TPR Home | Parks | Twitter | Facebook | YouTube | Instagram 

Holiday World (HW) Discussion Thread

I haven't been to Holiday world since 2007 when voyage had 3 - 28 passenger trains. How are the lines on it now that it only has 2 - 24 passenger trains? I know its a long ride so it seems that the dispatches would definitely suffer with only two trains.

• Replies 12.6k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

No, they make them good now. /ducks

Forget throwing a guitar off the ride, judging by the musical style, it seems he got to ride Voyage in 2003!

Holiday World posted a clue as to next year's theme in their HWN Facebook group... I couldn't pass up the opportunity...

Posted Images

^ According to the park, they determined that they have faster dispatches with the 2 train 24 passenger cars. They have one less car to check and are more efficient.

When they had 3 trains, I believe they always ended up stacking and it didn't really help capacity.

^ According to the park, they determined that they have faster dispatches with the 2 train 24 passenger cars. They have one less car to check and are more efficient.

When they had 3 trains, I believe they always ended up stacking and it didn't really help capacity.

I have a hard time believing that 2 trains is better than 3 or even comes anywhere close to the throughput. Even if it stacks it allows you to dispatch the next train without waiting for the other one to get to the end. The Voyage has an extremely long cycle time. Upwards of 3 minutes. That means the average dispatch time with perfect dispatches with two trains could never be better than 3 minutes. Thats a terrible number. I seriously doubt the crew wouldn't be able to dispatch in 1:30-2 minutes if they had 3 trains. Even that isn't exactly fast. Nitro at Great Adventure frequently has dispatches under 50 seconds and thats with 36 people trains.

In the current configuration the theoretical best they could do is 24 x 20 dispatches per hour (3 minutes between) which comes out to 480 rides per hour under the perfect circumstances. (every seat filled, no delayed dispatches). And thats being generous, the cycle time is actually longer than 3 minutes.

Adding in a third train would roughly double the capacity. They could theoretically do 1:30 dispatches (not really a hard number to hit). That would up the number of dispatches per hour to 40 which comes out to 960 per hour. Even if you couldn't quite double it, as long as you can increase it enough that the ride puts through more than the number that enter per hour than the line will remain short. With only two trains the line will easily build up.

I wouldn't think about it too hard. It was posted some pages ago by Paula that they found they had better throughput with two trains instead of three. By the time one train finally dispatches out of the station, the other one is already going over the curve above the lift hill. Gotta factor in people unloading and grabbing their bags, new people loading and putting their bags away, fitting the seat belts, checking restraints, finding that one kid who didn't buckle his belt properly, and waiting for the midcourse to clear.

... but again, I wouldn't think about it too hard. The dispatch times are still pretty decent for the coaster.

Even if they have a train ready to go, I don't think I've ever seen them dispatch a train until the one on the course has cleared at least the third 90 degree turn.

The reason for that is because they only have two trains. With a third train they could dispatch earlier as they would have a train ready to be loaded behind the station.

I wouldn't think about it too hard. It was posted some pages ago by Paula that they found they had better throughput with two trains instead of three. By the time one train finally dispatches out of the station, the other one is already going over the curve above the lift hill. Gotta factor in people unloading and grabbing their bags, new people loading and putting their bags away, fitting the seat belts, checking restraints, finding that one kid who didn't buckle his belt properly, and waiting for the midcourse to clear.

... but again, I wouldn't think about it too hard. The dispatch times are still pretty decent for the coaster.

You don't need to wait for the midcourse to clear to dispatch the next train. You only need the train in front to clear the lift.

Also 3-4 minute dispatches are not decent by any stretch. Those are terrible dispatch intervals.

Nitro at Great Adventure frequently has dispatches under 50 seconds and thats with 36 people trains.

That's an apple and oranges situation. Nitro doesn't have seat belts and the operators can check restraints essentially standing up. I operated a coaster with PTC trains for years. For us to unload/load/dispatch in a minute or less was almost impossible to do regularly simply due to the number of guests that would have trouble with the seat belts.

Also 3-4 minute dispatches are not decent by any stretch. Those are terrible dispatch intervals.

The coaster lasts 2 minutes 45 seconds, the ride dispatches in less time than that. And similar to what ZeroGravity55 said, they're usually not even ready to dispatch the next train until the returning train is beyond the halfway point and already coming back.

^^ Those seat belts on those trains can be a pain in the ass, especially if you're riding after a little kid who had it adjusted to its shortest length possible. I eventually learned that it was easier to pull it to full length before you ever sit down then to try and do it while your sitting down.

Any recommendations on where to stay a couple of nights for Holiday World. We've never stayed in a hotel cause my family lives 2.5 hours away but this time we're planning on being there 2 days in a row. Where's a good place to stay?

For HoliWood Nights, is there any chance of Voyage having the MCBR lessened/turned off as I've heard sometimes happens?

After enough "suggestions", they had them off for last year's Holiwood Nights ERT sessions.

Just noticed this on the parks website:

Opening Early June – Tembo Falls & Tembo Tides!

Can't say I'm surprised by this. It feels like it's rained every day for the last month around here. Although I will say that since I've been following the park, if it does indeed take until early June to open Tembo Falls & Tembo Tides, that'll be the latest I've ever seen them open a new attraction. Again, not trying to say this is bad, as the weather hasn't been conducive the last month or so for construction to proceed at a normal pace.

That's become SOP for HoliWood Nights the past few years - brake-free ERT on Voyage.

I'm loving the triple meaning of SOP!

1. Standard Operating Procedure

2. "a thing given or done as a concession of no great value to appease someone whose main concerns or demands are not being met"

3. "a piece of bread dipped in gravy"

That's become SOP for HoliWood Nights the past few years - brake-free ERT on Voyage.

2. "a thing given or done as a concession of no great value to appease someone whose main concerns or demands are not being met"

I looked up SOP and saw the same the meanings, but read them in reverse order. I thought that it was #2 until I read #1.

Speaking of Holiday World, I pulled the trigger for their Holiwood Nights event and will be going to HW for the first time ever in June. Really looking forward to it!

I looked up SOP and saw the same the meanings, but read them in reverse order. I thought that it was #2 until I read #1.

Speaking of Holiday World, I pulled the trigger for their Holiwood Nights event and will be going to HW for the first time ever in June. Really looking forward to it!

Awesome! It's a great event, and a great way to experience Holiday World. You're going to have a great time.

Easily my favorite roller coaster enthusiast event, ever! I love returning to it every year, though sadly this might be the year I have to skip due to other interfering travel plans. I'm sure you guys will have a blast! Just remember to take breaks in between re-rides.

^^ I'm pretty sure, if there's another event I'd be interested in attending, like I enjoyed

CoasterMANIA! last June, Holiwood Nights would definitely be one of them.

• 4 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...

It's been 2 long years since my last Holiwood Nights, I'm so excited I can't sit still. I wonder if Holiday World will build their own hotel at some point? It would definitely be quality!