TPR Home | Parks | Twitter | Facebook | YouTube | Instagram 

Holiday World (HW) Discussion Thread

Done!

Have to say, while I'd prefer to see something like EGF being built, the GP loves inversions too much, and I do think that a steel coaster without inversions would be seen as "inferior" by most of the people that come to the park. Maybe they can build an Olympia Looping clone...

dt

Hahahaha I mentioned that they should buy Olympia Looping at the end of my survey! Clearly this is the direction they should head...

Personally, I think it would be foolish for anyone to think ONE steel coaster would complete the HW coaster collection. There are too many types that do too many things to have one coaster that does them all. Whatever HW decides to build, it needs to do something never seen before, because that is what we've come to expect over the last decade...And quite honestly, if they are going to listen to the enthusiast community like they did when they built Voyage, then whatever they build really SHOULD be a top twenty coaster.

Though, Again, Olympia Looping would fit in VERY well to the park.

• Replies 12.6k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

Holiday World posted a clue as to next year's theme in their HWN Facebook group... I couldn't pass up the opportunity...

So, I think i'm going to burst my HWN cherry next year and finally take the trip (before I get too old).  I've never did a several day coaster event so I have no idea what to expect.  I've also never

My tips are that you really don’t need two full days in the park if they’re running rides at full capacity, but they probably won’t be next year in time for the event given the vaccine schedule.

Posted Images

I filled it out. Suggested what I thought would be best for the park, not for myself personally.

For the park I suggested a small Intamin launched coaster with inversions. Think Kanonen at Liseberg. I mentioned that if they were against using Intamin they check out Drivliet's Formule X as that ride was really awesome and surprised a bunch of us.

I took the survey at Holiwood Nights and put down a Intamin Mega-lite. I think that type of ride would be perfect for Holiday World. But a ride with inversions wouldn't be bad also, maybe a invert or something. Whatever Holiday World decides to do, it is going to be awesome.

I think a park with a variety of wooden coasters would not benefit from adding a steel version of a wooden coaster. The voyage, in my opinion, is virtually a hyper coaster. If they go steel it should have an emphasis on inversions. They are soo many options out here but I think the new mack launcher would be a good fit! I just don't think anything launched from intamin would be a Good choice for their first steel coaster. Sorry intamin, however...a traditional lift intamin like Fahrenheit could work...

I recommended something along the lines of Silver Dollar City's Powder Keg--a launched coaster that is relatively "family friendly." I suppose it could have a loop or two, if they wanted them.

I thought about this before I posted my ideas up...

1.) Look at Dollywood or Busch Gardens Williamsburg: Their terrain coasters fit perfectly into the park- and are glass smooth designs all over. PLus, they look like they 'belong' in their respective theme areas, and fit the mood of the park.

While I'd love to see a Schwarzkopf clone (I can hear the 'DUH' comments now... you know who you are!) I don't think they'd be right for HW's needs and wants- it's a family park, after all- so that should be an aspect of thought in creating a park's design in general.

(Unless they were to snap up Revolution at a good price, and move it to Indiana. Then I'd be hiring a moving van!)

R.D.

When I heard there was a survey regarding steel coasters being taken at HWN, I imagined the overwhelming majority of responses focused on Intamin and airtime.

I went with an inverter that made use of terrain. I agree with the thought that airtime is a category pretty well represented at the park, but if they went that route again, something like the already mentioned Powder Keg is a ride I thought would be great at HW since SDC built it.

Edited by Ed Farmer

^^Well DUH!

I put down a custom Megalite that sticks to the terrain mostly, and now I don't know if I should've put that or a Blitz-but I did rate number of inversions at 7...

But Holiday World will surely pick something awesome with or without our help!

I suggested something along the lines of Intamin's Kanonen, a Maurer-Sohne X Car, or Mystery Mine/Powder Keg Dollywood ride.

Though I could see an Expedition Ge Force or a mega-lite working there.

EDIT: Just read a page back at Elissa's post, ha, I thought of the same thing (somewhat.) Great minds think alike!

This is what I said:

"Okay. Holiday World has it's own twist on things, it's own "style" if you will. For example. HW's take on wooden coasters = VOYAGE! It's unique and a pretty awesome ride. I think a ride like Sooperdooperlooper (SDL) at HersheyPark would best suit Holiday World. Why do I say this? It's a simple concept, but unique. I think HW should have something no more than 100 feet tall, with a basic drop and loop. After the loop, I would like to see the remainder of the ride filled with medium-intense airtime and a finale helix. It would fit the "classic" personality that HW has, and I think it would honestly be something that a lot of families could go on."

