TPR Home | Parks | Twitter | Facebook | YouTube | Instagram 

Mountain/Alpine Coaster or Alpine Slide Discussion Thread

• Replies 237
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

^I rode it in 2005 and its one of the scariest rides Ive ever been on. Actually the youtube video a few posts earlier was taken by another ECC member on the same trip.

Check out this post from my trip report to see a few pictures of the ride http://www.themeparkreview.com/forum/viewtopic.php?p=145391#p145391

I didn't get many shots of the ride, but there is one picture towards the end which shows what the cars look like.

I just want to note that both places that I've been with alpine coasters have not only allowed me to take pictures/ video, but have encouraged it. I think it's because if you drop the camera you don't risk hitting someone else in the head. Also, if you go to ride an alpine coaster I'd suggest riding at least twice. They're usually about $10 a ride, but you really need to ride at least twice to enjoy it, because the first time you will most likely use the trim brakes quite a bit. The WISP resort actually doesn't like people using the trim brakes, because there is a higher risk of a crash/ bump occurring. Little kids and parents with little kids tend to trim quite a bit and that can be a hazard for someone that is cruising down the mountain with little trimming.

Are there any unknown alpine coasters in the US or Canada besides:

1) WISP in Maryland

2) Park City in Utah

3) Glenwood Caverns in Colorado

4) Jiminy Peak Mountain Resort in Massachusetts

I know there are alpine slides all over the place, but I'm more interested in alpine coasters.

Well, I just found one of what I was thinking of. I don't know if it's the same thing you were thinking of or not, but here's the video:

It's located in Mieders, Austria. I wish I could find the other one again though because the entire place it is at is pretty cool.

yes! Im pretty sure that was it acctually, or if not, thats definatly very similar to the one im thinking of

my memory of its pretty vauge but that ticks all the boxes. It looks so good, shame theres nothing like it over in endland though!

Will definatly have to try visit austria sometime.

And yeah my appologies for saying it was an alpine slide, i didnt have a clue what else you would call it?

Cheers for the help in finding that, its been doing my head in for ages

• 3 months later...
When you say Alpine Coaster, does this actually run on a track, or is this what we call an Alpine Slide here, where you sit in a trough down a mountain?

Did you look at the video in first post? Even if you don't watch it and only look at the image you would have your answer.

For the record a new Mountain Coaster is being built at Attitash Mountain in New Hampshire, they already have a Alpine Slide. These are fast becoming a way for ski resorts to make a little bit of revenue in the off-season.

Could you please tell me the differences between Alpine Coasters, Alpine Slides, Toboggans, Luges with troughs, and Bobcarts? I know some terminology is mixed and I want someone who has experienced all of them to give me their best comparison. Some of these (especially in Europe) give different names to these types of rides which makes me quite confused.

Could you please tell me the differences between Alpine Coasters, Alpine Slides, Toboggans, Luges with troughs, and Bobcarts? I know some terminology is mixed and I want someone who has experienced all of them to give me their best comparison. Some of these (especially in Europe) give different names to these types of rides which makes me quite confused.

Check out the manufacturers website, it has what all those things are...

http://www.wiegandslide.com/products.html

Alpine Slides, Toboggans, Luges are all terms for the same thing though.

Larry-The one at Vail operates during the ski year, as does the one at Park City Resort. From my experience with the one at Park City, the Resort has to print money as the skiiers come off the mountain at the end of the day and hop on (at twenty bucks a head) to get one last thrill. And on top of that, the lines are always long.

I made a thread awhile back, but one of these alpine coasters is proposed for Breckenridge Ski Resort. It will be interesting to see if it gets built.

The one at WISP (Maryland) also operates in the winter.

As far as the defintions go I generally call them "Mountain Coasters" if they run on rail since "Alpine Coaster" can and does get cause confusion with the term Alpine Slide.

Here is a video that I took a couple years ago of the Alpine Slide Mountain Coaster at Crystal Mountain in Thompsonville, MI.

It's nothing too big or crazy, but it's pretty fun. If you haul ass while on the right side track, there is a good spot of airtime.

There are also some Zipline courses up at Boyne Highlands and Boyne Mountain that I hope to get to later this summer.

[coastertube]http://www.themeparkreview.com/coastertube/play.php?vid=Crystal_Mountain_Alpine_Slide_Mountain_Coaster_w2sb[/coastertube]

^That's part of the confusion and it's quite understandable.

An owner/operator can name his ride whatever he wants, but that one is an Alpine Slide and not a "Coaster."

Mountain/Alpine Coaster = runs on rails

Alpine Slide = Sled on wheels in a trough (also sometimes called a tobaggon or luge)

BobKart = Similar to an Alpine Slide (sled on wheels in a trough), but strudier cars with high chair backs and a mechanism for the ride operator to limit the top speed

I have ridden 3 so far. My first was the one at Wisp resort in McHenry, PA.

My second was Tobotronc at Naturlandia in Sant Julia de Loria, Andorra (a tiny country between Spain and France). It is the worlds longest Alpine coaster. The park lists ride statistics that I feel must be based on an average rider using the hand brake. The lift is approximately 13 minutes. The downhill portion of the ride is 3,550 meters. The decent with no brakes was about 5 minutes and 10 seconds. 3,550 meters in 5:10 is an average speed of 41.2 km/h. So it wouldn't surprise me if we hit 45 or 50 km/h in some spots.

My 3rd was the one at in Park City, UT. Tobotronc was by far my favorite. So far I have been allowed to take a camera on the ones I've ridden. But, these can be aggressive rides. Especially if you have your foot wedged on the brake to get as fast of a run as possible.

Here is a link to my videos: http://www.youtube.com/view_play_list?p=F562315E124DAEC7

^^ I know, Larry. I only Titled it that cause that is what the park has it named. They actually call it "Crystal Coaster" and they had signs calling it "Alpine Slide Mountain Coaster" when I was there.

I see on their website that the name if it is still "Crystal Coaster", but they now state that it is an Alpine Slide instead of a Mountain Coaster.

I've never ridden an alpine coaster, but they sound intriguing. It's nice that they're becoming increasingly popular.

I have ridden a half-mile alpine slide at the Mt. Hood Adventure Park which is open every summer. I must have enjoyed it because I rode it many times. It's easy to see that alpine slides are not credits (not sure if a few people were wondering) but I won't judge the alpine coasters until I've ridden one.

I have ridden 3 so far. My first was the one at Wisp resort in McHenry, PA.

Here is a link to my videos: http://www.youtube.com/view_play_list?p=F562315E124DAEC7

I have skied this mountain many a time but have yet to get up there and check out the Alpine Coaster. To anyone who has, is it worth it. I know I should just go, it is only 30 minutes from my house! Also, it is open year round!!! We get some pretty harsh winters up this way, especially up at the lake.....