TPR Home | Parks | Twitter | Facebook | YouTube | Instagram 

Alton Towers Discussion Thread

p. 235: Nemesis Reborn announced for Spring 2024!

That is an awful name for a coaster, especially if you're not given any context behind it.

There's been plenty of context. Most of it based around the Ministry of Joy, used for Scarefest.

Watch this...

http://m.youtube.com/#/watch?feature=youtu.be&v=OUFWBN9xSIQ&desktop_uri=%2Fwatch%3Fv%3DOUFWBN9xSIQ%26feature%3Dyoutu.be&gl=GB

Makes a good storyline in my opinion.

By context, I meant if you've never heard of the coaster before, and you've never heard of the storyline.

Fair point then.

"Why is it called that?" - will no doubt be the number one thing said by the GP this year.

^ Because I'm sure that after all this the park will make no effort to explain the back story on their website, queue line, in the park, etc

Seriously they could just put up a sign that says people come here sad, this makes them happy. It's not that hard to explain the backstory of a ride.

^ Because I'm sure that after all this the park will make no effort to explain the back story on their website, queue line, in the park, etc

Seriously they could just put up a sign that says people come here sad, this makes them happy. It's not that hard to explain the backstory of a ride.

I agree with you totally. My comment was said with much sarcasm...

The original slogan was something along these lines;

Life got you down? Lost your smile?

So you're not far off.

So the ride is based off some crazy asylum type gimmick? Seems unique and interesting to me. In my book Alton Towers deserves a "A"for this marketing campaign and hints toward the ride. Im sure in the end we will know the entire story behind this. Hey, you gotta Smile!

P.s The layout is sweet on this! Wish i could ride this

I like the name! While many of today's coasters want you to feel intimidated by their names, The Smiler gives off an odd feeling to it. It is a creey, somewhat mysterious name that makes people wonder why it's called that.

I doubt the name will make any sense to someone who hasn't read into the backstory, so the name is a bit disappointing. But the insane layout of the ride itself more than makes up for it

Something tells me an indoor queue would summarize the entire backstory, or even add more details to it!

The name sounds like something the Chinese would come up with (after all they did name a coaster Super Speed Cool Cool Bear ) however with the story surrounding the ride it does make sense. Either way The Smiler looks like it will kick ass and could be Gerstlauers best coaster they ever made.

^^Thanks, I was hoping you would chime in.

What are your thoughts on 'advertising' in this manner?

I'm a big proponent of guerilla means for teaser campaigns, especially if it's it involves multiple tactics. However, you better make sure everything you do is legal or there could be repercussions. http://www.medialifemagazine.com:8080/news2001/may01/may07/2_tues/news4tuesday.html

When will they announce the inversions!!! That is what everyone is waiting for. Or atleast what is in the dark section.

Nothing in the dark section will be revealed until opening day. Of which, I will be there, and it will add to my excitement 'not knowing' what's going to happen inside. Apart from the quite obvious barrel roll that has been seen on pictures, TowersTimes have themselves agreed with AT to blurr out any possible secret element.

Once commercials are released, it might tell more, maybe the inversion count. It's interesting to me how they're branding it 'world beating' and 'worlds first' at the same time. World beating, probably will be the inversions - 14 of them. Worlds first, maybe the secret element?

Alton Towers have confirmed that the ride will open in May.

http://press.altontowers.com/news-alton-towers-resort-baffles-the-nation-in-a-baaarmy-hoax-11714

A quote from the press release.

"The Smiler will be our biggest and most thrilling attraction the Resort has ever seen and we can’t wait for guests to join us in May and experience it for themselves.”

They haven't given a specific day in May but it does confirm at least 6 week delay from the original March 16th opening date.

Alton Towers have confirmed that the ride will open in May.

http://press.altontowers.com/news-alton-towers-resort-baffles-the-nation-in-a-baaarmy-hoax-11714

A quote from the press release.

"The Smiler will be our biggest and most thrilling attraction the Resort has ever seen and we can’t wait for guests to join us in May and experience it for themselves.”

They haven't given a specific day in May but it does confirm at least 6 week delay from the original March 16th opening date.

It's a shame, but not that disappointing. This thing happens, especially considering the terrible weather we have had over the last two months. I'd rather it be open, to it's full potential, and 100% complete.

Bring on May.

I like the name a lot, as odd as it sounds. Logo is creepy/trippy and very Cheshire Cat-like. Not to mention, the snow covered pic looks like the logo (with a little imagination of course )

The Cheshire Cat was the first thing that come to my mind, too, when I saw the logo.