TPR Home | Parks | Twitter | Facebook | YouTube | Instagram 

Universal Hollywood's Halloween Horror Nights (HHN) - 2012

• Replies 370
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I've confirmed that Chris Lunardon (astro runner) wrote and directed The Marksman which is one of the top ten entries for the HHN Hollywood Film Competition. I was really impressed, so check it out and if you like it - vote for it. Congrats on making the top ten and hopefully going one better.

Reading the HHN website, it lists the Terror Tram & King Kong 360 3-D seperately (understandably). However the King Kong description specifically states,

Take the first-ever roundtrip express tram directly to King Kong 360 3-D
So I'm wondering are they going to have the Terror Tram, & then another tram specifically for King Kong? Or am I just completely overthinking it?

Reading the HHN website, it lists the Terror Tram & King Kong 360 3-D seperately (understandably). However the King Kong description specifically states,
So I'm wondering are they going to have the Terror Tram, & then another tram specifically for King Kong? Or am I just completely overthinking it?

I think you are correct. Sounds like there will be 2 tram experiences: The Terror Tram and Kong. Which is great, because I love Kong but hate investing the full 45-60 minutes for the whole tour. Don't get me wrong, it's a great tour. But after 100 times, I gets a little old...

Kong is departing from the JP overflow Queue.

Theme Park review will be covering this evening's Eyegore Awards Red Carpet event as well as the official start of Universal Studio Hollywood's Halloween Horror Nights 2010!

Pictures will be posted in a new thread during the wee hours of tomorrow morning. So expect to wake up to awesome HHN pictures, or keep clicking the refresh button starting at 2am! We know you do it!

I went last night. It was lots of fun. Didn't get a chance to do everything because my friend wasn't feeling well. But I did the NOES, F13, and HOTC mazes and Bill & Ted. A good start to the haunting season.

All the mazes were about even in my opinion, for different reasons. Do we have a special review thread on here? Or just this one?

^ I hope not... I just posted a TR. Does anyone know how big the Jurassic park overflow que is? I have heard rumors that that area will be a new house location next year, which is good seeing as it seemed there was room for another house somewhere.

Where's your TR. Looking forward to seeing it. I got quite a few pics myself.

And I've heard the same thing about the JP queue. Apparently someone asked Murdy about that on Twitter and his response was "I would have used it this year for a house but we're using it for Kong". So at least he's continuing to think about expanding

Do we have a special review thread on here? Or just this one?

If you have a TR you want to post, feel free to create a new topic and do so. But if you just want to go ahead and post qick reviews, do it in here. I'm very interested in reading all of them.

I'm happy to share my photos, but I think I need three more posts to do so.

I'll write up a TR this week

• 9 months later...

^A TPR member was in the top ten last year as well as being involved in the winner, so make sure you vote.

Tyler, I reckon you and a video camera could produce the most horrific film ever "An Alabama Film" perhaps?

I'm even more nerdy about haunts than theme parks... but as of now some of the speculation has been awesome as hell... so I figure I'll post it here... keep in mind I could be 100% wrong, but every thing I post is based on some evidence or clue.

Keep in mind we will likely be getting 6 mazes this year if rumors are true, and photos and videos show jp overflow has some activity beginning so I wrote down stuff for 6. There are several pics of John Murdy down by the overflow talking to people... and planters and the things usually there are now gone. This is very good news because generally people keep to the upper lot and only go down for the one house and terror tram, so they are finally using up all the extra space. Also although there are no real rumors a lot of people are very happy about the lot because in years past that scare zone has lacked... so an extra maze will likely make it better.

The Returning House(?)

House of 1000 Corpses.This is the most confusing of my rumors. They are constructing this thing already and everything in the same place, but on videos on youtube and pictures on the internet if you read "the walls" or the tape, which generally give construction workers help... they have nothing to do with last year. Like one says castle and one said Rocky Road... but last year they said firefly... despite being in the same location as last year. Also one part says Victors Lab... but Murdy already confirmed no frankens no Frankenstein and corpses had no lab part... so its kinda confusing. Another thing many many people are wondering is why is this maze going up so fast when A: It took forever last year and B: It seems like because it was previously built this would go up last as it is the easiest to assemble as they already have all the parts and pieces. There are too many variables and tricks at the moment to confirm or deny its return, but as of now it seems to be returning despite evidence otherwise... I'm honestly at 50/50 on it's return. In fact I kind of don't believe it will return because then our speculation is off... but were all sorta speculating the same thing... and the rest of our ideas make sense... so bear with me and we will see if this changes.

