TPR Home | Parks | Twitter | Facebook | YouTube | Instagram 

Gröna Lund Discussion Thread

^

Wow. It's just amazing how that park fits so many attractions

into that somewhat limited area!

IMhO, I think they "out-blackpool" Blackpool sometimes, lol.

Can't wait to ride the new star flyer in a couple of years!

As I recall from TPR 2009 Scandi Trip, a Star Flyer was planned for the new section they were hoping to build:

Good to see that they can still incorporate at least some of those plans.

There's an article from 2010 stating that the starflyer will be 90 meters tall, i.e. 10 meters taller than "Fritt Fall". So it will pretty much dominate the whole Gröna Lund skyline. Article: www.nyteknik.se/popular_teknik/smatt_gott/article268167.ece

The article also says an architecual contest has taken place with the arichtectual firm Wingårdh as the winner. So I guess the final result will look something like this:

Extreme is getting replaced by a StarFlyer, I thought that was all ready known by now...

Thanks Olov! I remembered the expansion art, like in Chuck's pic with the Tivoli Star Flyer concept art. So glad that they were able to find a home for it in the existing park. Maybe that invert will make its way over as well....on top of something else?

^, ^^^^^Those pics look awesome. Looking forward to seeing the final design. I'm happy that they are keeping the same height and putting some effort into the design. Six Flags sure hasn't done anything exciting other then putting up the basic towers with some paint.

^ Not so sure about the invert. Gröna lund has a lot of residental houses as neighbours so they are quite limited when it comes to noise regulations and the like. And they have already used most of their available land along the boardwalk (where there's no neighbours complaining). So im guessing that it doesn't look too good when it comes to the invert.... :C

The concept art was for a neighbouring car park, the plans were never approved, I do believe they have given up on trying to build on that plot of land. So no inverter anytime soon....

The plans were very much approved, the neighbors to the park got the plans cancelled afterwards.

The concept art was for a neighbouring car park, the plans were never approved, I do believe they have given up on trying to build on that plot of land. So no inverter anytime soon....

The plans were very much approved, the neighbors to the park got the plans cancelled afterwards.

?? If something is approved, how can it then be cancelled afterwards by the neighbours? Surely this is what the planning approval stage is for?

?? If something is approved, how can it then be cancelled afterwards by the neighbours? Surely this is what the planning approval stage is for?

Because they raised hell about it, witch in the end made the politicians retract the approval.

• 1 month later...

It's now official.

Gröna Lund is getting a 121 meter tall (worlds tallest according to themselves) StarFlyer, and it will be called Eclipse.

Image from Gröna Lund Facebook.

Gröna Lund's new ride: THE WORLD'S HIGHEST STARFLYER

On April 27th Gröna Lund, the 130-year-old amusement park in Stockholm, will open their brand new ride -- the world's highest StarFlyer named Eclipse. Located at the waterfront, this 400 foot high StarFlyer will provide a breathtaking ride as you soar high above Stockholm.

What is unique, exciting, new, a great experience, but still suitable for everyone? As Gröna Lund is to celebrate its 130th anniversary they searched high and low for a new

sensational ride. The answer was Eclipse, the first StarFlyer in Sweden, and at 400 feet Eclipse will be the highest StarFlyer in the world.

"We wanted to do something really spectacular for our 130th anniversary, and that's exactly what we've done. Building a sensational ride such as Eclipse to give as a birthday present to all of Gröna Lund's visitors is a dream come true", says Peter Osbeck, ride manager at Gröna Lund.

Eclipse is a truly unique family attraction, with a height requirement of only 47 inches, but with an incredibly high excitement level. The question is not whether guests can handle the ride, but whether they dare to ride it. Eclipse has twelve swings with double seats, which hang from 26 foot long chains. If you ride the attraction at full speed, you reach an impressive 43 miles per hour as you soar high above Stockholm.

"Not everyone will dare to ride it, but those who do will admire a fantastic view across Stockholm, thanks to the waterfront location. Luckily it has double seats, which means that you're not alone up there", says Osbeck.

Facts about Eclipse

Investment: MSEK 50 (USD 7.9 million)

Location at Gröna Lund: Opposite the Main Stage (replaces the ride Extreme)

Total height: 400 feet

Maximum speed: 43 miles/h

Ride time: approx. 2 minutes

Height requirement: 47 inches

Number of swings: 12 swings with two seats on each

Capacity per ride: 24 people

Capacity per hour: 600 people

Weight: 210 ton

Foundation: 700 ton

Number of bolts: 80,000

Manufacturer: Funtime (Austria)

Architecture from former times combined with Steampunk

Eclipse’s design is inspired by architecture from the end of the nineteenth century, and uses

the Eiffel Tower as one of its sources of inspiration, with a color scheme of white and gold.

The theme of the attraction follows the Steampunk style – a mix of nineteenth century

architecture and science fiction with inspiration from Jules Verne and H.G. Wells.

Interview with Gröna Lund CEO, and where the quote above comes from.

Edited by ernierocker