TPR Home | Parks | Twitter | Facebook | YouTube | Instagram 

Hersheypark vs. KD vs. BGW

Which Park?  

40 members have voted

1. 1. Which Park?

• Hersheypark
    • King's Dominion
    • Busch Gardens Williamsburg

Hi TPR'ers. I'm new to the site, but this seemed like the place to post my question.

I'll be on my way to D.C. here at the end of the month, and really want to stop at either Hersheypark, King's Dominion, or Busch Gardens Williamsburg. I can only go to one, which would you recommend? I guess I generally prefer quality over quantity, but not if that means the wait will be insanely long (1hr +). I've never been to any of them, except Hersheypark as a young child, so I can't remember any of it. I want to try Hersheypark for Fahrenheit, Storm Runner, and Lightning Racer because I'm desperate for a good woodie (I'm stuck in Sandusky with Mean Streak). I want to visit Busch because I've heard nothing but good things about them, and their rides all seem top-notch. And of Course, KD has I305 new this year, so I want to see how that compares to Millennium Force.

Which park do you think has the best rides and the overall best experience? Thanks!

• Replies 14
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Busch Gardens, hands down. Its a gorgeous park, fabulous rides and shows, and extremely friendly staff. KD is ok, but if you prefer quality - Busch Gardens all the way.

Two things I would think about.

"If the quest for credits factors in" -Hersheypark

"If not"-Busch

However, both of those parks are slated for big new rides in the next two years, with markers appearing at Hershey(as well as rumors of a big addition) and something in Big Bad Wolf's spot (possible Busch/Intamin ride package). KD just added Dominator and Intimidator 305, they're more likely set for the time being. If you're going to have more opportunities in the future, maybe KD is a good choice.

I don't know, Hersheypark is an all around better ride park than BG IMO. BG is so spread out and although it is a really "nice" park, I find that HP has the better assortment of coasters/rides. It has an overall more"amusement parky" feel to it and at the end of the day it seems to be a really satisfying experience.......

Kings Dominion is a good park, but will be packed depending on the day of the week you go, weather, etc. BGW is by far the best amusement experience I've had, I booked a tour (check out my TR for info on all 3 parks you are thinking about) http://www.themeparkreview.com/forum/viewtopic.php?f=2&t=55255&start=0 which also gave me front of the line access to the coasters afterwards. If you are worried about waiting in line for coasters, BGW offers quick que passes for an additional charge, basically the way their QQ works is they rope off a row on the train (no not the front row, usually the second row from the front or back with the exception of Griffon) and you go to a special line and walk on. It's a very well maintained park and the staff are great. Hershey on the other hand is also a nice park, more rides the BGW and has the make your own candy bar factory for an additional fee. The water park included in the admission is another nice feature. The park is also well kept, but as i think was mentioned above, has more of an amusement park feel. Overall you will walk about the same in either park to see and do everything. BGW also has some excellent food choices, pricing is equiv to restaurant pricing. It sounds like you are wanting to try out a few rides at Hershey, so might as well go for it if you really want it, you won't be disappointed. You won't be disappointed with BGW either, just keep in mind KD will probably be the busiest of all of them.

oh, and welcome to the site

HP is my favorite of the parks mentioned. BG is beautiful and the rides are great, but I always run out of things to do fairly fast due to the relatively small amount of rides. I'd go with HP personally.

Definitely NOT KD. KD can't compare at all to BG or HP in terms of overall quality.

Busch Gardens is a beautiful park with great theming, and more unique rides. (tallest inverted coaster, Floorless Dive, DarKastle)

Hersheypark is a classic park with a very nice feel to it--and lots of candy. Plus it has more roller coasters.

I agree, you can't go wrong with either of those two.

If you want your fix of good coasters, then go to Hershey or Kings Dominion. I, myself, prefer Hershey over KD as I'm a local and go every year. Was just there two weeks ago and had a blast as usual. The waterpark may be a little cramped but it's still nice. I'd prefer KD's waterpark over Hershey's though. Storm Runner, Fahrenheit and Great Bear are must rides and they also have three great woodies. I'd prefer Lightning Racer any day over Rebel Yell but again Rebel Yell is a classic while LR is more modern.

Both Hershey and BGW have great atmospheres but Hershey is indeed alot better when it comes to coasters. Both have a great array of flat and family rides as well.

I would go to Busch Gardens, because of it's closeness to DC and it's overall quality. Hershey is a close second though. I go to Hershey every year and it does have a nice collection of rides.

Actually KD and HP are closer to DC than BG.......

I would go to Busch Gardens, because of it's closeness to DC and it's overall quality. Hershey is a close second though. I go to Hershey every year and it does have a nice collection of rides.

Actually KD and HP are closer to DC than BG.......

Good catch, I think from driving down I-95 as much as I have DC feels a lot closer to Richmond then it is which makes the jump to I-64 seem closer. P.S. HP is only like 30 miles closer than BG to DC.