TPR Home | Parks | Twitter | Facebook | YouTube | Instagram 

Alton Towers Discussion Thread

p. 235: Nemesis Reborn announced for Spring 2024!

This whole debacle with the "secret element" is just a trap set by Alton Towers to build up hype for the ride, and it seems as though a metric ton of enthusiasts have walked right into it. I've never seen so many photographs of the exact same construction...

No it's not. Alton Towers themselves have not once mentioned any form of secret element for this ride.

It was dreamt up by a TowersTimes member as a way of explaining the possible 14 inversions.

The marketing for this by Alton has been very good and not at all over the top like TH13TEEN. It's the fanboys and enthusiasts on most of the UK forums that are taking the washing machine idea overboard.

A lot of people want this ride to fail. I have a feeling a lot of my fellow countrymen have pissed off people on here in the past!

Yeah I'm starting to think the World first part is something with the lay-out. So no Trick tracks or special trains. Wouldn't mind that if they do something like that and the coverage is just for the barrel roll inside the building. Like I heard once on a IAAPA coverage: "As longs as the rides kicks ass has crazy airtime goes upside down we will be fine with that." (Fits perfect for the Smiler.)

Can the "world's first" for this ride not just be that it's got 12 or 14 or however-many-that's-more-than-10 inversions? Was it ever an official thing that the "world's first" was a particular element and not just an aspect of the ride? If the trains are floorless, it could also be the first floorless launcher (if the first lift is launched like Maverick, or if it's just a flat launch instead).

Does anyone remember when SW4//Oblivion was being built...a lot of secrecy around that one too. People were convinced there was going to be a loop after the drop.

LOL! Yes. I specifically remember people thinking that the train was going to "top spin" in the tunnel! Not joking! Many people were convinced of this for quite some time!

I don't know what it is about the Alton Towers fanboys always wanting to believe there is going to be something so outlandish and crazy being built, and it's going to "blow away the rest of the world", and what they don't even realize, if that they took a step back from always seemingly having to prove something to everyone, maybe they'd realize that Alton Towers, just on it's own merits, is actually probably one of the best parks in the world.

It doesn't need a "world's first" or some stupid gimmicky thing, it's actually a decent place to visit without all that crap.

--Robb

Certainly from where I am stood, the majority of people who I visit the park regularly with, just want a sold, decent coaster to compliment the parks line-up (seen as the last really substantial thrill ride was really quite some time ago).

The idea of yet more gimmicks isn't something that I am particularly keen on.

Hence, Smiler looks like it should fit that bill!

Hoorah!

Does anyone remember when SW4//Oblivion was being built...a lot of secrecy around that one too. People were convinced there was going to be a loop after the drop.

I don't know what it is about the Alton Towers fanboys always wanting to believe there is going to be something so outlandish and crazy being built, and it's going to "blow away the rest of the world", and what they don't even realize, if that they took a step back from always seemingly having to prove something to everyone, maybe they'd realize that Alton Towers, just on it's own merits, is actually probably one of the best parks in the world.

It doesn't need a "world's first" or some stupid gimmicky thing, it's actually a decent place to visit without all that crap.

--Robb

I agree with all of that. It's a shame that people can't just enjoy a ride being built without having to believe and push rumours of 'secret elements' to somehow put it in the limelight... It doesn't need a gimmick.... If its a good enough coaster, people from around the world will enjoy it anyway.

Considering its John Wardeys last design, maybe the secret weapon theme has left with him. He's had a good run and I hope this is a good swan song.

More track going up on Monday, when guests are out the park. It'll be nice to see some photos with more than just the knot element.

When are TPR next visiting AT? I know there's a mini-uk trip scheduled.

--Robb

When Alton Towers builds a ride people expect something to be different - its just the way it is. When we have been treated with:

Nemesis: Special in itself although, no technical worlds first.

Oblivion: Worlds first vertical drop rollercoaster.

Air: Worlds first true flying coaster (from the station & whole ride).

Th13teen: Worlds first track freefall rollercoaster.

SW7: Unknown

You can see why people expect some sort of gimmick or different element to ride built at Alton Towers. If SW didn't stand for anything and they were just called 'new ride' each time then people wouldn't be as expecting. In a way, they still would seeing as what we have - but Rita for example breaks the chain and has proven the words 'Secret Weapon' stands for something as that wasn't one and nothing is really that special about it. With the park having its height problems and other planning problems then you can also see why they have adapted rides the way they have (Nemesis in a pit, Th13teen's element - to make it stand out different as without it, it would just be an ordinary family coaster).

With the words SW people expect good things. Yes people sometimes go beyond what is really going to happen but that is what makes for (sometimes) good reading to see peoples ideas. If we already new everything there was to know about the coaster (plans were 100% correct and showed everything) then there wouldn't even be any speculating. The thing is, we don't know everything - the plans can differ in terms of track and all the track in the station and below the maintenance shed wasn't show on the plans. Some people go way over the top whereas some people have sensible ideas. We won't know for sure until May (or April if soft openings happen).

Can anyone name another Theme Park that keeps, and in the past kept, their new ride a secret until opening? I know I can't.

Personally this is a pretty solid ride and I wouldn't really care if there was a secret element to it. All I really hope for is lap bars and not OTSR.

