TPR Home | Parks | Twitter | Facebook | YouTube | Instagram 

Holiday World (HW) Discussion Thread

How about one of those new "hand motion" activated dark rides (like Ninjago at Legoland) where you get a box of candy hearts and the goal is "push" away into a virtual trash can the disgusting white ones as quickly as possible. Whoever rids the earth of the most white hearts wins!

^ No arrows, though, depicting violence.

We'd refer to them as "Heart Callers."

Think of what would happen if you posted a video of those on Facebook considering what happened when you posted videos of the fireworks. That was the hardest I ever laughed while listening to the podcast.

I went to Holiday World for the first time the other day, and WOW! My expectations were high, and Holiday World exceeded every expectation. It is such a WONDERFUL park! One thing I noticed is that every employee looked happy, they looked like they wanted to be there, and they were all so friendly! On every ride I went on, the operators were walking around offering to grab bags for guests, and sometimes they would even take them back to the guests as soon as the ride was over! And most of them would interact or talk with guests! And operations were very quick, too. The park was also VERY clean, probably the cleanest park I've seen! I didn't see any trash on the ground in the park, and the one time I saw someone toss an empty cup on the ground, one of the sweepers came over immediately and picked it up. I thought the food that I had was great, I had pizza and some fudge and I thought they were both great and cheap! Now on to the rides. I rode all the flat rides in the park, and my favorite flats were either Scarecrow Scrambler, Hallowswings, Firecracker, or Eagles Flight. The water rides in their dry park were outstanding! Raging Rapids got my soaked and I love the buildings they have at the end. Frightful Falls was definitely my favorite of the two, it got you wet enough, but not too wet. And I love those slight downhill sections. Now to the coasters. You know a park has a good lineup when you can't decide which is your favorite. Thunderbird was very forceful, I felt like I was graying out in the loop! It was my first wing coaster and I love it! The Raven, I didn't know what to expect, I heard some say it is rough and overrated and some that say it is one of the best wooden coasters. I thought it was really smooth in the front, and I really loved it! There was a bit of airtime and the laterals were very strong, but it is still probably my least favorite of the woodies. Voyage is wonderful! It is VERY smooth in the front and it had so much airtime! Plus I felt like I was hanging out of my seat on the ninety degree turns! It is in my top four wooden coasters, but I can't decide where to place it in there. But my favorite wooden roller coaster at Holiday World is the Legend. WOW! It just felt so out of control! It was fast, smooth, had four great airtime moments, and the laterals! Oh my LORD! My favorite part of the ride is the last half with the helix, double down, and those corners of death. I just have nothing but great things to say about it! I rode it probably twelve times! I can't decide if it is number three, two or one on my top four woodie list! Overall, Holiday World is my favorite amusement park. I'm so grateful I live only six and a half hours away in Springfield, Missouri.

^ Thanks so much - we're really glad you enjoyed your first visit! Here's hoping there are plenty more in your future!

Thank YOU for an awesome day! It was a nice change from the theme park I'm used to (Silver Dollar City). My father enjoyed it a lot, too. He isn't much of a rider and he actually rode Raven, Voyage, and Thunderbird! I thought I was going to be lucky if I even got him on the Raven.

Hello all,

I am posting this in multiple threads so I apologize if you read this more than once.

Anyways, August 5th-15th we are doing our yearly coaster trip. This year will include visits to SFSL, WoF, SDC, SFSL again (gotta love season passes), Holiday World, Kentucky Kingdom, and Kings Island.

We will be at holiday world for most of the day on Saturday the 12th, but probably won't be there at opening. We've been to holiday world a few times in the last 2 years so we know the park fairly well and this stop in will really just be for the amusement park.

We are curious about the crowds we will encounter that day and any tips you have about plan of attack or about the park in general.

Thank you so much in advance

^ If the weather is decent, I would say that it's a safe bet that any park within our solar system is going to be busy on a Saturday during the summer.

Although if it's a gazillion degrees (like it seems to be during the summer in Indiana), the ride part of the park will likely not be anywhere near as crowded as Splashin' Safari. So if you're not into water parks, you might be able to knock out the dry side within a few hours. If you're going to the water park on a Saturday and it's very hot, I wish you luck!

^ If the weather is decent, I would say that it's a safe bet that any park within our solar system is going to be busy on a Saturday during the summer.

Although if it's a gazillion degrees (like it seems to be during the summer in Indiana), the ride part of the park will likely not be anywhere near as crowded as Splashin' Safari. So if you're not into water parks, you might be able to knock out the dry side within a few hours. If you're going to the water park on a Saturday and it's very hot, I wish you luck!

Lol yeah we expect it to be pretty crowded but want to hear what some regulars have to say.

We are staying far away from the water park for that very reason. We've done the water park many times so we aren't really missing anything. We love the water park but the crowds there will I'm sure be unbearable

^ yeahhhhhh about that... Voyage filled up all of its basement queues in the morning, making for an hour wait this past Saturday. The line did go down later on, but I'm pretty sure it still stayed down in the basement all day. It'll be absolutely slammed most likely. However, the park will most likely have a bit more staff to keep the lines moving, as we did this weekend (at Voyage at least). It shouldn't ever really end up feeling like you just flat out aren't moving because of this, hopefully. If you aren't doing the waterpark, you should still have plenty of time to get around to everything still.

Yeah Saturdays at HW are just a bad idea in general during July/August. Its going packed every where. It doesn't matter if you do the waterpark or not. The year Thunderbird opened, I remember seeing pics of cars parking on the side of the highway because they apparently ran out of parking space. Coming in on a two-lane highway, traffic can get pretty backed up as well.

Yeah Saturdays at HW are just a bad idea in general during July/August. Its going packed every where. It doesn't matter if you do the waterpark or not. The year Thunderbird opened, I remember seeing pics of cars parking on the side of the highway because they apparently ran out of parking space. Coming in on a two-lane highway, traffic can get pretty backed up as well.

I avoid any park on the weekends for that same reason, I always try to do parks on a Tuesday or Wednesday as these always seems like the least busiest days.

I avoid any park on the weekends for that same reason, I always try to do parks on a Tuesday or Wednesday as these always seems like the least busiest days.

I tend to try to go during the week, too. But I've always found that Sunday mornings are usually pretty dead, too due to the fact that lots of people go to church. At least that's the fact down here in Southwest, Missouri with SDC. Although then again, that park almost never gets a huge crowd. I've only seen lots of people there during Spring Break and the Christmas season.

But with work sometimes weekends are the only option. I like to go to parks on days with rain in the forecast since it keeps people away. I had a dead Sunday a few months back at Holiday World and Splashin' Safari and it was glorious.

• 2 weeks later...

While I haven't been to Holiday World on a Saturday in August, we recently went earlier this month and it was so hot and humid that day plus very busy. I hadn't been there when it's been that busy. The water park was packed like sardines since it was so hot. The longest lines was for the water coasters, Raging Rapids and Thunderbird.

• 2 weeks later...