TPR Home | Parks | Twitter | Facebook | YouTube | Instagram 

Alton Towers Discussion Thread

p. 235: Nemesis Reborn announced for Spring 2024!

I'm planning on going to Alton Towers on the first Sunday in October.

What are crowds usually like, and will I be able to do all the coasters at least once?

I've been wanting to visit this park for years, so I'm hoping it doesn't let me down.

Thanks

Should be fine. No more than 30 minute queues although that is the time gypsies go to the park but the crowds will be light.

^ Yep the fanboys have been going slightly crazy...

To be fair, Alton have never exactly been the most known of parks to do things like this with the community... so it's pretty cool. Certainly gets people talking and after what has been a pretty dull season so far (nul investment for 2011), it's all good!

Still, I am keen to find out about 2012 as it is - the Lava Lump (old Dymano) site in Forbidden Valley is presently a rumour.

Worth noting that Switzerland is landlocked so not sure what victory a pirate could have there, ha!

If SW7 is going there, and this is either confirms that or is a blatant deflective tactic, then I'm not sure how impressed I'm going to be by it if it has a pirate theme!

Has anyone seen this contest yet? Be a member of Alton Tower's 2013 coaster design crew!

http://www.altontowers.com/all-time-greats/2013/

*Only for UK citizens*

Over 18's only

Course, this isn't RCT3 we're talking about.

This seems like a stupid idea. What good can come of this? It's like a kid at an Ice Cream store. "Now what would you like little boy?" "I want everything!"

EDIT: I mean even though the winner is only part of the design team, they'll just drag the team down.

I think that's a little insulting to the general public and let's be honest here, the coaster will be designed before any member of the public passes opinion. In my eyes, this is more a "you get to see stuff first" sort of thing, rather than having any genuine say.

I was a member of a focus group in 2007 at Alton Towers, where they had 6 theme park enthusiasts on a panel for 4 meetings during the season. It was far from "i want everything". It was mutually beneficial - we loved the experience, and the park got some free input and opinion. Everyone was understanding and didn't merely make demands that could never be met.' For example - the return of In the hall of the mountain king as the parks main theme was largely down to those meetings coupled with the enthusiast community at that time. People weren't sitting down shouting "give me a coaster with a million loops" etc.

People do tend to have an education, and I should think they'll choose carefully based on the applications received.

Let's see what ELSE comes from Switzerland: Rita, Air, Oblivion, Nemeisis, Thirteen....

(Could they BE any more obvious????)

I think that's kind of the point...

Very true, but please Alton Towers, do something interesting with the campaign instead of building up what appears to be a mega-terror machine, and instead it leads up to an excellent family coaster... (Hint to Alton Towers- Look at what HP did... )

I'm planning on going to Alton Towers on the first Sunday in October.

What are crowds usually like, and will I be able to do all the coasters at least once?

I've been wanting to visit this park for years, so I'm hoping it doesn't let me down.

Thanks

Should be fine. No more than 30 minute queues although that is the time gypsies go to the park but the crowds will be light.

Thanks for the info.

If the gypsies are anything like My Big Fat Gypsy Wedding, the day should prove to be quite hilarious.

As this news seems to have been missed here, Alton have this week placed a planning application for a new ride in 2012.

From TowersTimes News:

August 24th 2011 : Towers make planning application for 2012 ride

Staffordshire Moorlands District Council have this week received a planning application from Alton Towers Resort Operations for a new ride, which is presumably designed to be the main new attraction for the 2012 theme park season.

The application, which does not have planning documents attached yet, is for the 'construction of new indoor ride at Alton Towers Resort and associated hard/soft landscaping works'. This would therefore suggest that the park are looking at some form of dark ride for the 2012 season, although the exact nature of this is unknown. There have been rumours in recent weeks of developments in the Forbidden Valley area of the park, but these are currently unsubstantiated.

An indoor ride for 2012 would be the first totally new dark ride experience at Alton Towers since Hex in 2000. Both Duel and Charlie and the Chocolate Factory were re-themes to existing attractions.

• 2 weeks later...

Can't believe this hasn't been mentioned yet!

Alton have submitted building plans, all which point towards a small indoor drop tower.

Plans can be found HERE

I also made a video explaining the plans, which can be found below:

Mod Edit: Video link removed. You must have 50 posts in order to post a link of this kind.

14. Posting Links or "Spamming" - You must have at least 50 posts if you want to create a post which sole purpose is to link to your personal website, update, YouTube video, forum or any other website. If your post count is under 50 posts and your link has not be pre-approved by an admin or moderator, your link will be removed. Please note - links to your website in your signature are acceptable.
Edited by ernierocker