TPR Home | Parks | Twitter | Facebook | YouTube | Instagram 

Alton Towers Discussion Thread

p. 235: Nemesis Reborn announced for Spring 2024!

An article on the website of The Smiler game creators:

The Smiler is the new world first rollercoaster coming to Alton Towers Resort in May 2013. The Smiler is an all controlling force committed to ensuring you smile. Always.

—The Smiler Game—

- Experience the intense thrills, twists and turns of the ride ahead of its opening

- Take control of The Smiler ride cars and the minds of the rollercoaster riders

- Steer a perfect line through the inversions of the ride

- Take advantage of the boost to maximise your scoring potential

- Upgrade the rollercoaster step by step by unlocking loops and psychological effects

—The Smiler Scanner—

Discover a world you didn’t know existed through The Smiler Scanner.

—Wheel of Win—

Win special Alton Towers Resort prizes with a free spin every day.

Source: http://matmi.com/blog/it-is-almost-here-the-smiler-app/

They probably staged a photo shoot with talent on Oblivion and composited those images into this. The amount of effort it would take to render up accurate restraints for the people is probably not worth it for a simple marketing image.

corrected: Sorry was wrong here.

Inversions I spotted in the game sneak peak and pictures, construction pictures and plans:

1. Indoor heart line.

2. Inverted drop 1.

3. 8 shaped inversion (first half)

4. 8 shaped inversion (second half)

5. Bat-wing (first half)

6. Bat-wing (second half)

7. Corkscrew

8. Inverted drop 2.

9. Sea-serpent roll (first half)

10. Sea-serpent roll (second half)

11. Cobra roll (first half)

12. Cobra roll (second half)

13. Barrel roll.

14. Barrel roll.

This ride got my attention. What to expect more? what is the secret Element? Only if it was summer already I'm ready to get corrected.

Here a update with the game:

Edited by RCT3Bross

^Those kinds of pictures always confused me. Why put B&M restraints on a Gerstlauer train on Intamin track?

I guess the GP doesn't know any better, but it always bugged me.

Technically that is Gerstlauer track you see in the photo. Both companies use the Tri-Truss track. Also the B&M floorless trains look the be the closest thing to what was actually planned for the coaster. The trains may not have been completed by the time this came out so the artists and designers did the best they could with what they had.

^Those kinds of pictures always confused me. Why put B&M restraints on a Gerstlauer train on Intamin track?

I guess the GP doesn't know any better, but it always bugged me.

Technically that is Gerstlauer track you see in the photo. Both companies use the Tri-Truss track. Also the B&M floorless trains look the be the closest thing to what was actually planned for the coaster. The trains may not have been completed by the time this came out so the artists and designers did the best they could with what they had.

Yeh it's Gerstlauer track, well an artists impression of it, also with regards to the trains looking like B&M, for most of Alton Towers marketing photos for rides they use the Oblivion test seat to take the photos in, so that is why it looks like a B&M. The real trains, from the looks of the advertising on the park will have lap bars. Although on the game it looks like it has yellow OTSR so who knows.

I have to say i'm really looking forward to giving this ride a go. I wasn't keen on the washing machine idea that was going around and I personally hope what ever is still unknown that it is not it. Whatever mystery does actually remain about the Smiler i'll let everyone discuss and i'll just relax and ride it when it's ready!

It does look like they are actually going all out on this ride in a big way compared the the PR releases and overhyping of Thirteen.

This thing looks insane, can't wait to see all of the details revealed! From the video can we assume that the ride will accommodate trains with 4 rows of 4? I was curious as to the capacity a ride like this could handle but with multiple 16 passenger trains it might not be an issue.

I really hope this thing is a success an that some American parks look into building gigantic Euro-Fighters in the near future. The compact nature of the layout could potentially make something similar to this a great fit for a lot of parks.

^I read back through like 5 pages of posts and didn't notice anything about the official train capacity, so excuse me for only "casually" following the off season progress of a coaster that I will probably never ride because it is on the other side of the world....

^ Yeah I must say I may have formulated that post different. But this was one of many post today that I read today which was already sure sometime ago. So something snapped within me and I had to let it out (unfortunately on you). But after the: it was more general then to you. I must apologize for snapping as it wasn't my real intention. And I must say this is quite the project you need to follow to really know whats going on, I have to say that. Again sorry for my Beauvoir.

^Totally agree. I hate when people write "I'll never get there" or "Too bad it's so far away". Unless you know you're dying next week you have every opportunity and chance to do what you want. And heck, if you're dying you can hit up the Make a Wish people and get there anyways!

I have agree Coaster freak is right. Five years back I was like: "England man Love to go for the roller coaster but hard to get there probably never will. "Today I'm like: "England this year is nothing compared to next year America. Love my hobby." If you have the will to go to England for Alton Towers you eventually will get there and you still have a big chance this ride is there when you come.

If you have the will to go to England for Alton Towers you eventually will get there and you still have a big chance this ride is there when you come.

This has been my way of looking at Alton for a long time, except Nemesis is what will eventually get me there.