TPR Home | Parks | Twitter | Facebook | YouTube | Instagram 

Alton Towers Discussion Thread

p. 235: Nemesis Reborn announced for Spring 2024!

OK this is interesting ...

Big rumours coming out that 'facial recognition' technology will be involved. The worlds first aspect. Some insane rumours (and even mentioned in the video above) that facial recognition actually has an impact on the ride. Literally the more you smile, the less friction there is on the wheels and you go faster.

Interesting!

^ I watched the video JayTricky has placed above me. During that video we see some onride footage what has been mirrored. So while I watched the first onride fragment I thought we came up the vertical lift in place of the normal lift. But while I watched the onride fragment we see the two dive loops after after the drop what makes it the first half. My suspicion is later confirmed with the Marmaliser being on the right hand side instead of the left hand where it belongs.

So why did they mirrored the onride footage?

I think they are trying to Marmalise us!!! Are they giving us clues regarding the big reveal or are they trying to confuse us so we cant guess what the secret element is? I guess we not going to find out until the 23rd? I find something very strange too regarding all the editing of the videos? Even on gmtv they kept cutting the live scenes then we see a edited version later in the day??? Confused.com

^ I watched the video JayTricky has placed above me. During that video we see some onride footage what has been mirrored. So while I watched the first onride fragment I thought we came up the vertical lift in place of the normal lift. But while I watched the onride fragment we see the two dive loops after after the drop what makes it the first half. My suspicion is later confirmed with the Marmaliser being on the right hand side instead of the left hand where it belongs.

So why did they mirrored the onride footage?

Big rumours coming out that 'facial recognition' technology will be involved. The worlds first aspect. Some insane rumours (and even mentioned in the video above) that facial recognition actually has an impact on the ride. Literally the more you smile, the less friction there is on the wheels and you go faster.

Interesting!

That's actually the dumbest thing I've ever heard. Do people actually believe the junk they come up with?

I just had a fantastic find here!!! I keep asking alton towers if they will be doing a soft opening as im going on the 21st May. They have never replied to my messages that i have left which i thought was very odd??? Then i just find these terms and conditions to a recent competition. I knew that they would do a soft opening and im looking forward now to next Tuesday!!! Bring it on!!

ALTON TOWERS RESORT WIN A RIDE COMPETITION RULES

Please read these competition rules carefully. By entering the competition, you agree to the competition rules.

1. To enter the competition and win a prize you must be 18 years old or over and a resident of the United Kingdom at the time of entry.

2. The competition is not open to employees (or members of their immediate families) of Alton Towers Resort or Merlin Entertainments Group.

3. Winners will be chosen at random from all entries submitted by May 16th 2013 at 4pm. Entries after this time will not be eligible to win the prize.

4. The Prize: 8 pairs of tickets to visit the Alton Towers Resort to ride The Smiler between 17th May – 23rd May 2013. The date and time of this ride is at the discretion of Alton Towers Resort. Alton Towers Resort reserves the right to change or substitute this prize. If you cannot make the date, you have the option to nominate a friend or take the alternative of a Fastrack ticket when the ride is open/

5. Prize is not exchangeable for cash and cannot be sold on.

6. Ride restrictions apply – You must be at least 1.4m to ride The Smiler

7. One entry per person

People on other forums really are clutching at straws in relation to this so called "secret element". In still thinking there is nothing extra to this ride apart from what we know and a few remaining theming features.

As the straws people are clutching onto are demolished by videos being released people go for more and more rediculous ideas and end up forgetting or ignoring the feasibility or practicality of them, which is what seems to happen here

Surely one of the longest coasters to be built in the UK for a long time with a record breaking number of inversions and a cool and unique theme would be enough for people but obviously not!

I also think that people are taking all the marketing with worlds first and world beating too seriously as in expecting them to be entirely different things.

Come on people! Be grateful for what we have gained!

Anyway, looking forward to riding a week on Thursday. Overall I'm not expecting it to jump to the top of my favourite coaster list but it should be fun and that's the whole point of it!

Interesting!

That's actually the dumbest thing I've ever heard. Do people actually believe the junk they come up with?

I don't believe it is happening I just said I found it interesting. They mention it in the video as if its something they've talked about. I did take it with a pinch of salt.

Is it really beyond the realms of possibility with the technology in this day and age that in the near future we could see a coaster with emotion recognition?

