TPR Home | Parks | Twitter | Facebook | YouTube | Instagram 

Holiday World (HW) Discussion Thread

Screenshots from six flags apps this week suggest virtual flash passes and skip the line passes are coming. Seems they have a virtual queue system ready to go sometime soon.

• Replies 12.6k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

Holiday World posted a clue as to next year's theme in their HWN Facebook group... I couldn't pass up the opportunity...

So, I think i'm going to burst my HWN cherry next year and finally take the trip (before I get too old).  I've never did a several day coaster event so I have no idea what to expect.  I've also never

My tips are that you really don’t need two full days in the park if they’re running rides at full capacity, but they probably won’t be next year in time for the event given the vaccine schedule.

Posted Images

Any idea how crowded the waterpark was? I'm going to HW in a little over a week, and would like to check out the waterpark, but I'm worried about social distancing (or lack of it).

Waterpark was less crowded yesterday. Longest wait was 30 mins for Cheetah Chase. Mammoth and Wildebeest were both 15 mins. There’s enough room in the lines to social distance as long as other people are trying to do so as well. I found that if you make it known you’re trying to social distance, people tend to respect that and give you your space for the most part. There was enough room in the wave pool and lazy river to social distance. My group floated in the lazy river with 2 extra rafts to help distance are selfs from other people when we felt like we were getting too close. We made sure there were enough rafts floating around before we did that. If there hadn’t been, we wouldn’t have gotten in.

Waterpark was less crowded yesterday. Longest wait was 30 mins for Cheetah Chase. Mammoth and Wildebeest were both 15 mins. There’s enough room in the lines to social distance as long as other people are trying to do so as well. I found that if you make it known you’re trying to social distance, people tend to respect that and give you your space for the most part. There was enough room in the wave pool and lazy river to social distance. My group floated in the lazy river with 2 extra rafts to help distance are selfs from other people when we felt like we were getting too close. We made sure there were enough rafts floating around before we did that. If there hadn’t been, we wouldn’t have gotten in.
Very interesting reports. How is distancing on the rides themselves? Or are they filling each row and seat as usual?

They board by the group. There are no single riders or boarding 2 separate groups in the same raft. In the dry park, your seated by the group on the coasters and then they separate the groups by a row. Thunderbird is the only ride running at full capacity because each row is at least 6 feet apart. The only thing different they do would be not allowing single riders to ride together in the same row. They also assign seats at each coaster. Boarding by groups is how they do it on all their attractions and then they socially distance you from the other groups. Honestly I like their way how they’re running ride operations better than most parks are doing it. The only down fall is it’s causing them to allocate staff in places they wouldn’t normally do it. I personally think it would be better for them to block off rows on Raven and Legend so they can pull the person assigning rows up to check restraints and be able to run 2 trains and decrease the wait for those rides.

I’m sure they had some type of new ride planned, but it’s probably been pushed back a year or two now. HW is a very financially well ran park. My guess would be that the capital investment budget for 2021 was mostly set prior to COVID-19, but they’ve probably now allocated that money to purchasing the virtual queuing system and having that money to fall back on for this year if they operate at a loss this season (which is very likely they will). Honestly, if things return to normal next season, I think it might be smart of them to take this virtual queuing system and turn it into a upgrade to act as a fast pass reservation system. Doing this they don’t have to create a new queue for fast passes and can just use the rides exits. The more I think about it, I think that’s their big investment. Expanding their virtual queuing system (to cover the waterpark too) and monetizing it. They’ve gotta recoup and make up for their losses somewhere.

I do too, but the majority of people who go to HW don’t really care for it from what I can tell outside of enthusiasts and the season pass holders who frequent the park and understand how it works. If they advertise it as a skip the line or fast pass option, people will be more receptive of it IMO.

I thought the virtual queue was good. Takes awhile to fine tune that type of thing but it seemed to work pretty well. On a hot day I went to the car and took a nap while waiting for the Voyage. Seems better than standing in line.

I could see offering a premium option where it cuts the times by some % being very easy to implement (and probably already in the software).

Question for Holiday World regulars: is Thunderbird considered a 'reliable' coaster?

I'm curious because we're seeing that B&M working on (allegedly) a launched coaster with the Surf Coaster and I'm wondering if there one existing in house launch (versus Hulk) is considered to be reliable versus some other manufacturers launch systems which seem to experience more down time.

In the visits I've done, I say absolutely. I don't think I've ever been to Holiday World (whether on my own or during an event) where I've ever seen it down for extended periods of time, if ever at all. I've seen it not perform properly due to outside factors (cold morning causes 1 launch rollback but fine for rest of day, huge downpour stops ops for a bit), but when ready to go it's back up in almost no time.

