TPR Home | Parks | Twitter | Facebook | YouTube | Instagram 

Alton Towers Discussion Thread

p. 235: Nemesis Reborn announced for Spring 2024!

Glad to see it's back up and running. I'm sure they just wanted to leave it closed until the end of the season so they can do full maintenance on it but with 2 of the busiest days coming up this weekend they had no choice but to get it back up and running.

I may be there Sunday so will see how it is then. I hope it has a more reliable 2014 season!

How is Alton with single-rider lines? I'll be there alone, so that could save me quite a bit of time!

I don't have much experience on the weekends, but they were operating Single Rider when I was there midweek in early October. Standard line for The Smiler was an hour, single rider was a walk on. Could have ridden all day if It wasn't so damn rough.

I'm pretty sure they operate single rider for Nemesis & Oblivion too.

Had an absolutely amazing day at the park yesterday, many thanks to Neil and Jason for showing me around all day! Scored a ride on every coaster plus Sub-Terra, Hex, and Duel - including 3 laps on Nemesis in the morning and another 7 at the end of the night!

Smiler was running very well - the three of us had a front-row ride mid-afternoon and the only real jolt was coming out of the cobra roll. Other than that, very smooth ride with no rattle or headbanging at all! Definitely a good surprise, not only because they managed to open it before the weekend but because I was expecting a much less comfortable ride. Hopefully the work they do over the off-season can guarantee more rides like ours yesterday all season!

• 3 weeks later...

It was. They did it superbly we'll and I think they managed to reinforce to people that alton.towers has not lost its magic. The atmosphere was amazing, staff great, excellently organised and the fireworks were really awesome.

^There hasn't been anything significant yet that i've seen and I don't belive there will be until at least February half term. Unless the park do release updates themselves. Even then though they could very easily block of the area around the land to hide as much as possible.

-Craig

• 1 month later...
Anyone know any updates on Cbeebies Land?

Towertimes has been updating over the last few days with the new rides although not being target audience of the new tv shows and also not having been in that area of the park on previous visits that is being refurbished into cbeebies land, I have no idea which of these are brand new rides or old rides/play areas redecorated although the last one is confirmed as a retheme of the boat ride: http://old.towerstimes.co.uk/index.php.

• 2 weeks later...

I'm suprised it has taken this long for there to be a UK postman pat car ride (retheme of Mcdonalds farm),Interesting to see the re-theme includes Squirrel Nutty i'd assumed they'd leave that and sonic spinball as their own little areas still, when does segas sponsorship of spinball end? I wonder if they'll re theme it somehow so cbeebies land can take over the whole corner of the park.

I'm suprised it has taken this long for there to be a UK postman pat car ride (retheme of Mcdonalds farm),Interesting to see the re-theme includes Squirrel Nutty i'd assumed they'd leave that and sonic spinball as their own little areas still, when does segas sponsorship of spinball end? I wonder if they'll re theme it somehow so cbeebies land can take over the whole corner of the park.

I too was a little surprised about them retheming the Squirrel Nutty Ride. I think the problem is that the ride travels over the Farm/Cbeebies Land but the station is just before to the left of the area so I guess trying to pull it all together kinda makes sense. I wish they would somehow re route the queue for Squirrel Nutty Ride around to Cbeebies Land rather than accessing it opposite to Sonic, bring it round so the queue starts where the Dungheap playground was or to the new outdoor performance area. Doing this would make it seem a full on part of the new land and also help to keep Sonic Spinball a separate area.

It's just Sonic Spinball that's all alone in it's sort of area. I would say it would be a good thing to tie it into Cbeebies Land but I personally feel it's too much of a "big, scary" ride for the demographic of Cbeebies. If the area had been CBBC Land then it would have made a lot more sense and would tie in perfectly. Maybe Sonic will just sit there all on it's own for a while.

I think i'm right in saying that the Sega sponsorship deal has now expired, so it could well be that it is also re-themed and included as part of cbeebies land. Although i'm sure the Long Term Development Plan that was released did mention the possibility of spinball being either relocated to a different part of the park or removed completely, so who knows?

I may be totally wrong but I thought the Sega license had 1 year left? It would make sense for it to expire now though and either pull the theme in with cBeebies Land or return it to Spinball Whizzer pre Sonic.

I'm really interested to hear if anything has been done on The Smiler over the closed season. I expect it has but would be great to hear or see some of the changes made.

I may be totally wrong but I thought the Sega license had 1 year left? It would make sense for it to expire now though and either pull the theme in with cBeebies Land or return it to Spinball Whizzer pre Sonic.

I'm really interested to hear if anything has been done on The Smiler over the closed season. I expect it has but would be great to hear or see some of the changes made.

Completely random thoughts but If it did have a year left I wonder if they would see how well the angry birds land does at Thorpe Park and take advantage of that to bring the theme over, I realize alton towers already has a 4D movie but I could see them keeping spinball whizzer as it's own area but re-theme it and put a small attraction in on beasties spot (perhaps a copy of the bumper cars TP will get) and re-theme that little play area to an angry birds design so they have another new area to market in 2015.