I don't believe it is happening I just said I found it interesting. They mention it in the video as if its something they've talked about. I did take it with a pinch of salt.

Is it really beyond the realms of possibility with the technology in this day and age that in the near future we could see a coaster with emotion recognition?

Facial recognition could totally work for adjusting lighting or a ride's soundtrack, or something similar like that. The problem is that it would probably be really difficult with riders' heads shuffling all around.

Friction isn't something you can simply adjust in the middle of the ride. I'm pretty sure that the coefficient of friction is basically set when they put the wheels on the train.

There's clearly no 'secret element' anywhere on the ride. I'd say I'm disappointed, but I got over that hype a long time ago. This ride looks totally great without anything additional happening inside. I do hope that these 'projection mapping' effects are real, just so that there's some sort of on-ride preshow down before the first lift. At the least, some cool lights and stuff (I'm thinking the end of the Dark Knight coaster preshows where the words pop up all over the walls).

I have always wanted to visit Alton Towers, and admittedly, I have never had the chance, but does anyone know if it's possible to visit the park during a 1-2 day layover in London on the way to Paris? My wife and I are planning a trip to France next year, and would love the opportunity to experience this park.

The ride looks pretty cool, though it looks like it *could* provide some headbanging. I watched a rider cam pov the other day and saw a few jarring moments that looked pretty painful.

I've been messing with the app on my iPhone lately (great way to pass time waiting in line) and messed with the scanner...this is a bit creepy:

image.jpg.76387914c8675f2bf956ce7675a90590.jpg

Normal....

image.jpg.a36de56a6ae8872f8465e91382f39d62.jpg

Yikes!!! I'd love to actually scan the real train in person.

I just watched the video posted earlier of the cars going at different speeds round the track and some hardly making it round some of the inversions. Why was this? Can anyone explain?

Yes its quite simple they probably had the slow wheels on the train and were running it at its slowest speed to test whether it would make it round

Facial recognition could totally work for adjusting lighting or a ride's soundtrack, or something similar like that. The problem is that it would probably be really difficult with riders' heads shuffling all around.

Friction isn't something you can simply adjust in the middle of the ride. I'm pretty sure that the coefficient of friction is basically set when they put the wheels on the train.

Forgetting about the trims and the possible variation in lift hill speeds, are we now?

It's unrealistic and it has nothing to do with "friction", but it could happen.

Looks great! In the POV, listen closely and you can hear the "Ha-ha-ha! Ha-ha-ha!" of the ride's soundtrack at the bottom of the first lift hill. Ignoring the mirroring of the video, the letters on the wall there spell out "HA HA HA", a nice little touch.

And yes, the "Ha-ha-ha!" theme is very catchy!

I'm sure I missed something along the way. But wernt there supposed to be two tracks? And the thing dueled?

No it's one track with two lift hills, but it's thought that the trains will duel with each other on the two halves of the track.

I have always wanted to visit Alton Towers, and admittedly, I have never had the chance, but does anyone know if it's possible to visit the park during a 1-2 day layover in London on the way to Paris? My wife and I are planning a trip to France next year, and would love the opportunity to experience this park.

Well depending on where in London you are stopping the park is roughly 3 hours drive away. If you were going by train you would probably have to get a train from a London station (say Euston) that goes to Crewe but get off at the Stoke-On-Trent stop and then get a bus to the park. The train can take anywhere between 1 hour 20 minutes to 2 hours 30 minutes depending on which train you get on and the time of day.

Whether you can do the park in one day is all down to what time of year you go. Obviously in the summer months the park gets busy as well as events such as Easter/Halloween/Fireworks, ect. What time of year are you looking to go, mate? Also as a last resort if you wanted to visit a Merlin park while you stop off in London but don't want to make the trip to Alton Towers then there is Thorpe Park & Chessington World of Adventures down London way. Thorpe Park & Chessington are about 40 minutes from central London and offer a varying difference in attractions (Chessington more family based & for little children, whereas Thorpe Park is more about all out thrills).

Interesting!

Totally sounds like a GP comment, kinda like the "age limit" on th13teen. However, if it's real, that'd be pretty cool though

Also think it's funny how, as enthusiasts, we are the people who criticize rides/parks for having gimmicks, however, when we don't get a gimmicky element, we're disappointed.