TPR Home | Parks | Twitter | Facebook | YouTube | Instagram 

Alton Towers Discussion Thread

p. 235: Nemesis Reborn announced for Spring 2024!

This has got to be a publicity stunt that is going to have no effect on the park. I can't see the park spending the money on a task force designed to confiscate phones.

Exactly, and even if they did you'd most likely see less people coming to the park.

I thought they had banned "public displays of affection."

I wish that was the case.

This is a great publicity stunt though, but I hope it doesn't backfire on them if people think this will be a serious rule.

Even though I'm all for confiscating PDAs from people in a park, people use them for reasons beside work like Robb said. Robb has even said that he is doing an update on his PDA from a park, and people use them to communicate with other people in the park. Work should not be a concern when visiting a park, and if a PDA is being used for business, then it should be confiscated as people should focus on having fun with their family.

Hmmm...that's odd, forcing you to have fun with your kids. If they feel that people going to AT need to be forced to have a fun time with their kids then obviously the park is not doing something right. If the atmosphere of the park is fun then that should encourage adults to have fun with their kids on it's own, not to impose some stupid rule about taking away PDAs. If they feel they need to stoop that low then maybe they need to do some management retooling and improve the guest's park experience and the atmosphere there. You can't force people to have fun it only happens naturally when the conditions are there.

I'm mixed on this idea. I don't agree with someone confiscating something of that degree from you, especially if they are not the real authorities (we like to call, rent-a-cops). On the other hand, it is no fun to have a work-a-holic in the family that never spends time with their family, constantly checking if a work-related e-mail came through. When you're at a park as a visitor, you're there for fun, not for performing other business...especially if you're off the clock. Again, it's not the park's choice of what the person's lifestyle is...I'd say leave this rule up to the family to decide to let the PDA be brought in or not...not the park.

Well, since they are now deciding and dictating what "fun" is for me and my family, why don't they just tether us all together so we can't separate at all? That should make for some more "fun" during bathroom breaks.

(And I agree, it's just a temporary marketing gimmick to get free press.)

Let's not forget this is also the same park that has encouraged people to ring in sick to work so they can visit, and riders to scream louder despite the park having noise restrictions placed on it.

This sort of advertising really needs to be taken with a grain of salt. It's happened before and it'll happen again.

Seriously, thats what I thought.

I also see the point. Someone who is there but detached from the group emotionally or verbally isnt really there. I for one would rather not even have these individuals around if all they are going to do is be detached. And if someone has a job where they cant even have 24 hours without checking emails - might not want to have a family and have that job. Really, whats more important. Your family or the money?

If your waiting say for something really important or maybe you took the kids and your wife is pregnant and goes into labor early - thats a good reason (among others listed here) to carry a phone. But to sit there and read emails and texts constantly is annoying.

Put in a nice request off weeks in advance and give your duties to someone you can trust and tell em the phone/blackberry will be off. Its not hard. Sad though that an outside agent like a part has to step up and make it a little more in the forefront. If yo

Seriously, thats what I thought.

I also see the point. Someone who is there but detached from the group emotionally or verbally isnt really there. I for one would rather not even have these individuals around if all they are going to do is be detached. And if someone has a job where they cant even have 24 hours without checking emails - might not want to have a family and have that job. Really, whats more important. Your family or the money?

If your waiting say for something really important or maybe you took the kids and your wife is pregnant and goes into labor early - thats a good reason (among others listed here) to carry a phone. But to sit there and read emails and texts constantly is annoying.

Put in a nice request off weeks in advance and give your duties to someone you can trust and tell em the phone/blackberry will be off. Its not hard. Sad though that an outside agent like a part has to step up and make it a little more in the forefront. If yo

Good point. One of our friends that I was going to have as a riding buddy instead of being the sad & pathetic single rider was pretty much detached from the rest of the group when he brought his cd player into the park. He pretty much had the headphones in the whole time including on the rides, which he didn't do much of as he was lost in his music. I can now totally picture it: typical family enters park, dad all dressed up in his business attire complete with laptop and PDA. Family decides to hit up Nemesis, dad's tweaking his Powerpoint presentations while checking his e-mail while plunging down Nemmie's first drop.

A workaholic in the family is no fun to be had. I would say that my dad is borderline workaholic (not down to the pda or reading company e-mail while off duty) as most of what he talks about is what goes on at work, and outside life consists primarily of sleep due to being exhausted from a long day's work. I can only imagine someone who's parents are never there to know their kids as they're too busy reading what the latest news is with their company when they should be enjoying family time.

Oh please let there be a doctor on-call who rips 'em a new one after being hasseled during an emergency phone call or text.

Oh please let there be a doctor on-call who rips 'em a new one after being hasseled during an emergency phone call or text.

This may be the worst publicity stunt I've heard of in quite a while.

I'm not classed as an adult, and I have a PDA. Where do I stand?

Also I wonder if the management have realised that you can still do work on a normal phone. You've got to love strange advertisement schemes though.

Good point, I can't see this lasting and I am sure they will end it soon (if they havent already)

Hi Guys.

Just asking for some advice really.

I too am going to Alton Towers in June. I am 17 and have never been on a rollercoaster before, except the small ones like wild mouse etc. I am really excited and can't wait, but am still really nervous. Nemesis looks fantastic, and i really want to go on. I am just worried that I will chicken out at the last minute. Once strapped in, i'm sure it will be fine and i'll really enjoy it, but its just overcoming those nerves.

Can you give me any advice, and try to tell me what nemesis really feels like to ride.

Thanks

Thanks for the reply Wood Dragon 1988.

It's just that all my friends are going on nemesis, oblivion, rita, air and would just love to share the experience. If I don't go on, I know i'll kick myself afterwards when they're all saying how good it was.

It's not that I don't want to, I suppose it's just fear of the unknown really.

Thanks

Well once you have been on spinball whizzer you need to ride the rides I a logical order as to prepare your self for the scarier rides, I would suggest riding the big 4 coasters in this order:

-Air

-Rita

-Oblivion

-Nemisis

This way you shouldn't get too nervous about riding each ride. Air is a good, slow but fun start, Rita is just a fun launch coaster that doesn't go too fast (you could go on oblivion before this), Oblivion is slightly more scary due to the vertical drop so idealy ride this after Air and Rita. Finally once you have been on the other 3 coasters you should be more than ready for Nemisis. (If you still have a problem just get your friends to force you on it)

Another thing try to get all the big 4 coasters and spinball out of the way first to make sure you don't run out of time. Minetrain is boring so only ride it if you have the time and...

Have a great day!

P.S. If you are worried about time buy a fast pass!

• 2 weeks later...

Make your friends FORCE you to go on Nemesis first! But don't blame me if you're critical about every coaster you go on afterwards

Spinball is a fun coaster, and lots of kids go on it. You should be fine on that, and Nemesis is themed and renowned as a 'scary' coaster, but once your on it, there's nothing scary about it. I almost chickened out on Nemesis, as it was my first inverting coaster, but once I got to the top of the lift hill, all the scary thoughts went away, and the guy i was sitting next to told me that as we went into the first corkscrew I shouted "this is amazing!". I tell you that you will love nemesis, so go on it first!

Red Hot Chili Peppers - If You Want Me to Stay

via FoxyTunes

• 2 weeks later...