TPR Home | Parks | Twitter | Facebook | YouTube | Instagram 

Holiday World (HW) Discussion Thread

So, we have never been to Holiday World, but thinking of making a trip there this fall. If we go in October, is there a risk that some of the coasters don't run if the temperature drops below a certain temperature? Or is that not an issue?

• Replies 12.6k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I can't quite remember it being cold enough up at Holiday World in October for it to warrant not opening certain rides. Closest thing to it was having been to an early morning ERT session where it was cold enough for Thunderbird to have a rollback, but then they just reset it and launched it again and it ran fine for the rest of the day.

Personally, I don't think you should worry.

A little side story here, so the friend I went with is a cop, and he absolutely hates the smell of weed. He actually had an encounter with some kids smoking weed in the bathroom at Cedar Point a couple of months ago

Tell him to relax and quit being a cop on his days off.

Sounds like you guys had a good trip.

^ I do have to remind him about that from time to time. He's usually pretty good about not being a cop on his days off, but there are some things that set him off.

I can't quite remember it being cold enough up at Holiday World in October for it to warrant not opening certain rides. Closest thing to it was having been to an early morning ERT session where it was cold enough for Thunderbird to have a rollback, but then they just reset it and launched it again and it ran fine for the rest of the day.

Personally, I don't think you should worry.

Yeah all of the woodies once warmed up shouldn't ever have a problem completing the course. Isn't the standard running temp for all B&M outside of SF Great Adventure around 40 degrees? Plus, once Thunderbird completes the launch, that ride hauls through the entire course, so it would have to be unusually cold in October for them not to run it.

The first couple of years of the Halloween event, they closed The Legend down for off-season maintenance, but since they've revamped it in 2016, it's been open the last couple of falls.

• 3 weeks later...

Visited HW yesterday and it was that perfect dreary type of day to be there. The forecast had been calling for a lot of rain Sunday, but last minute, forecast changed and we made the trip over. Multiple rides on the 4 coasters, and rode almost all the non kiddie rides, and the longest wait we had was about 5 minutes, but pretty much everything was walk on. Park looked great with the Halloween theming as usual. Even though I've been going to HW for 15 years, I just can't get over how great of a park this is.

• 2 weeks later...

Santa’s Merry Marketplace to open in 2019!

SANTA CLAUS, IND.—–Holiday World’s iconic Kringle’s Kafe will serve its final customers on October 28, as construction of the new Santa’s Merry Marketplace begins in November.

“We’re ramping up the theming and the menus for next season,” says park president Matt Eckert. “Santa’s Merry Marketplace is nearly 50 percent larger than Kringle’s. It will include more menu items plus a coffee shop, bakery, candy store, and ice cream shop.

Holiday World will invest a total of $5.5 million for the 2019 season, including:

• Santa’s Merry Marketplace, with five serving stations offering varying menus, plus Candy Cane Confectionary, Sugarplum Scoop Shoppe, and the Polar Expresso
  • New “Kids World” event for five weekends starting in mid-August
  • On-ride photos for Gobbler Getaway dark ride
  • Candy Cornucopia store and Dippin’ Dots Sundae Shoppe in the Thanksgiving section
  • Track improvements for The Voyage, the world’s second-longest wooden roller coaster
  • Additional Cabanas

“With Santa’s Merry Marketplace, we’ll start a new tradition at Holiday World, as Santa Claus greets park Guests each morning from the bell-tower balcony,” says Eckert. “We also plan to work in some reminders of our Santa Claus Land days and other magical surprises.”

1738935996_Candy-Cane-Confectionary-Polar-Expresso-web(1).thumb.jpg.9f43dcf823bf10fe6898eda255b47e9b.jpg1975704154_DpOMY0rVAAY77OS(1).thumb.jpg.069b350823d035504b083fb119d3c287.jpg

Edited by jedimaster1227
This looks awesome! And the video has all the puns I would expect from Holiday World. Polar Expresso...that's great.

We had to cut "Pizza on Earth," "Five Onion Rings," and "Wok-in' in a Winter Wonderland," from the first draft, but ... oh well.

This looks awesome! And the video has all the puns I would expect from Holiday World. Polar Expresso...that's great.

We had to cut "Pizza on Earth," "Five Onion ringy dingy ding-a-ling dings," and "Wok-in' in a Winter Wonderland," from the first draft, but ... oh well.

You guys kill better puns than most people ever think of.

I read through the article, but I didn't catch where Beer Man is going.

HAHA...that was my first thought too! The concept art reminded me of something German...and German's love beer. Oh well...at least they are giving Voyage some more love. I need to get out there and try it again someday in the front seat.

....We had to cut "Pizza on Earth," "Five Onion ringy dingy ding-a-ling dings," and "Wok-in' in a Winter Wonderland," from the first draft, but ... oh well.

Hey, you could always save them for next year's Holidaze Collektion.

Jingle Jingle.

holiday-santa-coaster.jpg.a92f76ebd830e9ba0cc4be76909d2d9c.jpg