TPR Home | Parks | Twitter | Facebook | YouTube | Instagram 

Figure 8 Loop

Ya know that crazy figure 8 loop on RCT3 Hyper coaster? The one you look at and think, man the game designers must have been really stupid. Well they weren't. Someone tried to make it happen:

The story of the figure-8-loop coaster is a bit strange. It was not designed by Schwarzkopf. This mistake appears often in books or on websites. This causes maybe in the fact, that the model looked really like a Schwarzkopf coaster!!! The concept was designed by a german showmen, Mister Pötzsch - he owns the patents for the two figure-8 elements, the standing eight and the laydown eight. It was calculated by Werner Stengel but wasn't built due to the high forces. A model of the ride has been displayed at some trade fairs at the Zierer booth. Zierer has no own track fabrication for tubular rails, so I think that maybe BHS was planned to produce it. But Anton Schwarzkopf worked some time for BHS as a consultant

http://schwarzkopf.coaster.net/faqHF.htm

There was once a picture of it on a site called Coaster Globe. The link is now broken and the site is now simply a blog..which hasn't posted in a year. So after everyone in the chat room looked all over for the photo of it we came up...with nothing. If you have any more info about this and of course pictures of the model please post it here! The model has been to IAAPA, there must be photos of it somewhere. If you have anything please post it.

Thanks.

• Replies 30
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

There were photos of the Figure 8 Loop in the Anton Schwarzkopf issue of First Drop, I will try and find my copy (it was a few years ago now, so might take some digging!) and scan in the photos, it certainly looked mental though!!!

EDIT* After some digging....I have nothing better to do on my day off!!! I present to you, the most insane inversion ever.....

fig8loop.jpg.60aebebacec18e17ed53e7de1c7f7ebb.jpg

Matt-I went to IAAPA last year as an Ambassador and will be going again this November, again as an Ambassador. The ambassador program is a program for college kids to get a hands on experience with the industry...and meet people! My avatar is of the hyper train in front of the B&M booth as well.

Pretty sure that was sarcasm...

I think in a way this could be done. The bottom loop has already been made on HRRR, so all thats left is to add the second loop. To keep it from being too forceful the first half loop could be powered with tires like this-

and the second half of the loop could have trims on it. It wouldn't be as thrilling but it would be less forceful and the GP would eat it up.