TPR Home | Parks | Twitter | Facebook | YouTube | Instagram 

Gröna Lund Discussion Thread

3 hours ago, alejon said:

Unfortunately the zoning plan was torn up by the environmental court just a week ago. Stockholm City Council had approved it in April last year but it was appealed. 

Gröna Lund will appeal it to the highest environmental court and seem pretty confident though. 

It's Wildfire all over again.. 

Is there a source available if the zoning plan rejection was made public (for Grona Lund)? Would be useful for my own research, even if it would need translation.

28 minutes ago, A.J. said:

Is there a source available if the zoning plan rejection was made public (for Grona Lund)? Would be useful for my own research, even if it would need translation.

Here is a press release from the court

In short the court found no grounds for rejecting the zoning plan due to noise pollution, faults in the environmental consequence report, beach protection etc. Which all are the usual suspects.

Instead it has been rejected because Djurgården, the island on which Gröna Lund is situated, has a special legal protection as a "National city park". The court states that the new area together with Gröna Lund of today would be to dominating in the cultural historical and park areas around Gröna Lund.

Again, I'm not sure that the higher court will come to the same conclusion as this specific law isn't tested that often, and the area used to be an amusement park before becoming a parking lot.

City of Stockholm has all documents regarding the zoning plan available for download on their homepage

• Thanks 1

Fingers crossed the appeal is successful. Again, I know it's only concept art, but a modern Vekoma would be the most perfect addition to this park's collection. (Besides a traditional hyper...but I'm guessing we'll never be seeing one of those at Grona Lund. lol)

• Like 1

You'd think the city at this point would do anything to support and encourage a wonderful business like Grona Lund, but it's also comforting to see that government bureaucracy is messed up everywhere!

• Like 1

18 hours ago, SharkTums said:

You'd think the city at this point would do anything to support and encourage a wonderful business like Grona Lund, but it's also comforting to see that government bureaucracy is messed up everywhere!

I think if we learned anything from 2020 is that politicians never really or hardly ever do what's in the best interest for their constituents, their cities, etc.

• Like 2

It really looks like a fantastic ride.  Great Bear and Talon had a threeway with Nemesis.

Great Bear - Interaction directly over the public areas.

Talon - Airtime on an invert, fun helices for no reason.

Nemesis - Super twisty and prefers to spin rather than loop.

I am curious. Why did they pick "orange and green" for the two colours of the trains?

Anybody know? Not really that important, but I was still wondering...

By the way, awesome test shots!

Does anyone know what this thingamabob is on top of the lift on Monster? It looks like a small crane/jib. My only thought is that it is to help replace the chain as I guess actual crane access is difficult. This is the most unimportant question in the history of unimportant questions, but it is one of those things that always bugs me when I see it.

Photo cropped from original by FABH.Adventures, of course!

unidentified appendage.png

^ You may have hit the nail on the head.  They can use that for rigging purposes (hanging a chain hoist, etc) but it certainly doesn't seem to serve any purpose aside from just existing.  I can't see any moving parts or anything that would suggest it's anything other than a rigid structure.  Using beam clamps paired with rigging hardware makes the most sense.

• Like 1

• 3 months later...

Hi there!

I'll be going to the park somewhen on the weekend of 18 and 19 (this month). We have to buy tickets in advance but we're just gonna wait a little to see how the weather looks.

Apparently each ticket comes with 2 "fast pass" entrances and it looked (from the park's website, which I can only see in Swedish) that you may have to pre select where you want to use them. Is this true? If so, does anyone have a recommendation on which rides I should use it on? 

Also, if anyone has any other tips concerning the park, that'd be very appreciated :) (like which day would be better. I always assume Saturday is the worst but Sunday will be the last operating day for the month) 

Than you! 

• 2 weeks later...
23 hours ago, FABH said:

Have your ever want to turn an amusement park in to a night club? That is exactly what Gröna Lund did in their new event Night Rider. 

Wasn't it the owners of this park that also rented Magic Kingdom for a night for their employees and did something similar at the castle?

• Like 1

• 9 months later...

Visited Grona for first time last Friday.  

Holy cow, what a fun, surprisingly well-themed little park, with really fun coasters!

I loved it!

Monster had a great themed line, efficient two-train operations, and the ride packed a punch!   Loved it's pacing, the foot choppers, and the final little airtime moment (which I never experienced on an inverted before).  The great gray color and cool supports only added to it.

The sleeper hit for me was Jet Liner.  Wow: super fun Schwarzkopft, with great pacing, smooth as can be, and easy old -school lap bar train.   Extremely re-rideable.

Twister was reallly fun in the back and well-placed.

oVerall, extremely well done, fun, and far exceeded expectations (because I entered into it with virtually none!)

• Like 2

• 11 months later...

Just from the press information:

Gröna Lund will be closed for at lest 7 days or for how long time the investigation needs.

The rest of Park and Resorts amusement parks will at the moment remain open.

/// Marcus

From the pictures looks like the wheel assembly just fell off causing the train to derail.  Crazy part is of the 3 people who got dumped from the train the third one actually managed to grab one of the beams so he didn't fall all the way to the ground.  Kinda amazing.  

Thoughts and prayers to all the victims, witnesses, operators, and their families. 

I do wonder if some of the other Schwarzkopf coasters are going to shut down for a bit for inspections.  Was looking at my home park (over georgia) on the app today and mindbender is showing temporarily closed.  Not sure if related but wouldn't be the worst idea to do an extra inspection even if you think everything is fine. 

• Like 3

As for what Andreas Andersen @ Liseberg said they are not closing down Lisebergbanan at the moment, because Lisebergbanan share some technical elements with Jetline but is constructed one year earlier than Jetline. The biggest difference is that Lisbergbanan got new trains ~5 years ago...

Found this image in a post on twitter:

20230625_172010.thumb.jpg.635c98f804dc24e26adf8cbb99146e66.jpg

Someone could have easily got struck by the wheel assembly :(

/// Marcus

Edited by lond

22 hours ago, Krandor said:

Crazy part is of the 3 people who got dumped from the train the third one actually managed to grab one of the beams so he didn't fall all the way to the ground.  Kinda amazing.  

Korean news was reporting on this and showed the man on the beam:

• Like 1