TPR Home | Parks | Twitter | Facebook | YouTube | Instagram 

Alton Towers Discussion Thread

p. 235: Nemesis Reborn announced for Spring 2024!

What about these Samsung phones makes VR look alright at such a close distance? Mirrors in the goggles? If I were to look at my phone 6 inches from my face for 10 seconds my eyes would be burning and not able to focus.

What about these Samsung phones makes VR look alright at such a close distance? Mirrors in the goggles? If I were to look at my phone 6 inches from my face for 10 seconds my eyes would be burning and not able to focus.

I am curious about this too! Many people have blurred vision from that close up too.

You know I really like that clip. Not only does it look polished and detailed (at least to my untrained eye), but it SOUNDS great. I really like the ambient noises but even more I like the music! If they can deliver for what they are promising with that build-up of tension, I actually don't mind that they added this VR element. However this will be very vulnerable to technical hiccups, so we can only hope for the best.

Do I remember correctly, that the syncing is done with monitoring the speed (and that way the travelled distance) of the running wheel? Is this done in each car separately or just in one car and scaled to other cars, does anyone know?

It does show off some of the potential in VR, being able to add a completely new storyline to an existing ride. I haven't tried VR so I have no idea what it could be like, but I would definitely give it a try.

You know I really like that clip. Not only does it look polished and detailed (at least to my untrained eye), but it SOUNDS great. I really like the ambient noises but even more I like the music! If they can deliver for what they are promising with that build-up of tension, I actually don't mind that they added this VR element. However this will be very vulnerable to technical hiccups, so we can only hope for the best.

Do I remember correctly, that the syncing is done with monitoring the speed (and that way the travelled distance) of the running wheel? Is this done in each car separately or just in one car and scaled to other cars, does anyone know?

Here is the rest of the music, taken from the Galactica mobile game app. Produced by IMAScore.

Whether it is actually the full soundtrack remains to be seen. Could be that they have done 75 minutes of music to use on various sections of the ride like they did with The Smiler.

Today Alton Towers have released a preview video of Galactica VR.

[youtu_be]

[/youtu_be]

This... Looks... Awesome!! I can't wait to try out a VR Coaster this summer. Not because I think it is going to be out of this world amazing, but I think it is going to provide a unique experience that I want to try at least once.

I can't be the only one who secretly hopes that one day during one ride the whole video starts as the ride dispatches then this comes up.

I can see this happening at Six Flags on one of their VR Coasters.

^Actually, to myself, that does bring up that question, what if?

I am thinking, humans don't do too well in total darkness.

Just an observation. And I don't do too well in total darkness, myself.

Hi!

This summer I'm going to Alton Towers. A friend lives in England and we will visit the resort but for only one day. I know that I can't visit all the places and all the rides in just one day. Are the lines in the Park very long on summer week days? It's necessary to buy the fastpass?

Thanks.

Hi!

This summer I'm going to Alton Towers. A friend lives in England and we will visit the resort but for only one day. I know that I can't visit all the places and all the rides in just one day. Are the lines in the Park very long on summer week days? It's necessary to buy the fastpass?

Thanks.

^Week days are always quieter regardless of the time of year, but in the summer Alton is usually very busy. I've been once in July for the last three years and haven't needed any fast pass but when i went the weather wasn't good and last year, just a month after the accident, visitor numbers were low so this year could be different. Hard to predict really but i wouldn't say Fast pass is a necessary.

Before the summer holidays it can get busy because of school trips, but even during Summer holidays last year it wasn't too busy. Maybe just buy Fastrack when you're there if you need it. I certainly wouldn't recommend buying it before you go. Remember you can see queue times on ridetimes.co.uk so maybe monitor that in the week(s) before you go so that you know what crowd levels are like.

My plan of action with the park is always to work from Forbidden Valley down through Katanga Canyon, across to X Sector and then across to the Dark Forest, although not sure how Galactica will change things this year (if Galactica makes X Sector busy first thing in the morning I guess it might be worth doing it backwards, starting in the Dark Forest).

In other news!

Here's an article on John Wardley and his thoughts on Galactica: http://www.birminghammail.co.uk/whats-on/family-kids-news/alton-towers-galactica-replace-air-11023240

Also, is each row staggered because if the front row is going over the lift the back row is still on the lift, and if all the VR's are synced it would be a mess...

From what I've heard they have installed numerous sensors on the trains themselves, so I imagine these will be used to make sure the footage syncs with the movement of the coaster for each row.