TPR Home | Parks | Twitter | Facebook | YouTube | Instagram 

Alton Towers Discussion Thread

p. 235: Nemesis Reborn announced for Spring 2024!

Wow, this looks like a genuinely good effort by Alton Towers to do something viral.

I haven't seen anything on TV though - I assume they're saving that for the very end (and the money for a week of TV ads probably paid for all the stuff above!)

Do we have a name??

From www.towersstreet.com

TowersStreet have just been sent images of a new style of poster advertising Alton Towers’ new rollercoaster for 2013: SW7, put up in London today. If these are genuine, they add weight to previous rumours that the attraction will be called The Smiler. The name, which has been rumoured since the appearance of a trademark back in November, is coherent with the creepy smiling theme that was first used in The Sanctuary during the 2012 Scarefest event.

The fact that these posters have been put up suggests an official reveal of the name within the next few days, either from Alton Towers themselves or in the press. Hype has been built up through the park’s social media in the last few days, sparking speculation about ‘The Inoculator’, as well as showing what could potentially be screenshots from video related to the attraction.

It is possible that ‘The Smiler’ and ‘The Inoculator’ could be names of other thematic elements in the attraction itself, such as the large metallic structure, and that the ride itself will have an entirely different name. Until official word is given from Alton Towers, enthusiasts can merely speculate.

Do you think The Smiler is the name of the resort’s latest Secret Weapon? TowersStreet are your premier source for Alton Towers Resort news and you can follow the final stages of this very exciting project on our dedicated SW7 minisite, Facebook, Twitter or get involved over at our forums where we have some lively SW7 discussion for you to get your teeth into.

There is also an image of the poster:

http://www.towersstreet.com/news/2013/exclusive-sw7-name-revealed/

^ I guess I can't get my head around the fact they are calling what could be one of the UKs best coasters The Smiler... I thought they would come up with something a little more serious/intimidating!

That's the whole idea, though. It is meant to make you 'smile'. You are supposed to go there under the impression it's not a nasty piece of kit, that in fact - you're going to be corrected - a positive process!

It's the kind of name that works in context but, out of context, is hard to understand.

I'd like The Smiler as the name. It's unique. Rememberable. This ride will have a different feel to others. I love the irony in having a coaster with over 10 loops, pretty darn scary to the GP, and calling it The Smiler.

It fits in totally with a theme of trying to keep you calm and relaxed when you're about to have tests performed in you. Think false sense of security.

It all looks pretty intriguing. I am liking all the viral marketing going on in regards to the ride. I really hope it turns out well. The Sanctuary during Scarefest was really well done and had that creepy atmosphere surrounding it so maybe the ride will too.

Anyway, I'll be there on opening day ready for my *appointment* and i'll be taking a ton of photos too!

I actually have a question about this 'viral marketing' stuff...So let's use the Daily Mail sheep article as an example. Does Merlin make a deal with the media? Because, in about 2 minutes of fact checking they would have actually discovered what it was all about but the article presents the smiley sheep as if there's no explanation. Is the author of the article really that dumb, or did Merlin just agree to give them free tickets and stuff to publish the article? Seems a little dubious if you're TRYING to be an actual media source not saying what the truth is?

I actually have a question about this 'viral marketing' stuff...So let's use the Daily Mail sheep article as an example. Does Merlin make a deal with the media? Because, in about 2 minutes of fact checking they would have actually discovered what it was all about but the article presents the smiley sheep as if there's no explanation. Is the author of the article really that dumb, or did Merlin just agree to give them free tickets and stuff to publish the article? Seems a little dubious if you're TRYING to be an actual media source not saying what the truth is?

It's the British media, remember... often spouts drivel.

There have been articles posted in loads of the press over the years that are completely inaccurate, when just a tiny bit of research would have corrected them.

The press are just lazy I think, and feel the need to fill pages!

That's what I was thinking when I read it. Surely the author was in on it? If not, then it's pretty funny how oblivious they are to something like you say, can be found out in 2 minutes of research.

I personally think they've linked up with the media here. Probably the farmers too, obviously to get permission and also to tell them to play dumb.

It actually made it into 'The Sun' too! So many media outlets were either in partnership, or baaaaa-fled (as they put it).

http://www.thesun.co.uk/sol/homepage/news/4749754/Sheep-branded-with-smiley-face.html

With a following story explaining that it was actually Alton that did it.

http://www.huffingtonpost.com/2013/01/18/creepy-sheep-mystery-solved-branded-smiley-faces-britain_n_2507567.html

The Daily Mail is a bit of a silly paper in my opinion! My guess is that it was Alton has made some sort of agreement with The Daily Mail & The Sun (the two papers the article appeared in) as they cater for Alton's main target audience. I mean there are comments which say that Alton Towers are behind it, yet they haven't updated the articles.

^ EDIT: Beat me to it!

Merlin or their advertising agency (media buyer) will work with a media seller in the form of a non-traditional or guerilla marketing/advertising firm. The idea of painted sheep could have originated from Merlin, the ad agency or the non-traditional vendor. The non-traditional vendor then negotiates a small fee to pay the farmer and charges the ad agency a much higher cost pocketing the difference as profit.

Merlin Public Relations sends out a press release about the "occurence" to all media firms and then personally contacts all the writers that might cover the "news" and let them in on the "secret". If the media outlet typically runs advertising for Merlin, their editors can be persuaded to go along with the "story" in a non-serious tone.