TPR Home | Parks | Twitter | Facebook | YouTube | Instagram 

Alton Towers Discussion Thread

p. 235: Nemesis Reborn announced for Spring 2024!

So, apparantely the Octonauts coaster was evacuated. There a big report about it HERE. Because theres a lot of danger on a single train kiddie coaster which stopped as it should.

The guy who has been quoted in the story decided to leave the park at that point and complain to guest services because 'They did absolutely nothing to stop the children and parents going into that part of the park to witness what was going on.' Sounds like they only evacuated because one of the passengers got agitated anyway, normally it would be reset.

Maybe its just me but I would've thought you'd be better off explaining to your child whats going on and that the people aren't in any danger, rather than removing them immediately from the park. Each to their own I suppose.

This will be the same Octonaughts Ride that I "Broke" on opening day because I was "too big for the ride" (They said to me "this ride is for Children not adults" - I'm 5'10", 14 stone.. so not over large!).

As was mentioned previously, Every single thing will be under a microscope and scrutinised to the n'th degree. However as for people being complete arses and blowing things out of proportion.... Dont even get me started....

The tragedy in Alton Towers is truly sad, I feel bad for the injured and their families. I also feel bad for Alton Towers also b/c I know this bad press is tough to deal with and the roller coaster is their newest addition to the park and was a big investment. I feel like alot of Alton Towers rides are not as thrilling as Smiler is. I wonder will the ride ever open and will people ever trust the ride again. I wonder if they will be forced to sell the ride and let it go?

The Smiler is running today. It isn't open ofcourse, but it has been testing today with water dummies. Most likely being run by HSE as part of their investigation.

Here is a pic from towerstimes.

This is awesome. It is a world class coaster, I hope Alton Towers can bounce back from this

Well in a more positive move, The Guardian have updated the article (or replaced it with another) titled:

Alton Towers ride evacuated because technical delay panicked customer

Which good because it points out the fact nothing was actually wrong and the customer caused the evacuation. However, they report the ride is going to be closed ALL DAY today whilst they thoroughly investigate it.

So, ever since The Smiler accident, the media now want you to believe Alton Towers is genuinely falling to pieces.

A large metal clip was found supposedly under Air.

As for the Runaway Train, even a late opening actually makes the news now.

Edited by Purplepills

To be honest, with the number of rides they have closed with the investigation, they really shouldn't be doing phased opening of rides at the moment.

The clip under Air could have been from anything. I'd be tempted not to share any of these sensationalist stories as they're all basically clickbait anyway.... they don't care what they report or how accurate it is, so long as they get the hits.

So, ever since The Smiler accident, it seems Alton Towers is genuinely falling to pieces.

A large metal clip was found supposedly under Air.

As for the Runaway Train, even a late opening actually makes the news now.

Daily Mail

Interesting - Sounds like the Daily mail are now lying about events at the park. This was then copied by ITV news... This is getting ridiculous....

twitter2.jpg.cf8bb285228c8a51bb5814a99625d924.jpg

I don't see how so many people are surprised by the way the media are treating the park at the moment. Most people on here visit parks on a regular basis, some have done or do currently work at parks. We all have a basic idea of the way a park runs and what happens on a day to day basis i.e breakdowns, evacuations etc, the media don't have a clue about these things and are far to lazy to research them. After what happened they instantly assume everything that happens on park now is related to The Smiler and will of course write about it because they want to sell papers, they want hits on their sites so they can get money from advertisers. Yes its annoying for us and I'm sure that Merlins press team are having a nightmare of a time at the moment but the reality is this happens with any other major news story regardless of the topic. The longer they can drag the story out the more money they make from it.

To me the main concern of this whole thing is the people who were involved getting back to normality as soon as possible or in the sad case of the girl who lost her leg starting her rehabilitation.

Interestingly, by posting the link to their article, you're only helping their cause which is solely to get hits on their website to get money from ads. The smart thing to do is just walk away or click away and not bring any attention to it

Exactly. You would think that we would be smarter than that. Even though our intention was to inform others and be critical towards the media, in turn, that intention backfires and turns in the media's favor with more publicity, views, etc.

I have a strict "no mention of any Kardashian/Jenner" policy in my household. Even if it's to be critical of them, 5 seconds spent talking about them is 5 seconds too many. The day we stop giving them attention will be the day they all become irrelevant. Even though we all know that will never happen

Front page of Mail on Sunday calling it "the Alton Towers Disaster".

Don't know whether or is more appropriate.

The interview from the daily mail with one of the crash victims is here: http://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/article-3123056/Our-agony-Smiler-Alton-Towers-victim-reveals-hell-waiting-hours-rescue-comforted-girlfriend-lost-leg-change-them.html

Regardless of sensationalist headlines, it does seem like just his genuine thoughts and upsets rather than a smear campaign on Alton Towers or ride safety, though he does ask why none of the staff spotted the empty train sitting there and called it in, I did notice he took time to mention this:

Joe added: ‘Alton Towers have been really good to us after the crash, making sure my parents and Leah’s family are looked after in hotels and everything and announcing that we won’t have to sue them to get a settlement.’
Edited by Garet

I am not a fan of the Daily Mail but that is a very interesting interview, and it is interesting to hear his thoughts and very sad to hear how it will affect his life and that of his girlfriend's. I understand how he's angry that the park didn't realise there was a stalled train. Even now it seems strange how an accident like this can happen on such a modern ride in a park that takes safety so seriously.

Some folks here just love to find things to complain about. And if there isn't really anything worth complaining about, then they find something that's not worth complaining about and then complain about it. That family that left when they saw an evac just wasted their kids day because they were grumpy, and of course they think its all someone else's fault. Its just a shame that these are the people that get quotes in papers as the 'public opinion'. Jeremy Kyle syndrome in full effect.

I am not a fan of the Daily Mail but that is a very interesting interview

Indeed, nice to actually see something from that paper that just appears to be a genuine interview without all the crap surrounding it which has been put out in the last week and a half. No sensationalism, just giving him a platform to tell his side of it.

Thought I'd just look at the ride times out of interest since I'm there this time next week. Whilst the times are low, the number of thrill rides open vs those closed doesn't make nice reading...

It's rotten timing for anyone making a trip across the pond, but I'd probably forget that the rest of this park existed as long as Nemesis was open and that listed wait time was accurate. What the hell is a Smiler anyway?

(I realize I'm in an all but nonexistent minority on this)