^ Rita is not a Secret Weapon.

SW3: Nemesis.

SW4: Oblivion.

SW5: Air.

SW6: Th13teen.

SW7: the Smiler.

Rita comes from the time the park wanted to get rid of the Secret Weapons and later decided to bring it back. Rita is also much cheaper then the Secret Weapons.

That said I totally agree with the rest. People get exited by the possibilities of SW7 secret world first feature and go over the top. Still there are people that can't rule out the Washing machine element. Can't wait for next week when the game is supposed to come out giving a detailed look to the lay-out.

^ Rita is not a Secret Weapon.

SW3: Nemesis.

SW4: Oblivion.

SW5: Air.

SW6: Th13teen.

SW7: the Smiler.

Rita comes from the time the park wanted to get rid of the Secret Weapons and later decided to bring it back. Rita is also much cheaper then the Secret Weapons.

That said I totally agree with the rest. People get exited by the possibilities of SW7 secret world first feature and go over the top. Still there are people that can't rule out the Washing machine element. Can't wait for next week when the game is supposed to come out giving a detailed look to the lay-out.

I never said Rita was a Secret Weapon. I said that it wasn't and you can tell as it has nothing special about it.

Looking likely that at least one of the drops off the lift hill will be inverted...

Going back to the recent theory of a inverting drop and with Towers2Go's latest images I thought I would have a quick play with No Limits...

This is the image that was taken by Towers2Go

Heres another angle:

Look on the left of the above photo - it clearly shows an inverting support so I went onto No Limits to recreate it and show an inverted drop. As you can see I've marked the support that looks like the one in Towers2Go latest image:

Food for thought...and here is two more images just showing off the inverted drop:

Edited by Rollercoasters4Life

^^Could be a Stengel Dive.

Not this again...

My opinion still stands. If Alton Towers is letting these websites (with their absolutely massive watermarks) take overview photos of The Smiler and then proceed to tell them, "Hey, you have to block out this section of the photograph and say that we explicitly told you to do so" - they are building up hype and making people speculate and wonder about what lies behind the box.

With the plans and Game combined I come up with already 12 inversions giving the possibility to have 2 more on some places.

I grabbed a top view of the original plan (assuming they just add inversions nothing more) and added all the Inversions on it:

Red: Station, First half inversions less track.

Green: Second half inversion less track, brakes.

Blue: First half inversions.

Yellow: Second half inversions.

Like I said this is based on the original plans in combinations to what we saw in the game snap shots. So very likely this will be true.

If it does has 12 inversions it really does break the upcoming record of 11 inversions on Journey of the Stars roller coaster.

John Wardley talks The Smiler on Bolton FM

20th February 2013

Earlier this morning John Wardley was on the Bolton FM radio station talking about The Smiler and he had the following to say:

“[When talking about Nemesis, Air and Oblivion] Well our new ride is going to beat those.

It’s called The Smiler, it opens in May, and if you think Nemesis is big this is about twice the size of it. Whereas rollercoasters in the past have just played around with your body this ‘marmalises’ you and it plays around with your mind.

There are 5 mind manipulating elements that play around with you on the ride, so it’s more than just a physical rollercoaster.

What we have managed to do is pack more ride per metre of space than any rollercoaster in the world. it takes you up 2 lifts, one is vertical, a 30m drop, all sorts of inversions and on top of that various effects that actually disorientate you so it’s mental experience as well as a physical experience

For more information you can visit the Alton Towers website, which will tell you all the details except for one detail which we are keeping secret until the ride opens. It is a world-first and has never been done before and you are going to need to go to Alton Towers to see just what that is.”

You can listen to the interview with John Wardley on Bolton FM approximately 3/4 through the show.

http://podcast.canstream.co.uk/boltonfm/index.php?id=7284

Source: http://www.towersstreet.com/news/2013/john-wardley-talks-the-smiler-on-bolton-fm/

20th February 2013

For more information you can visit the Alton Towers website, which will tell you all the details except for one detail which we are keeping secret until the ride opens. It is a world-first and has never been done before and you are going to need to go to Alton Towers to see just what that is.”

You can listen to the interview with John Wardley on Bolton FM approximately 3/4 through the show.

Source: http://www.towersstreet.com/news/2013/john-wardley-talks-the-smiler-on-bolton-fm/

Ok Mr. Wardley ....

20th February 2013

Earlier this morning John Wardley was on the Bolton FM radio station talking about The Smiler and he had the following to say:

“[When talking about Nemesis, Air and Oblivion] Well our new ride is going to beat those.

It’s called The Smiler, it opens in May, and if you think Nemesis is big this is about twice the size of it. Whereas rollercoasters in the past have just played around with your body this ‘marmalises’ you and it plays around with your mind.

There are 5 mind manipulating elements that play around with you on the ride, so it’s more than just a physical rollercoaster.

What we have managed to do is pack more ride per metre of space than any rollercoaster in the world. it takes you up 2 lifts, one is vertical, a 30m drop, all sorts of inversions and on top of that various effects that actually disorientate you so it’s mental experience as well as a physical experience

http://podcast.canstream.co.uk/boltonfm/index.php?id=7284

Well one of the details it doesn't give on the website is the inversion count, that probably isn't the only detail left off though.