TPR Home | Parks | Twitter | Facebook | YouTube | Instagram 

Alton Towers Discussion Thread

p. 235: Nemesis Reborn announced for Spring 2024!

The advert reminds me of the advert for Nemesis. The music is exactly the same, with a supernatural theme to it.

Alton Towers uses the "in the hall of the Mountain king" theme like before Nemesis commercial. If you listen you here the tune in Air, Oblivion, th13teen and Spinball wizzer commercial as well (and the non coasters as well), it is slightly different in the tunes but its still the same song. Note that Rita isn't among them Rita was back from the days the park wanted to get away from the theme.

^^It looked like they had both cars on the one area of track but hard to tell. Good advert. So want to get corrected soon!

Yeh, one train was entering the batwing, while the other was exiting the batwing. Obviously that isn't going to happen on the real ride but it was referencing that the trains will duel.

Although if they did do that it would make it really interesting!

RE: Theme music in adverts (In the hall of the mountain king) - you can get a pretty good idea in this Youtube video which shows the adverts from 1994 to 2009 (although AT started using the theme before 1994).

2010 (Th13teen):

2011:

2012: (Sub Terra)

2013: (Smiler)

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=S6jGA3nXH9s

The theme follows!

^^It looked like they had both cars on the one area of track but hard to tell. Good advert. So want to get corrected soon!

Yeh, one train was entering the batwing, while the other was exiting the batwing. Obviously that isn't going to happen on the real ride but it was referencing that the trains will duel.

Has it been confirmed that they will actually duel? I thought that was still a rumour. If it does happen, I wonder how long it will last? I've seen idiots throwing things before at Thorpe Park, I'd think if they are synced so they go through the inversions close to one another it won't be too long before some idiot tries throwing something.

I was really hoping that guy was going to vomit. He looked like he was going to before he even left the station!

I forgot how about the 360 rotating track. How was that supposed to work again? Also, was the world's most loops the surprise? I got a little confused at the end about whether that was the surprise or not.

Mhm, a real shame that the dishwasher element will not be added to the ride (or so it seems. There is but a slim chance of it happening). The dueling idea is pretty cool too, but if as said, people ass about on it, that'll probably be dropped, if it happens at all. Can't wait to go in August!

I don't think the ride will "duel" as such, but if they're good on dispatches you could have a couple of trains going through the course simultaneously. By that logic most wild mice are dueling coasters though s I'm not sure it's a good term to use.

I was really hoping that guy was going to vomit. He looked like he was going to before he even left the station!

Maybe you've confused the "Smiler" with the "Hurler."

Preparing for a few days theme parking including at Alton Towers on thursday so i'll return with a ton of Smiler photos for you. Really can't wait. Should be good fun.

I'm not exactly hopeful for a duel on the Smiler. I'm guessing it was the intention with the two trains but I think, knowing Alton, they'll just dispatch as soon as they can and obviously when the blocks will allow them and I guess it would give a somewhat duelling effect at times if the timing is right.

With the two lift hills, they can dispatch as slowly or as quickly as they want and let the ride time itself to duel. You can't dispatch a train until one starts climbing the first lift anyway, which I imagine will probably be a solid 30-40 seconds. If you can dispatch the next one as soon as that one clears the indoor portion and starts climbing the lift, then the one before it then has that 40-odd seconds to run through the first half of the ride, which sounds about right. If the train behind is taking any longer, the one ahead can wait at the base of the vertical lift; if the first half of the ride, including the lift, takes longer than the indoor portion, than the train on the inside can wait at the base of the first lift. It doesn't seem that difficult...

Has it been confirmed that they will actually duel? I thought that was still a rumour. If it does happen, I wonder how long it will last? I've seen idiots throwing things before at Thorpe Park, I'd think if they are synced so they go through the inversions close to one another it won't be too long before some idiot tries throwing something.

Looks like it.

Edit: More delays

From Alton Towers official website.

Due to unforeseen teething problems, The Smiler will not be open on 23rd May.

Really is there a link, I couldn't find it on there page and no mention on the facebook, even on the ticket page it still says: Don't miss our world's first 14 looping rollercoaster, The Smiler! Experience the ultimate correctional device - a combination of 14 loops with a variety of marmalising special effects, get corrected from 23rd May 2013!

