TPR Home | Parks | Twitter | Facebook | YouTube | Instagram 

Alton Towers Discussion Thread

p. 235: Nemesis Reborn announced for Spring 2024!

It was ranked pretty high in Mitch hawker I assume it was a good ride. Looks amazing to me.. Remember that inversion after inversion can be done right; just look at rides like nemesis, or alpengeist, or kumba. This even has airtime and unique elements mixed in.

^Is Smiler really that overwhelmingly popular? I haven't been keeping up but I never thought the layout looked that good, nothing but inversion after inversion. Is it really that good a ride?

I think Eurofighters always look cooler than they actually ride. Not sure why (might it be related to the short trains?). Just not my cup of tea.

^Is Smiler really that overwhelmingly popular? I haven't been keeping up but I never thought the layout looked that good, nothing but inversion after inversion. Is it really that good a ride?

Smiler is weird, I can't work out if I like it or not... I think it's probably a high 6/10. It can be quite rough but I do actually like the layout and although it is loop after loop, there is a lot of variety with the inversions so it doesn't feel that repetitive. My biggest problem with it is that it feels like 2 coasters one after the other because of the mid course lift hill which seems to take ages because you wait at the bottom of it.

I also agree with Ed Farmer. I always love Gerstlauer's layouts but none of their coasters have really shaken up my top 10 or even top 25 yet.

Everyone I know who has been on it (i.e. the GP) has said they really liked it. More than anything it actually made me laugh as its a lot of fun, so I guess it did its job

^Excellent news. Pleased Spinball is open now too, be interesting to see if anyone notices any changes in the way its run, given the changes reported last week for the other coasters when the park reopened.

Very pleased given we're due for a hotel stay at the resort in 2 days time, was getting a bit worried it would still be shut. In terms of the investigation does anyone know if this means the HSE have left the site now?

In other news, Kay Burley's interview whilst getting many complaints will not be investigated by Ofcom. Whilst a little harsh, the interview didn't break any of the rules so there's nothing to really investigate.

www.mirror.co.uk/news/uk-news/alton-towers-crash-ofcom-not-5885947

The Smilers name and logo have been removed from the Entrance sign

Hmm....I am surprised they removed them entirely rather than covering them up.

It wouldn't surprise me if they are looking at changing the name and branding of the ride after the investigation is complete. The fact is the name "The Smiler" will be linked to this incident in everyones mind and when people see the name they will relate to it. People are very naive when it comes to thing like this and a simple name change will be enough to get people back on, plus reduce the amount of people going around the park saying "OMG that Smiler ride is well dangerous, I died 72 times and got a finger shoved up my backside by it cause it is scariest thing evaaaarrrrrrrrrrrr".

^ With this being England I think that would be the best choice. Because, no offence meant here but in England people are a little more on the news side then the fact side. As elsewhere this would pass like a cold and that would never been spoken of again, I learned that in England the news can literally make or break someone or something. That is something I've concluded from a distance, perhaps English people might feel different about that. So renaming the Smiler, in my eyes, might be something Alton Towers can do to flip the coaster image to something positive again.

I died 72 times and got a finger shoved up my backside by it cause it is scariest thing evaaaarrrrrrrrrrrr".

They should use this in their commercials.

^ With this being England I think that would be the best choice. Because, no offence meant here but in England people are a little more on the news side then the fact side. As elsewhere this would pass like a cold and that would never been spoken of again, I learned that in England the news can literally make or break someone or something. That is something I've concluded from a distance, perhaps English people might feel different about that. So renaming the Smiler, in my eyes, might be something Alton Towers can do to flip the coaster image to something positive again.

You're right, people here seem to be very much on the news side. I personally find it hard to even read some Daily Mail articles as I get so angry so quickly ( how immigrants and people on benefits are ruining the country), yet people lap it right up without really thinking too much.

I think a name change as mentioned above would do good to immediately distance the ride from this horrible incident. A fresh start if you will.

11250994_10206164838671512_2425469334688761549_n.jpg?oh=4067311587209cdba81dd5220c45e529&oe=55F833A6

But do you think that changing the name and theme of the smiler will be good for the ride/park? I think that they will get shit by news stations for changing the name and "trying to mislead the visitors" and this kind of crap and they will lose even more visitors. On the other hand, if people forget about it, it could be OK.

They might have plans for a different theme already though.

^I do think it is the best direction for the park if I'm honest. The media will try to sensationalise it when it re-opens thats to be expected but from a visitor stand point I feel it will be more beneficial. I don't believe any loss of visitors they have now will increase further, we are past that point and it is now becoming old news so if anything I believe slowly but surely the numbers will come back up.

^Things do indeed have a tendency to become old news very quickly, and it wouldn't surprise me if more and more people go from "I'm never going on it again" to "how much longer is this going to be closed, I wanna ride".

Obviously it's speculation, but I think renaming the ride would be a good move as I think as a brand 'Smiler' is damaged. Merlin are all about "the brand", and I think with this accident and the ride's previous history the name Smiler will always sit awkwardly with the GP.

I'm actually a brand consultant so this side of thing is really interesting to me, so I wonder if Alton Towers will rename/brand the ride, and will make a huge announcement to this affect. I can totally see when they plan to reopen the ride how they will go to great lengths to say 'we have changed this', 'we have improved that' and 'we have added this' so that this can never happen again. And there is no better way to underline this fact by announcing a new name almost as if they are wiping the slate clean.