Thunderbird appears to be super reliable, which is quite the testament to B&M's decision to wait on launches until they could do it reliably.

On another topic, if anyone that had previously bought tickets to HoliWood Nights for this year but now can't attend due to the park's disappointing stance on virus protections Angie from the group ticketing department at Holiday World was *extremely* nice and helpful to me yesterday and immediately gave us a refund for our tickets and related fees... the park was originally hoping that we'd accept 3 tickets for another day in exchange. She can be reached at 800-467-2682 and told me to feel free to share the contact info.

Went to holiday world briefly today. Arrived 30 min after park opening to an absolutely massive crowd outside the gate (I guess bc today was a weekend). I bet it was easily over a thousand people all lined up waiting to get in. That said the line moved quickly and took about 30 minutes. There was no Health screenings or covid forms to fill out, which I thought was odd. Only went through a metal detector and that was it. Virtual queuing system was def nice, got to look around in the shops while waiting. love the made to thrill designed swag, but I can't stomach paying 30 bucks for a t-shirt. Got a ride in voyage, which I had never ridden before, which was excellent. LONG ride!

Regarding covid.... I'd estimate less than 5% of people wearing masks. No one was really doing any social distancing either. This personally doesn't bother me, but I can see how it would really turn a lot of people away. That said, it was great to see many many people out and about supporting the local theme park and trying to get back to normal. It was very very hot, I suspect most people came for the water park

The Governor of Indiana just mandated masks be worn indoors and in all outdoor spaces where social distancing isn’t possible. I seriously hope the park starts enforcing them so I can go get some Voyage laps.

For what it's worth, Kentucky has had a mask mandate too and KK is only enforcing masks when at the park entrance gate, at indoor facilities and waiting in line for concessions. I won't be surprised seeing HW do something similar.

I know the reasons why they didn’t mandate masks at the park. Those are they weren’t required required by the state at the time, the majority of their patrons are stubborn/kinda ignorant ( I’ll show you what I mean later) and they don’t have the staffing numbers to actually enforce it. With that said, it would have been easier to take the precaution even tho it wasn’t required by the state and enforce it from the beginning of the season instead of waiting until it was mandated and having to change your policies and signage in the park again.

I always where mine in the dry park and I’m looking into finding one to wear in the waterpark.

These are some screenshots of the season pass holder group I’m in. These are just ones from today. HW usually deletes the really bad posts or comments before I even think about screenshoting it. Last week someone posted in the group asking if they could start a petition to get the employees out of wearing a mask because it’s too hot outside.

46538037-E156-4033-8031-08F6AD55C862.thumb.jpeg.6c365049b6112af60327d81683071945.jpeg

BF49BBF5-265A-4D5B-A5A8-736D37458480.thumb.jpeg.12725039d8620310528777bb507f1fef.jpeg

C9EBE69B-1135-42A6-9E58-8BD353F0BA05.thumb.jpeg.fc2f44c41fea5b1ff20b980248de1e13.jpeg

CFCF4E1D-99BE-4E52-A4AD-2C961710ADCE.thumb.jpeg.3bfc1ea7fd9ece7a5c06dd5474161201.jpeg

"I have asthma and allergies with congestion..."

Honestly, mask comfort should probably be one of the least of their concerns at that point... I can't fathom being so susceptible to asthma flares and still going out to an amusement park at this time at all.

With the new mask mandate, my friend (from California) and I are second thinking about going to Holiwood Nights. I understand the mask mandate - and agree on rides and in small spaces. Personally, I'd rather not wear a mask at a park all day on midways and stuff, so I may not go.

It's an adult decision and it will stink if I don't go, but following the rules and respecting others is more important.

Crazy thought - I can race down to the park to get my ya-ya's out before the mandate goes in effect on Monday. I might just settle for Little A-merrick-A, which is much closer, but it's a tough choice! Ahhh... high class issues. I'll live through it.

They're echoing what KK did with needing masks when walking in the park and at indoor buildings and coaster stations and not needing to wear them walking around the midway.

How can you hate a water coaster? Especially at Holiday World?

Find a new husband?

¯\_ (ツ)_/¯

I'd say heights. I struggled getting him on Frightful Falls. I was impressed he went up the Eiffel Tower at Kings Island but I couldn't get him to walk over to look down.

On the other hand, I told my friends we're going next summer so they can ride them with me. Wildebeest has been my #1 ride since it opened.