TPR Home | Parks | Twitter | Facebook | YouTube | Instagram 

Alton Towers Discussion Thread

p. 235: Nemesis Reborn announced for Spring 2024!

Poor Neil...I'm sure he's just gutted that he didn't get to ride his favorite ride!

I am now totally devastated!!!!!! What am I going to do now!!! I was soooo excited for the insanely speedy section!

Just to add this in: bolts on steel coasters, especially in that area (the track joint bolts) break fairly commonly. This was why CA Screamin at DCA replaced the entire loop not long ago. It usually ends up a material defect or a grade 2 bolt being put where a grade 3 is required. Or just stress, as these bolts are hard to inspect for wear. And as ST says, on busy weekends inspections are somewhat rushed, sometimes a small indication gets missed. Thankfully the ride was stopped and no further issues happened (although the most that would happen is a kinda rough ride and some damaged road wheels).

Yeah, this happens to Colossus every so often. Likely temperature stresses maybe just pushed it a bit too far combined perhaps with an unusually weak bolt. It'll be open again in no time.

Whilst I agree this can happen on coasters I really do feel Alton have had an absolute nightmare with this coaster. The Smiler is an £18 million pound ride and after all the problems they have had with it I really do think Gerstlauer need to provide answers. Altons PR team are not helping the situation either.

I really want to make the 400 mile round trip to Alton this year but think I will wait till scare fest before spending the amount of money I will to get there.

Some good news and bad news for regarding Alton Towers today.

Good news: The Smiler re-opened.

Bad news: The Runaway Minetrain appears to have split in 2, again.

Images from towerstimes facebook.

When this happened before a coupling broke, the train split into 2 parts and the 2 parts crashed into each other injuring the people on board.

There is no confirmation regarding that happening this time, no-one was on board at the time, and there are some suggestions that the ride broke down, and the train was taken into 2 pieces by the engineers in order to get the train back to the station. There has been no official word from the park yet as to what actually happened.

I guess you could say that the Runwaway Minetrain has

*sunglasses*

run away

Best first post ever

If the ride had split in 2 and crashed again the ride would have been covered in a tarp like before to hide it from guests. I'm pretty sure it was split in half to allow the engineers to get the train back up the hill. If the ride has had some sort of electrical fault the train won't be able to get up the hill under its own power. I also think if they could get power to the train I would put a lot of strain on the motors to pull the whole train up the hill slowly from the bottom of the hill. The engineers will most likley winch the train up the hill then couple it back together when both parts are in the station.

-Craig

I guess you could say that the Runwaway Minetrain has

*sunglasses*

run away

Best first post ever

Let's not get carried away here.

People over at another forum are reporting the Smiler was closed for a few days and re-opened on the 04/08, today. Just terrible if this is the case. I feel lucky to have ridden it given how many people must get turned away during The Smilers downtime.

Rumours from another forum suggest some 'work' on a support being undertaken and even a support 'sinking' ???