TPR Home | Parks | Twitter | Facebook | YouTube | Instagram 

Alton Towers Discussion Thread

p. 235: Nemesis Reborn announced for Spring 2024!

Looks like I picked 2018 as the perfect year to go to the UK for the first time. Alton Towers is getting a new coaster and Blackpool is getting a new coaster. Awesome! Thorpe isn't getting one, but I'm hitting what looks to be the best three parks in the UK next year.

Did that movie do well in the UK? I don't think most people in the US even remember that film.

Don't think so, but I guess its the only IP that really goes with a wooden coaster. I hadn't even heard of it until now!

Part 2 of the Nemesis monster's refurbishment is complete

The monster refurbishment is such a huge task to scenically repaint, it's actually scheduled over 4 years, with next year being the back of the station and the following year the roof.

Unfortunately we still don't have a solution for turning the water red again, it's still in our long term intentions to get it back, however it will require a significant change to the current set up in how the water is stored and used.

Unfortunately even a substance that is harmless to the environment can still cause visual pollution in rivers and as such on instruction from the environment agency we cannot reintroduce dye at this time.

Source: 'Towers Loving Care' Facebook page.

C6f4nqNXMAAZo0b.thumb.jpg.11ae2ef12096cf70c0dad6dc4f352d7d.jpg

C6f4sAhXMAEcqmi.thumb.jpg.8327d4d1e181f0d0d7869e33cc4f6377.jpg

C6f4xAoWYAMGkJ0.thumb.jpg.a8608d120ef5455867f9049772c4059a.jpg

Edited by Moley

When photos of The Flume being demolished were put on twitter, or facebook, can't remember which, they had a caption saying something along the lines of "clearing the area for "The Wicker Man" ride". The post was quickly deleted, and there was speculation at the time that it would be the name of the coaster, I thought it could just be a codename they were using (SW seems these days to be geared more towards being something they use to hype up enthusiasts rather than an in-house project name). But I think this trademark application all but confirms that it will be the name.

I know it is quite an unusual name for a coaster, but remember this is the same park that called their last 3 big coasters RITA, Th13teen and The Smiler.

It will most probably not be themed to either of the movies but to what the movies were based on, Pagan and Druid rituals. There is supposed to be a big themeing element where the old flume station was. My guess is that will either be a wickerman statue, or possibly a model of stone henge.

On the plans the entrance to the queue line is in Mutiny Bay. Not sure how this would fit into a Pirates theme, so could be seeing a re-theme of the area.

Seems quite a dark theme for a family ride. Hopefully they have learnt from their mistakes with Th13teen when it comes to marketing it.

Edited by thedazza

Did that movie do well in the UK? I don't think most people in the US even remember that film.

Can say the same for Arthur and The Invisibles

http://www.boxofficemojo.com/movies/?page=intl&id=arthurandtheinvisibles.htm

Made a little over 15m in the US and Europa made a whole land about it.

And what about that "Waterworld" flick, hmm?

Attractions based on "box office failed" movies still happen.

Wierd, but true.

db_ART_AtantisBase1.jpg.481567aa18332008fd2433ab647b18c9.jpg

What never came to be, because the animated film did not $ucceed.

In DL's submarine lagoon, a long, long time ago. Then, they Nemo-ed it.

Can say the same for Arthur and The Invisibles

http://www.boxofficemojo.com/movies/?page=intl&id=arthurandtheinvisibles.htm

Made a little over 15m in the US and Europa made a whole land about it.

I believe the books the film is based on are very popular in France and as Europa is on thr German-French border a lot of their visitors from France so in it made sense for their clientele. They aren't trying to attract Americans.

While the Wicker Man on the other hand doesn't really make sense at all. Yes it is a classic British film from the 70s but do enough people in the UK know of it for that to be an attractive IP?

From a theming prospective it could look impressive with a large wicker man in the area that the coaster goes around or even through.

Thirteen was a bit of a dark theme for a family coaster but pagans setting people on fire is on a whole new level for a family ride theme.

This weekend saw Services Day (emergency services, NHS and armed forces) at the park and another twist in the SW8 story. The park map for the event, which has also been updated to include the reopening Hex and Driving School, indicates that the ride will be considered part of Gloomy Wood, which is currently only home to Duel.

2018map.thumb.jpg.072cf0123ddaf5f37ff93078aa662ad1.jpg

fghjk.jpg.c63e0009f41e9db4bf1741a6b1794d59.jpg

Merlin maps are some of the ugliest maps I've ever seen. Everything about it is an eyesore. It took me forever to find where SW8 was!

Honestly you should of seen thorpe parks like 5 years ago, Stealth took up half the map literally.

^^This years Thorpe map is also terrible, i totally agree with what was said about them being an eye sore. There's too much going on and if you were actually using them to navigate you'd be in trouble!

Edited by RyanTPM

This appeared on the Alton Towers Facebook page last night... wonder what's going on

VR on The Smiler?

Yea, that´s what stroke my mind right away. And I hope it´s not the case. The smiler doesn´t need such a treatment and if made obligatory, it will just ruin entire coaster.

^^This years Thorpe map is also terrible, i totally agree with what was said about them being an eye sore. There's too much going on and if you were actually using them to navigate yo'd be in trouble!

Especially at Alton, in Thorpe you can always see everything from almost anywhere in the park whereas at Alton its easy to get lost.

This appeared on the Alton Towers Facebook page last night... wonder what's going on

VR on The Smiler?

Yeah so if that happens I somehow feel like I'm probably not gonna feel like really ever going through the trouble of going to alton if the only thing holy is nemesis (although if the VR craze doesn't end by 2022 they'll probably turn that into some VR experience too)