Gröna Lund Discussion Thread

p. 37 - New photos of Monster!

• Replies 989
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

Hey everyone, Don’t say we didn’t squeeze it in. 

The final track piece has been put into place on Monster! Congrats to the Grona Lund team! Can’t wait to ride!   

Great news! 

Posted Images

So glad to see they went with the old school trains/restraints! I'm not a fan of B&M's restrictive vests at all. I tend to float around in my seat a lot more with these traditional OTSRs, even if they're a bit bulkier.

However, I wonder if they only went with the old trains because this coaster was planned before the second generation invert trains were developed. While the layout has changed, you can see concept art for a proposed B&M invert to be added to Grona Lund all the way back in 2008 on the second page of this thread. Just something to consider.

image.png.a373766e3cbc07cf7d2ceb0fadd74a5e.png

image.png.c4231f20f09a079cd9c8bffd36f7322b.png

2 hours ago, DBru said:

However, I wonder if they only went with the old trains because this coaster was planned before the second generation invert trains were developed. While the layout has changed, you can see concept art for a proposed B&M invert to be added to Grona Lund all the way back in 2008 on the second page of this thread. Just something to consider.

Plausible. If this coaster was refined over the course of half a decade or more, it makes sense that they'd stick with the train type they started with as opposed to starting from the drawing board. I wouldn't be surprised if the general layout was "finalized" at about the time that they installed Eclipse - 2013, right in between OzIris and Banshee.

I'd bet that this is the exception, not the rule though. I don't see any reason why B&M would offer the old style on any of their coasters from this point on. They seem to like to keep things standardized.

Remember that the B&M Dive Coaster that went to South Korea in 2018 features the original restraints, opening 2 years after Valravn. Perhaps that one is a case of being planned for several years too. I always just assumed that the park could request which they want and B&M would deliver, but perhaps B&M is trying to phase out the old ones as well.

5 hours ago, thrillseeker4552 said:

Remember that the B&M Dive Coaster that went to South Korea in 2018 features the original restraints, opening 2 years after Valravn. Perhaps that one is a case of being planned for several years too. I always just assumed that the park could request which they want and B&M would deliver, but perhaps B&M is trying to phase out the old ones as well.

If you are referring to this coaster, it's a (near?) clone of Griffon at BGW. So that might have something to do with it.

On the other hand, This Chinese Coaster, which opened the same year, has the old-school OTSRs.

At the end of the day, I'm sure B&M (or any manufacturer for that matter) has options that parks can pick and choose from.  And they will build whatever a park wants and will pay for.  I'm sure if Grona Lund wanted specialized 2 abreast trains to help squeeze the ride into the tight space B&M would've happily obliged for the right price.  

8 hours ago, thrillseeker4552 said:

Apart from the 8-seating trains, it is almost exact but it was a very delayed project as well. The park is also home to Korea's only other B&M so maybe it was easier on maintenance but I'm sure the park and B&M would have had discussions

Sometimes, there can be a pretty big gap between the design phase and the installation / construction phase. Funding dries up, the neighbors get upset, permitting issues happen, a worldwide pandemic... You name it.

The only people who can truly speak as to why they ended up with that style are the people at B&M and Grona Lund themselves. Same deal regarding the delay of Gyeongju World's and Happy Valley's. To my knowledge, if a coaster is designed for a specific train type, that's the one it gets, regardless of how long it is between the time the design is signed off on and the time it finally gets built. Switching out for a new type in the middle of the design phase, or in between those phases, has consequences for the ride's dynamics, its clearance envelopes, its height restriction, and other things. Someone correct me if I'm wrong.

• 2 weeks later...

Great video as always. I'm thinking the zero-g should be a lot of fun considering it's the first inversion and looks to be only about half the height of the lift.

The final track piece has been put into place on Monster! Congrats to the Grona Lund team! Can’t wait to ride! 

2AB73DB0-A158-421E-8A5F-91D2960EFD9E.thumb.jpeg.6377bdad82b4a6e9c0ad4034a9041b7a.jpeg

440B7E8F-8C0C-4839-8588-733F57C9B1E6.thumb.jpeg.34c4bb69921cb46b7524bd2d9c2cbea2.jpeg

CBA681B8-3C6B-4E96-A952-F718B7A9F8B7.thumb.jpeg.a213dda3a832f1477a14b80b228e2729.jpeg

• Like 4

Really looking forward to when a POV is available.  This ride is just so... unique for being a tried and true coaster style.  Hoping some American parks can learn a lesson here.  You're never really "out of space" if you're creative and willing to pay for it.  

• Like 2

Congratulations to Grona Lund for putting in the last piece of Monster track. They've come a long way since digging that big hole, and I'm looking forward to riding this coaster. 

• Like 1

I was doing a little research and realized that this is the first and only B&M Invert to not feature a vertical loop. This has probably been mentioned before but I found it interesting. It’s amazing how they squeezed this ride in!

As far as I see it, Grona Lund has easily "Out-Blackpooled" Blackpool,

in how they've fit all they have there, into such a not-so-big-space-for-such... stuff.  :b

Also, very much looking forward to a POV of this, if / when they release one.

1516967899_ResizeofIMG_5596.JPG.f5c0cf4a77f1a5e712c8394e08530ef9.JPG

In a Grona Lund souvenir shop. (I didn't buy them) TPR 2014 Scandinavia Tour.

This looks utterly fantastic. Hopefully it'll be super whippy with how the next largest element is only half as tall as the first drop!

My nerd is showing (per usual) but that upward transition into the tight helix has me 😍

I’m also diggin the color scheme. I don’t know why every coaster in the states has to be the brightest shade of neon (insert color here). I’ve always loved muted shades of gray/earth tones for coasters. 

• 1 month later...

Lots of footage of Monster testing including two complete circuits at the end of the video for those who are interested in pacing and transitions between the elements.

• Like 2