TPR Home | Parks | Twitter | Facebook | YouTube | Instagram 

Alton Towers Discussion Thread

p. 235: Nemesis Reborn announced for Spring 2024!

Reminds me of the Coney Island Tickler, but much more sinister.

I honestly don't like the revolving track idea. It seems like an awfully easy way to make people sick (spinning vortex included) just to keep the inversion record.

^^Well, considering this is the park that installed a race-themed coaster in an existing area full of dinosaurs and was brave enough to name it "Rita - Queen of Speed", "The Smiler" doesn't seem that odd after all...

I quite like the spirally eyes and insane-related background to this coaster. Hopefully it will ride as good as it looks in the renderings...

That surely brings a smile on my face, but more in a way of I want to laugh at it. But I admit for the rumors it does sound a bit sinister like the smiley logo. I believe it could be true but wait on the official announcement to believe it.

I'd bet that the trains will essentially be two Eurofighter cars (2 rows of 4 close together but with articulation) coupled together, with traditional shoulder harnesses so that no hardware has to be built in the fronts of the cars.

If I recall correctly (I've never ridden it though), Flashback at Magic Mountain's cars were really close together, yet the trains were still able to do the space dive maneuvers.

• 2 weeks later...

Just to give a bit of background on the (presumed) ride name "The Smiler"...

The Ministry of Joy are an organisation founded by Dr. Kelman in the 1950's. They wish to "marmalise" people, into making them permanently smile and are self proclaimed market leaders in social compliance treatments. However, their projects 50 years ago failed - and were shut down. People were physically scarred, assaulted and more. Their original base was called "The Sanctuary" - which you could visit during Scarefest 2012. Inside, patients and staff were forced to smile - by having their cheeks cut, and metal devices attached to their mouth and jaws.

The new ride is the Ministry of Joy's next attempt at forcing people to smile. They use a process called marmalisation. Hence the presumed name "The Smiler".

It is quite a complex backstory for SW7.

^Quite creepy, to be honest, but I really like it!

About time Alton pulled something decent. Since Nemesis and Hex they haven't really made up a good story that backs up a ride experience.

Hopefully, the queue will somehow introduce this story to the riders through videos or props. Not sure how it fits the X-Sector theme although I am sure they'll figure it out...

• 2 weeks later...

(http://www.towerstimes.co.uk)

First proper update and photo (which was taken by the pilot, members were not able to get in the helicopter) - shows not much construction yet. By this time SAW was testing!

Eurofighter track goes up very quick so hopeful for more in a month or two.

So if I'm right tomorrow we all be able to see these pictures? I was kinda hoping on some sort of Update like this.

I wonder if it will be themed with construction debris like every other ride at the park.

Bit of a claim that when...

Air - No

Oblivion - No

Nemesis - No

Rita - No

Thirteen - No

If you're referring to the small amount of construction debris themeing on th13teen, then no it will not be themed like that.

There is a huge spider like, robotic themed object that will sit in the centre of the ride, with the track going under it 4 times. And with the logo and the link to the Sanctuary scare maze, this will be themed very unique.

Give Piers a break dude, I think he was being a little sarcastic but probably referring to not only thirteen but Hex and of course sub terra which yet again is a flipping bunch of shipping containers left over from Swarm no doubt. It's becoming a bit of a joke with the shipping container hotel opening at Thorpe next year, what next? I wouldn't be surprised if the secret element involves a portacabin, buckets and some duct tape.