TPR Home | Parks | Twitter | Facebook | YouTube | Instagram 

Gröna Lund Discussion Thread

8 hours ago, thrillseeker4552 said:

Remember that the B&M Dive Coaster that went to South Korea in 2018 features the original restraints, opening 2 years after Valravn. Perhaps that one is a case of being planned for several years too. I always just assumed that the park could request which they want and B&M would deliver, but perhaps B&M is trying to phase out the old ones as well.

Apart from the 8-seating trains, it is almost exact but it was a very delayed project as well. The park is also home to Korea's only other B&M so maybe it was easier on maintenance but I'm sure the park and B&M would have had discussions

Sometimes, there can be a pretty big gap between the design phase and the installation / construction phase. Funding dries up, the neighbors get upset, permitting issues happen, a worldwide pandemic... You name it.

The only people who can truly speak as to why they ended up with that style are the people at B&M and Grona Lund themselves. Same deal regarding the delay of Gyeongju World's and Happy Valley's. To my knowledge, if a coaster is designed for a specific train type, that's the one it gets, regardless of how long it is between the time the design is signed off on and the time it finally gets built. Switching out for a new type in the middle of the design phase, or in between those phases, has consequences for the ride's dynamics, its clearance envelopes, its height restriction, and other things. Someone correct me if I'm wrong.

• 2 weeks later...

Really looking forward to when a POV is available.  This ride is just so... unique for being a tried and true coaster style.  Hoping some American parks can learn a lesson here.  You're never really "out of space" if you're creative and willing to pay for it.  

• Like 2

As far as I see it, Grona Lund has easily "Out-Blackpooled" Blackpool,

in how they've fit all they have there, into such a not-so-big-space-for-such... stuff.  :b

Also, very much looking forward to a POV of this, if / when they release one.

1516967899_ResizeofIMG_5596.JPG.f5c0cf4a77f1a5e712c8394e08530ef9.JPG

In a Grona Lund souvenir shop. (I didn't buy them) TPR 2014 Scandinavia Tour.

This looks utterly fantastic. Hopefully it'll be super whippy with how the next largest element is only half as tall as the first drop!

My nerd is showing (per usual) but that upward transition into the tight helix has me 😍

• 1 month later...

Lots of footage of Monster testing including two complete circuits at the end of the video for those who are interested in pacing and transitions between the elements.

• Like 2

Amazing video as always, thanks for sharing. How slick do those trains look in black?! Great to see seven car trains too, I did wonder whether they'd be six car. I also really like the profiling on the first drop. The twist looks really snappy and kind at bit of an unnatural angle half way down so I hope that converts into some interesting forces. 

• Like 1

Ride looks great!  

I love the unique support structure.  I know it's a product of the park it's in and meant to save space, but I would love to see these "thick boy" supports used on other future coasters.  I just think they're fun. 

This thing looks like an old school B&M and I hope it rides like one.  They've proven they can go back to basics in the past (Dark Knight at SFNE) and it's looking like they're about to pull it off again.

First POV has been released: 

Looks super fun and like it could be intense! I wonder how nemesis-like the helix feels, given that it's fairly flat and exits downhill?

I'm also SUPER into the downhill final brakes! 🤣 

• Like 1