TPR Home | Parks | Twitter | Facebook | YouTube | Instagram 

Mountain/Alpine Coaster or Alpine Slide Discussion Thread

I rode the three Gatlinburg/Pigeon Forge alpine coasters last Thursday.

They are roughly the same price at either $15/$16. I would rank them as follows:

1) Smoky Mountain Alpine Coaster

2) Gatlinburg Alpine Coaster

3) Goats On A Roof

Gatlinburg was the fastest with no trims, but it was at least half the length of the other two. Otherwise, it would of been my favorite. If you have to choose only two, skip Goats on a Roof.

• 4 weeks later...
  • Replies 237
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• 1 month later...
I rode the three Gatlinburg/Pigeon Forge alpine coasters last Thursday.

They are roughly the same price at either $15/$16. I would rank them as follows:

1) Smoky Mountain Alpine Coaster

2) Gatlinburg Alpine Coaster

3) Goats On A Roof

Gatlinburg was the fastest with no trims, but it was at least half the length of the other two. Otherwise, it would of been my favorite. If you have to choose only two, skip Goats on a Roof.

Thanks for this. I'm heading to Gatlinburg and Pigeon Forge this weekend. I'm going to try the first two and skip Goats on the Roof.

I just now found out about the alpine coasters in the Pigeon Forge area. I was already gonna be there for Dollywood and the National Park. This is something that excites me easily as much as any other ride I will be going on. I imagine the very personal ride experience is very fun, and of course the integration into the terrain is a huge selling point.

I will probably be riding after my hiking experiences are done, but can anyone vouch for whether or not the rides are better in the day, or night? I imagine they both have selling points. Budget will probably limit me to one ride at a single one only.

Do they run their alpine coasters in the dark? The track would have to be lit. If so, go at night. Did ours during the Winter and the illusion that you are going even faster is great.

Open till 11 and reviewers said they rode at night.

I just now found out about the alpine coasters in the Pigeon Forge area. I was already gonna be there for Dollywood and the National Park. This is something that excites me easily as much as any other ride I will be going on. I imagine the very personal ride experience is very fun, and of course the integration into the terrain is a huge selling point.

I will probably be riding after my hiking experiences are done, but can anyone vouch for whether or not the rides are better in the day, or night? I imagine they both have selling points. Budget will probably limit me to one ride at a single one only.

^If you could only do one of them, I would recommend the Smoky Mountain Alpine Coaster. The Gatlinburg one is faster but just too short for me.

• 1 month later...

I just came back from Andorra (tiny country between Spain and France) and I rode Tobotronc, Naturlandia's Alpine Coaster and also the world's longest of its kind with 17,433 feet of track. I had never been on one of those and it was so much fun. Some of the transitions were a bit funky but I loved how intense some bits were, pushing strong laterals at some turns.

We were lucky because there were some showers throughout the day and we were some of the lucky riders that could get on Tobotronc that day. Plus, since it had been raining on and off the tracks were a bit wet making for a smooth and really fast ride.

For anybody wondering what it looks like, here's a POV (unfortunately, it seems that TPR has not been there yet!):

I rode the Smoky Mountain Alpine Coaster and the alpine slide at Ober Gatlinburg. Both were insanely fun, but the Smoky Mountain Alpine Coaster was much better. In addition to the adrenaline rush the ride gives, it is in a beautiful wooded mountain setting. Careening down the mountain side after a long scenic climb was super fun!

• 7 months later...

Last friday I went on a 3km (2mi) long alpine coaster located in Churwalden, Switzerland. It was a beautiful day and I even got some Airtime on it!

Here I have a POV for you:

[youtu_be]

[/youtu_be]

And two photos:

image.thumb.jpeg.931987c9770654333b3cbfedb064a82b.jpeg

View from the top

image.thumb.jpeg.9a655ef5c2308f5ce666410337d89a54.jpeg

And from the bottom

I've only been on a couple of Alpine Coasters, but I really like the one at Park City, Utah. I find that they are a lot more fun in the snow than in the summer. Makes it feel little like you're bobsledding. Snow or summer, some to the ski resorts offer some fantastic views from the coaster. Makes it difficult to enjoy the scenery going at full tilt!

As for slides, my favorite is still the ones at Mount Hood Skibowl. It's rather simple layout, but you get an awesome view of Mount Hood in front of you as barrel down the track!

