TPR Home | Parks | Twitter | Facebook | YouTube | Instagram 

Alton Towers Discussion Thread

p. 235: Nemesis Reborn announced for Spring 2024!

unfortunately and the price to pay. the park no longer works, or better: it does not make any more money

these are the conditions to stay open

(without considering that alton, he has killed investments in other parks)

Is this English?

A purer form than you or I could ever comprehend.

unfortunately and the price to pay. the park no longer works, or better: it does not make any more money

Is this English?

Merlin to save Alton took the money away from all the other parks

Is this English?

Merlin to save Alton took the money away from all the other parks

I thought it was the other way around? Up until the Smiler crash Alton was the cash cow, propping up the other resort theme parks?

in reality they were Alton and Gardaland. then after the accident with the alton

only Gardaland kept the company (theme parks division, no legoland). but Merlin was able to sink Gardaland too

I tell you, Merlin sells the parks and only keeps Legoland

in reality they were Alton and Gardaland. then after the accident with the alton

only Gardaland kept the company (theme parks division, no legoland). but Merlin was able to sink Gardaland too

I tell you, Merlin sells the parks and only keeps Legoland

From looking at the accounts (I know, yawn) Alton made more profit in 2016 than Thorpe and Chessinton combined, so I don't know where that's coming from. i just think Alton is a nice scapegoat because of the Smiler incident

I would imagine the money is coming from the hotels at Alton. I live just outside London and have a 6 and a 2 year old and I never visit Chessington or Thorpe (Thorpe for obvious reasons), Chessington hasn't had any real investment for years now apart from the two new hotels. I would still always prefer to visit Alton as it just has a nicer atmosphere, the new coaster will also help. I find Legoland incredibly expensive.

I would have thought with the new coaster, Merlin would be going all out on great customer service this year to make people remember how good their visit was, people that may not have been for a while. Seems counter productive to open a big new ride (heavy marketing) and increased attendance and then actively try and make peoples visit worse.

After the announcement of the changes to the opening times of several rides, Alton Towers has now updated their website with this statement.

We look forward to welcoming you to Alton Towers Theme Park. We offer early access to the theme park for Merlin Annual Pass holders and Resort Hotel guests with a selection of rides and attractions available for your enjoyment including our brand new ride for 2018 Wicker Man.

Theme Park opens to all other guests from 10am with over half our rides available, with all other rides and attractions to be open by 11am at the latest every day. Park open and close hours will always be flexible to ensure we can give our guests great experiences – if the park is busy we’ll always do our best to stay open!

So all of the rides will now be operational by 11:00, and Congo River Rapids will also be open for the entire length of the season!

Do I have to be the first one here to point out how freaking slow this coaster it? Even if it gets faster as time goes by... damn that's a kiddy woodie and not a world class experience xD

It looks like they stopped the train on the lift a few times - they may be testing it completely under gravity (center of the train at the very top, and then let go at 0 mph) to make sure it can get through the circuit without valleying, before later letting it go over at the desired speed of the lift hill.

• 3 weeks later...

I just want to point out that these images are for promotional purposes. Many of the effects used in these pictures won't actually be in use when the coaster opens to the public.

As the park is only open during the day, bar a few weeks at the end of October, the lighting and fog effects wouldn't nearly be as effective as they are in the pictures released today.

Having said that, the coasters theming sure does look absolutely fantastic, even without the extra lighting and smoke effects!