alton towers so much magic - that indefatigable sense of history to complement the brand spankin' new state-of-the-art stuff! and this vekoma pain machine was the thing I saw on TV that first got me overexcited at the very mention of coasters or alton towers! and this classic is gonna be scrapped? I had best get my annual visit in quick!!!

well, at least this gives a greater chance of bigger better and ultimately less painful joy to come - though would they mind building in the black hole tent first? ............. please?!

Erik works for Vekoma, I think he might have a bit more knowledge than you on this subject.

Erik works for Vekoma, I think he might have a bit more knowledge than you on this subject.

Ok. I'll bet you a few hundred pounds if you want. I wouldn't say things like that if I wasn't certain.

http://www.coasterforce.com/forums/viewtopic.php?t=22932&postdays=0&postorder=asc&start=70

Ian from CF has already contacted Alton Towers about it. Next time, try to read up on a few things before trying to make me look like a douche. Thanks.

^ He wasn't trying to make you look like a douche, he was just pointing out that Erik works for Vekoma and that he most probably knows whats going to happen with Corkscrew.

Back on topic, I am actually sad to see it go! I have never ridden it but I really want to, its practically the heart of Alton Towers. Shame I will never get to ride it.

^ He wasn't trying to make you look like a douche, he was just pointing out that Erik works for Vekoma and that he most probably knows whats going to happen with Corkscrew.

The made it seem like he was. I apologise if he wasn't.

^Trav, instead of accusing Erik of calling you a "douche," there were other, more-polite ways you could've handled this situation, such as "Ian from CF has already cotacted Alton about it. Here's a link."

Remember: a "douche" is as a "douche" does. Please be more careful in future posts.

Being a corkscrew fan, be it Arrow or Vekoma, it's sad to see this one go. It's like the Kumba and Python comparison at BGA. Kumba does all the same and better, than Python. Plus, Python was showing it's age.

As for Corkscrew, even though it's being taken down, it's place in history is cemented.

It's understandable when an old coaster at a major, popular park has outstayed its welcome and reached the end of its lifespan. However, it's nice when a smaller, perhaps more rural park purchases a second-hand coaster. For example, Corkscrew from Knott's. While on the subject, was there not a park in the world that could have taken SFGAm's Shockwave off their hands?