Whether you consider them true coasters or not, US (and Canadian) mountain resorts continue to install mountain coasters to boost their summer offerings. With 3 more being built in the US, there will be 25 by the end of the year in the US (plus a few more in Canada).

Complete North American list can be found on Page 11 of this thread

Edited by larrygator

• 2 months later...

I rode my first alpine coaster earlier this week, it was the Gatlinburg Mountain Coaster. It was a fun ride through the woods with semi-decent intensity, and it was also neat being able to control the speed. Glad I got to experience it, and I'd definitely like to ride more of these in the future.

image.thumb.jpeg.528ca7024530115abd48620d46006b36.jpeg

image.thumb.jpeg.4fe73473ee15c16dbd5717bc5c69fdd4.jpeg

• 3 weeks later...
Has anyone been on all (4) of the alpine coasters in the Gatlinburg/ Pigeon Forge area? If so- how do you rank them? TY!

1. Smoky Mountain

2. Goat Coaster

3. Gatlinburg

4. Snow Mountain

Thanks for this info! When I go down there later this year, I am hoping to at least do a couple, so it's nice to know which are the best!

Whether you consider them true coasters or not, US (and Canadian) mountain resorts continue to install mountain coasters to boost their summer offerings. With 3 more being built in the US, there will be 25 by the end of the year in the US (plus a few more in Canada).

Where's the new ones being built in Canada?

Looks like Ridge Rider Mountain Coaster at Heavenly Resort in Lake Tahoe has opened! California has it's first Alpine Coaster

Looking on a map, it seems the coaster passes across state lines between California and Nevada too!

Here's the link to the website. You must take a gondola up to where the ride sits, and it seems like a whole "Adventure" package that costs $90 to get up there and ride the coaster... Kinda steep, but the coaster does look very cool!

Where's the new ones being built in Canada?

I do not know of any new ones being built in Canada at this time, I was saying that in addition to those in the US, there are others in Canada.

Edited by larrygator

If you are ever in western Colorado check out Glenwood Caverns Adventure Park in Glenwood Springs, Colorado 40 mins north of Aspen right on I-70. Bear in mind the park is on top of Iron Mountain so you must pay to ride a gondola to the top then each attraction including the alpine coaster is extra, but it's totally fun. This video shows actual speed. It's actually more fun than it looks, and is open in winter!

[youtu_be]https://youtu.be/4oiHiO-2yU8[/youtu_be]

Oh and they also have a couple roller coasters.

This one holds the official records for being the highest roller coasters in the world as it's on top of a 7,160 foot mountain.

[youtu_be]

[/youtu_be]

I tried really hard to find a non-Coaster Farce video but this was the best one since there are no TPR videos. Sorry.

[youtu_be]

[/youtu_be]

• 2 weeks later...

Today I rode the Thunderbolt Mountain Coaster at Greek Peak Mountain Resort in Cortland, NY. I took 3 rides on it, and I didn't activate the brakes at any time. The only other one I've been on was the one at Camelback in the Poconos, which I still like better. While that one was just pure insanity and intense aggressiveness, Thunderbolt was smoother and it has a more spread out layout. The scenery on this one was stunning, and you're really isolated in the middle of the woods, and it is absolutely beautiful and it really makes the ride. Like any alpine coaster, the lift hill is extremely long, but at least this one was a bit fast. And of course the lateral forces were absolutely amazing, and there's a lot of sections that really let you feel the speed. Like I said before, the layout is very spread out, and actually there is not one single helix! But it really doesn't need any. So this was a very long and fun ride, and I'd definitely recommend it if you're in the area. I do count these as real roller coasters, and I'm proudly adding it to my coaster count. I give it a very strong 8/10, and it's my 18th favorite steel coaster. The one at Camelback is my 14th. (I really love mountain coasters).

I also really enjoy alpine coasters, but until yesterday I never experienced any airtime. I rode the Thunderbolt at East Berkshire (Charlemont, Mass). At least three times I was out of my seat. This is easier the best one I've ridden to date and recommend it if you are in the area (one hour northwest of SFNE) This one is an ADG installation. I've noticed that the Weigand installions I've ridden are all smooth, but the ADG one's are a little bumpier, some bump are fabricated into the track, but the seams connecting the track aren't always smooth.