Looking around the smilers web-page and can't see it either. Why do I get the feeling all this will lead to sadly is more people complaining about their damn bogof dated vouchers (although this is why I try to never like a theme parks facebook page)

Really is there a link, I couldn't find it on there page and no mention on the facebook, even on the ticket page it still says: Don't miss our world's first 14 looping rollercoaster, The Smiler! Experience the ultimate correctional device - a combination of 14 loops with a variety of marmalising special effects, get corrected from 23rd May 2013!

Looking around the smilers web-page and can't see it either. Why do I get the feeling all this will lead to sadly is more people complaining about their damn bogof dated vouchers (although this is why I try to never like a theme parks facebook page)

It appears to have gone now but it was definitely there, here is a print screen.

They must have resolved the issues quickly.

So we have no idea right now. I don't think you place something like that without thinking it isn't needed. But to remove it afterwards is kinda odd.

It's back, i think it was just taken down before because the link didn't lead anywhere. It does now tho.

http://www.altontowers.com/the-smiler-faqs/

Due to unforeseen teething problems, The Smiler will not be open on 23rd May.

FAQs

I have already booked tickets for 23rd May what should I do?

The Alton Towers Resort has over 50 amazing rides and attractions which are open for our visitors to enjoy. Guests who have booked tickets for 23rd May to specifically ride The Smiler can have them revalidated for another visit during the season. There is no need to contact us, simply turn up and your ticket will be accepted at the gate.

I am planning to visit this weekend, will The Smiler be open?

The Alton Towers Resort has over 50 amazing rides and attractions which are open for our visitors to enjoy If you are visiting this weekend specifically to ride The Smiler, keep an eye on this page and we will update it with the latest information on a regular basis.

I have booked a hotel stay for next week, what should I do?

Whilst the Resort does have over 50 rides and attractions, if you are visiting to ride The Smiler, we will be happy to change the date of your stay, free of charge. Please call us on 0871 2221100 and one of our team will arrange this for you.

unfortunately it looks like ride will not be open tomorrow as planned

500 comments already on facebook full of people complaining how last minute it was.... and how it's to make sure its safe instead of a potential death-machine knew I shouldn't have looked.

500 comments already on facebook full of people complaining how last minute it was.... and how it's to make sure its safe instead of a potential death-machine knew I shouldn't have looked.

Well, just look at the message Alton posted. It says "Unforseen Testing Problems"... Of course that's gonna freak the GP out. It's probably a marketing thing by Alton to increase the suspense while they fix up a problem with the effects or something (guessing it's the effects, as during the onride POVs they weren't on).

Well, just look at the message Alton posted. It says "Unforseen Testing Problems"... Of course that's gonna freak the GP out. It's probably a marketing thing by Alton to increase the suspense while they fix up a problem with the effects or something (guessing it's the effects, as during the onride POVs they weren't on).

Actually it says due to unforeseen teething problems, which I think is greatly ironic for a ride named the smiler. Although that may have been the point by alton towers who knows with their PR.

Found this on Towerstimes forum:

News from the park!

Our contacts on park have informed us of the reason for the delay. It turns out that the ride has indeed been signed off by Gerst, and there are no technical issues that we have been made aware of at this time.

The reason for the delay, is that Towers are now still waiting on the health and safety executives, to sign off on the fire exits, evacuation procedures, and all manner of other H&S paperwork/risk assessments.

Some workers were still under the impression that it should still open on time tomorrow. This suggests that Towers are playing it safe and stating that it won't open, in the event that there are unforeseen circumstances. This is not to suggest that it definitely will open, but I would suggest that if you were planning on going, you may want to go anyway on the off chance. The worst that can happen is that you will have a good day on the other '50+ rides & attractions', seeing as it's supposed to relatively dry tomorrow too

I shared this so we might have a idea whats going on over there. I must say I suspected something more with the ride it self but this sound more like a relief. Who knows perhaps this weekend its running.

I just think it's really nice of them to move your ticket and hotel stay to another date, free of charge. That's not something a lot of places do, because an on-time opening is never 100% guaranteed and parks can't really be responsible for everyone who didn't think to plan accordingly.

Hopefully it'll still open tomorrow, or at least by the weekend, if the issues really are just with inspections of the building.

The same person who was responsible for my last comment here says he has a second contact to confirm the story. He claims the ride will not open tomorrow but can't be sure about Friday. I guess if they could open tomorrow we would have seen something on the site by now, but no news yet.

I must say I believe that this story is the most believable. Alton Towers surely can't wait any longer as this ride start costing more and more money like this.