TPR Home | Parks | Twitter | Facebook | YouTube | Instagram 

Alton Towers Discussion Thread

p. 235: Nemesis Reborn announced for Spring 2024!

But it was a bit too dark and a bit vague why the room would have to turn upside down... The first madhouse of this type is still the best for me: "Villa Volta" at the Efteling.

But you could say the same for Villa Volta. There is no logical reason why the room should suddenly invert apart from the fact that there's a curse on the house. Admittedly, I haven't actually been on Villa Volta, but from what I've seen of it it doesn't look as good as Hex to me. You can see the framework for the spinning room and it's far too bright for a dark ride so it doesn't have any creepy atmosphere to it.

I still think it looks to be a good ride but it doesn't have the storyline or the detailed themeing of Hex. I still love the soundtrack though!

Generally speaking, i'd say Hex is probably one of Alton's jewels. Most of the rides you could say are 'bettered' somewhere else, but with Hex I don't imagine this to be the case.

I know a lot of people who have ridden other Haunted Swing's, and Hex always gets the vote. It's definitely got to be Tussauds best dark ride. The pre-shows make it, and the fact that it is located in a real historic castle make it even better.

Alton Towers oftem do their best when they use the very fabric of the parks history - as we are seeing for the new low-budget 'Haunted Hollow' attraction this year.

Certainly compared to The Haunting at Drayton Manor and Cassandra's Curse at Europa-Park, Hex wipes the floor.

@CGM: well, somewhere you're probably right. I'm also a bit biased because I'm dutch...

Hex is a very good one, it's creepy, really a thrill. Location is very good chosen. But I still don't understand why the room has to turn upside down. As you said for VV: it's just a curse, but what about Hex? Those experiments on the branch? Hex's story is the thing I don't really understand, especially in combination with a madhouse.

On VV: great themeing, the shows are great (at least when you're dutch...), the story is great, soundtrack (CGM, you know the soundtrack?) is perfect and just the things you can see when it's a bright, large room. Apart from the creaking and background sounds (which are in all madhouses) it's a great ride! And for me the reason why I still have VV on the number one spot.

@AstroDancer: I think almost all madhouses are better than "Cassandra's". Merlin's Castle at Walibi World is creepy, but very childish creepy and just like VV it's dutch spoken. The madhouse at Phantasialand (forgot the name, sorry) is a nice one. The haunting at DM isn't creepy, that's horror! The first show is good, the second a bit "over the top" and then the madhouse itself: it's great! Especially the last part! Then comes Hex in my list and the top of the list: VV.

Of course there are more, but these are the ones I've been to.

Actually, regarding Cassandra, I went in summer last year - and Europa had added kind of massaging punches into your rear. Really took me by suprise and had everyone shrieking.

Is this a feature on any other Mad houses?

(I am aware Cassandra is the Mack model as opposed to Hex which is Vekoma)

Actually, regarding Cassandra, I went in summer last year - and Europa had added kind of massaging punches into your rear. Really took me by suprise and had everyone shrieking.

Is this a feature on any other Mad houses?

(I am aware Cassandra is the Mack model as opposed to Hex which is Vekoma)

Well, those punches, isn't that just the machinery? Mack has probably a somewhat different system, so it's possible. I must say that the movement on all madhouses are a bit crappy when you really are focusing on it.

I do not tend to ride these "Haunted Swings" due to my middle ear condition, I tend to get dizzy and can't walk straight for a while after the ride has finished.

I have been on all 3 and find "Villa Volta" at Efteling the best even though I could not understand what the guy was saying.

Hex and Drayton's are good rides for their parks, but you can't beat Efteling for it's theaming.

People love this coaster as:

1) It was indoor's and in darkness, 100 times better than X: NWO

2) Had a great lift hill with a Spaceman, music and lights (shmae no lasers)

3) Hit the brakes at full speed and got blinded by a Spotlight.

I think the tent could house a Euro-Fighter model, or another spinning coaster which can have effects like Scooby Doo in Aus

Regarding a woodie at AT will be very difficult to pass the plans due to the locals hating the Park, objecting to everything which AT trys to install.

I would love to see a woodie at AT, this is what they need to have esp if the ride is in a wooded section.

The Log Flume could be "scrapped" and a Woodie can be built in that area.