THE NEW HOUSES!!!!!!! These range from most likely to least likely... although they are all pretty likely. Also keep in mind that while we do have maze ideas we don't know location... so one of these could be HOH!

The Thing: There is a new prequel to the thing coming out this year and Murdy said it will span 3 continents(including the US) and 4 of the mazes take place outside of the US. The thing takes place in Antarctica, and it was said by Murdy there would be at least one 2011 film turned into a maze, so it makes sense. Also there was a rumor we were borrowing the thing puppets or animatronics or whatever they are from orlando... so that makes sense. Like I said it's not 100% confirmed, but everyone in HHN updating is saying that this is the thing, and Murdy had some lame puns that didn't make sense at the time, but they do now... such as "One of the mazes will be COOL" or stuff like that... which is a reference to Antarctica.

Evil Dead/ Army of Darkness: Evil Dead takes place in America, but Army of Darkness does not and Murdy has said that this is in the top 5 franchises he wants to work with... his number one being the Excorcist, which he can't get rights to. He was very excited before he was releasing clues so a lot of people think he is really excited to get to do this. The code for this one was Soap Opera, and Bruce Campbell once played a Soap Opera star in Fargo. There has been other clues though and it was really high up on fan surveys and it makes sense with the clues. Once again all but confirmed... Murdy has said nothing to change anyone mind about evil dead/ AOD so I feel very strongly about this one.

The Wolfman: Sketchy sketchy sketchy. All sorts of clues pointing to Wolfman, and it takes place in England... so it works. This is throwing people off though because the movie was not a huge success despite having a supposedly very good maze in Orlando. I have heard rumors however that HHN has props for this as originally there was supposed to be a Wolfman maze at Hollywood and for no apparent reason it was changed out for my bloody valentine at the last second. Also a lot of people have been requesting it because of positive orlando maze reviews and because although it is a bad movie it has a good premise for a maze.

Trick r Treat This is one I REALLY want to be true, although signs are pointing to it. There have been lots of clues that go with it, and it did REALLY well on the fan survey and even at one point had a facebook movement for it. There was also a clue known as GV Black, who was a dentist which makes sense for TrT. I would be pretty surprised if we don't see this one as a lot of fans have been asking for it and Murdy knows that but has always said it was not well known enough, but it scored second on the fan survey after evil dead, so this may FINALLY actually happen.

Scream: Scream is the last rumored house. It came out in2011 and many people think that it would make a great maze. Also in the past Ghostface has been asked for quite a bit. The issue he has with the maze is that he said there are not enough memorable environments for the movie... but that that is not necessarily a deal breaker for this house due to the popular demand of Ghostdace. Also there was a clue which was trivia which was released around when the movie came out... but we shall see.

Theres all 6 rumors. Here's the problem though. Scream, TrT, and Corpses all take place in America... so theres a mystery right now as he said four mazes will take place outside of the US on 3 continents. There is a rumor for something like Frankenstein for HoH because no one is sure if he just denied Frankenstein in "corpses" or if is a no go. All I know is one of these houses does not fit, but if all go in besides corpses we can have frankenstein which will be a 3rd Europe maze and a 4th non US maze... but it's too early to confirm or deny anything.

Last rumor involves Terror Tram. There are some strong rumors that is is getting "rerouted" and as of not people are almost confirming it because parts that they usually begin to block now for TT are still open, and the mexico section is blocked off. This makes sense because a lot of fans have been asking for a new route.

Bill and Ted confirmed... but we all knew that... but it is 100% coming back. No scare zone rumors or icon rumors as of yet but I'll keep everyone posted.

The your un-official HHN rumors guy Ghost

I've seen rumours the Wolfman may have fallen through, didn't think much of the movie, but the Orlando Wolfman maze sounded awesome. Love the event, I'll definitely be there.

It was! It was like a live rendition of the movie but more up close and personal. From running thru the forrest to watching him change in the asylum to the wolf, to having the wolf leap back and forward over you in a valley to having the wolf lunge towards you only to be shot and fly back into the darkness...