This is what I said:

"Okay. Holiday World has it's own twist on things, it's own "style" if you will. For example. HW's take on wooden coasters = VOYAGE! It's unique and a pretty awesome ride. I think a ride like Sooperdooperlooper (SDL) at HersheyPark would best suit Holiday World. Why do I say this? It's a simple concept, but unique. I think HW should have something no more than 100 feet tall, with a basic drop and loop. After the loop, I would like to see the remainder of the ride filled with medium-intense airtime and a finale helix. It would fit the "classic" personality that HW has, and I think it would honestly be something that a lot of families could go on."

You're not the only one who posted something similar to that- as I did the same.

If anything, HW is a family park- with family attractions (Save 'Voyage') where building a 'ginormous 29 inversion floorless launched woodie' would be a HUGE mistake- but rather: K.I.S.S.- Keep it simple and smart. (There's another acronym for that- I know). Loch Ness Monster, Tennessee Tornado (Scaled down, of course) and HersheyPark's sdL were at the top of my 'list' as well as some of the better small to medium class coasters out there. I keep seeing Intamin pop up- and as much as I like Intamin rides, I think they would have to scale back the intensity on them to truly create a smaller-scale ride.

(If Arrow were still around, and this was 1979, I'd have put them at the TOP of the list to do it!)

I think if Holiday World gets a steel coaster, it should be a ride experience very different than their wooden coasters but still accessible to the same group of riders. I haven't been to the park yet (going for the first time next month), but the wooden coasters appear to have large drops, massive airtime, and tunnels covered adequately. The best type of steel coaster would be something that is launched and has inversions, but isn't super intense and has a 48" height requirement. I think something like Maverick, although possibly a little less intense, would be a good fit for the park.

Now that Intamin has done Cheetah Hunt we know that they can pull off the "family launched coaster." I would love to see Holiday World add a coaster like Cheetah Hunt. Perhaps with a dark ride portion, but no need for three launches. I think one would be enough. I would love to see it hug the ground like Cheetah Hunt, and Holiday World always does a good job of blending their coasters in with the existing landscape, so I know that they would be able to pull it off!

^They'd call it Turkey Hunt and put it in the Thanksgiving area.

Kind of surprised it hasn't been brought up but something similar to Kennywood's Sky Rocket would be a nice addition - it has a decent launch, three inversions, two vertical drops, airtime, and isn't a huge ride. The only thing is they would have to make the second half a bit more thrilling and modify the trains for better leg room.

I think something like a terrain launched Intamin Blitz coaster similar to Maverick, except maybe more family friendly and ground hugging could be great for the park...

Right now, it seems everyone wants an Intamin...

I think some people here are selling HW short in assuming the ride must be tame or small. If you honestly think that is all that is appropriate for the park then recommend that, but don't assume you have to pull your punches because HW cannot handle the rides you really like. They were pretty clear that they intend to grow the park considerably and that would intail more than just a family coaster, although one could be included.

I think a launched looping headbanger is not the best choice for a first steel. If it is looping, a B&M invert is the best choice. However an Intamin airtime machine in the 140-210 foot range is probably the best choice. (While I am sure the park could go higher, additional resourses should be put to the layout.) They will build it like other American parks will not, which is what makes the place unique. HW has sustained a very good growth rate by sticking to the model of instead of giving the GP what they think they want that only drives guests one year, they give quality that turns guests in press agents and drives repeat business.

I suggested something like Maverick, Cheetah Hunt, or iSpeed. Those offer up some of steel's best attributes like smoothness, inversions, and the ability to launch. They can also offer up either extreme or family thrills.

I think some people here are selling HW short in assuming the ride must be tame or small. If you honestly think that is all that is appropriate for the park then recommend that, but don't assume you have to pull your punches because HW cannot handle the rides you really like.

That's what I was thinking. It seems the common thing people are saying is "holiday world is a family park" I dont know if I would consider The Voyage a family coaster so to speak. Also, there are some real thrill seeking families out there that like to visit the parks!

^Actually, I think that's an argument for having a somewhat more family friendly coaster at Holiday World, other than the Holidog-themed kiddie coaster. Raven, Legend, and Voyage are all rather intense rides.

Edited by cfc

^That's a very valid point, considering their general procession in intensity from the Legend to the Voyage to Pilgrim's Plunge to Wildebeest. I think people are thinking that maybe now they readjust their focus, as although it is definitely a destination park now, it still is essentially a park that caters to families.

Having have been there, I know that it really isn't that big, it already feels too small for the rides it has in it. So I think people underestimate the need to round out their collection.