My first Mad House in a park was the old Town Hall Meeting at Hersheypark. It was housed in the old Cinema 180 building, and is now a game room next to the Claw. My first Haunted Swing was Houdini's Great Escape at SFGAdv.

I also remember a traveling ride called Barrel of Fun which was basically a platform with two motorized tea cups that spins inside a barrel that spun around.

Menghini on Villa Volta - Efteling:

On VV: great themeing, the shows are great (at least when you're dutch...),

Do you think language is really that much of a problem? I mean, people can read the story in four different languages in the Q-line. After you know the simple story it's suspense, atmospere and illusion that should do the trick. I know the story of VV by heart, but the ride still works for me. They might just as well do the pre-shows in Chines for me.

That is the one "Je regret" that I knew I had with me on the TPR UK Tour back in June, last year.

I had known about The Black Hole since it first 'appeared' at that far end of the Alton Towers property.

And no matter how (ultimately) cheesy or just wierd one of these indoor coasters can be (thankyou BPB Space Invadersss )... you know you gotta ride them at least once hmmm?

Too bad. Sorry it wasn't open "back then." Thanks for sharing what's (mostly) left inside of it, heh heh.

Too bad the Arabian Nights haunted swing "wasn't in operation", during our June Tour last year. At Southport? Might have been fun to try, with Uber Cheese in there I'm sure...

Of course, that wasn't The Only Thing(s) down for that memorable park visit.

(two - OMG - two coasters down in one friggin' park!!!! Arrrrrgh.)

I'm better now. But still - HEX is a pretty good swing... to be swung in, heh heh.

^Meh. I guess I can agree with you.

Although I REALLY enjoy most indoor coasters. They are all normally unique in some way, and its interesting to see how some places theme them...or..lack there of (X:/NO WAY OUT!)

But Space Invaders 2 was really neat! I enjoyed it a lot. But Like i said, they are all different in some way! Anywho, just my opinion...

-Ryan

I have ridden 5 Vekoma haunted swings, Hex, Villa Volta, The Haunting, Merlins Magic Castle and the one at Walibi Belgium.

I would say out of them Hex is just the best closely followed by Villa Volta.

Hex is a perfect ride for Alton. Being housed inside the Towers, the music and the story all work together so well. Also having seen the actual chained oak in person it means a bit more.

• 1 month later...

The Mack Powered 'Runaway Mine Train' attraction located in the Katanga Canyon area of Alton Towers re-opened for Easter weekend, having been closed due to a fairly major accident in July 2006. The train is currently only about 2/3 in length as the other 1/3 is still to be returned by Mack, so capacity is a little on the dodgy side, but the train should be full size by next month.

It was great to get back on it. The whole area has life again! It's a well themed ride, which interacts well with the terrain and adjacent Congo River Rapids ride.

I'm really happy!

• 1 month later...

We will be going to Europe in a few days, and of course, we will be going to Alton Towers. I'm in the dark on what to do first and what order we should do things to get the least possible lines. Any help will be appreciated.

Thanks,

MummyAW

If you are not traveling with children and plan on doing every good ride you should try to get to Willy Wonka's first. The line gets long and the park has a policy of not letting adults ride without cildren, but they are lenient with the rule at opening.

I'm not sure how familiar you are with non-coasters in the park but the non-coasters that should not be missed are:

Duel - great shooting dark ride

Hex - Vekoma Mad House in a castle

Log Flume - best and wettest log flume outside of Orlando or Anaheim

What you should do:

1. Enter parking lot toll gate road

2. Pay parking attendant

3. Find parking spot

4. Get out of car

5. Remember to take keys with you

6. Lock car

7. Remember where you parked car

8. Walk to front gate area

9. Purchase tickets

10. Walk to turn stiles

11. Present ticket to ticket taker

12. Walk through turnstile

13. Prepare to be amazed

14. Enjoy park!

Honestly what larygator said. Also think about hitting AIR earlier in the day as the loading time seemed to take forever on it.

Go straight for Nemesis. It'll get a 3 hour queue by 11am. Go to Air next.

Next will be Rita and Corkscrew, don't do corkscrew unless you really want to scare yourself.

Head for the X Sector and do Oblivion. The queue never reached more than 10mins for this, so it should be clear.

Head back to the entrance to do Spinball.

Brief but simple.