• 2 weeks later...

Hey everyone, TGIF!

With the HHN mazes going up already, I keep thinking...is it getting that close to Haunt time?!

Anyway, I was over at Universal the other day for a movie and spied construction in the Terminator overflow queue--rumoured to be for the Rob Zombie maze. It made me curious to see if anyone remembers the early incarnation of this maze when it appeared at USH pre-haunt hiatus. I remember that the maze itself was on the same level as where you would board the tram...and I think it was in a tent.

I remember this because I one of the first times I had been to any haunt EVER was at USH..and the facade and even some of the sets are the same. I don't remember seeing the Museum of the Weird with the Lizzie Borden animatronic though. I remember that as soon as you enter the room, she would move forward and in her hand would be an axe, whacking away.

Does anyone remember the first incarnation of this maze??

^ Can't help you much there... but I can tell you that it was called either The Haunted World of Rob Zombie or Rob Zombies American Nightmare... the latter which featured characters of a short story Rob wrote which became House of 1000 corpses.

2 things... 1 rumor 1 fact

So the MAJOR rumor on the street is that we are getting a Hostel maze. It has already been confirmed that Eli Roth is hosting the film competition and that he has always wanted to do HHN and last year John Murdy said he would like to work with Roth at some point. We got clues this year which were 3 Dog Night and Broken Neck. 3 Dog Night does a song called Eli's Coming, there is also a neck breaking scene in Hostel, or so I'm told as I haven't seen the movie in years... but Eli Roth has brought up Hostel recently on twitter and things like that... it seems VERY likely.

There is also a rumor no scream as Uni couldn't get the rights for a maze supposedly... but we'll see.

The good news/fact

According to twitter Murdy has said that July will be HHN month pretty much and that PRs will start to come out sometime this month. This year should be awesome as it's taken him this long whereas last year we had basic info like Clownz... so it seems like he's trying to be as secretive as possible... horror fans BE EXCITED!

The your HHN Hollywood rumor/newsguy Ghost

The original Rob Zombie maze was "The Thrilling Chilling World of Rob Zombie" in 1999 and was based on songs from Hellybilly Deluxe. I vaguely remember there being "living dead girls", a "Channel X" room, and "spookshow baby" hot chicks. The following year he did a house of 1000 corpses maze, but Universal ended up not releasing the movie (which pissed him off quite a bit).

Fun fact: Rob would come to his mazes almost every night and scare guests. He was very hands on with those two mazes.

First maze: The Thing - in Hollywood and Orlando

http://www.variety.com/article/VR1118040099

'The Thing' coming to Universal

Upcoming thriller adapted for theme park

By Marc Graser

"The Thing" is creeping its way into Universal's theme parks in time for Halloween.

The upcoming thriller will be adapted as a maze for the company's Halloween Horror Nights event at both the Hollywood and Orlando parks.

Although both parks feature Horror Nights, they typically don't share the same mazes. But "The Thing" is one of Universal's higher-profile releases this fall, and the studio has been increasingly eyeing the Horror Nights franchise as a way to promote its thrillers that bow around Halloween, considering the crowds it draws each year.

Halloween Horror Nights begins Sept. 23 and continues on select nights through Oct. 31.

"The Thing" bows Oct. 14.

U had been considering a maze or promo for its update on "The Wolfman," but opted not to when the film's release date shifted from fall 2009 to February 2010.

"The Thing" is a reboot of Roger Corman's 1982 original, in which a group of researchers in an abandoned scientific research facility in Antarctica find themselves infected by an alien creature that can transform itself into an exact replica of any living being.

Theme park designers partnered with the film's producers, Strike Entertainment's Marc Abraham and Eric Newman to replicate the sets, audio, musical score, creature and characters referenced in the new pic.

"We want people to live the film and experience the same terror that affects the film's characters," Newman said. "Our collaboration with Universal's creative teams brought the vision of the film to life. We're excited for Halloween Horror Nights guests to experience 'The Thing' in this frighteningly real way."

The Thing: Assimilation will be in the Wild Wild Wild West Arena.

The maze WILL be cold and they will be using all of the HVAC units for it.

The facade will be the snowy front of the outpost

(all from Murdy's Twitter)

A bit more stuff. Sounds cool!