TPR Home | Parks | Twitter | Facebook | YouTube | Instagram 

Holiday World (HW) Discussion Thread

I made HW a central part of my travel plans for this summer, which was a big thing as I can only afford to travel once every couple years. I choose to go there because of their much heralded selection of wooden coasters, whose accolades I was aware of to some extent though not fully. But Holiday World did have something besides the coasters going for it, and I've read about the fine customer service and guest treatment at this park for years, and that is important to me. I have gone to parks with a lot of good rides and didn't have that great of an experience, but I felt assured that HW's attention to all aspects of the guest experience guaranteed I was going to have a good time.

Truth be told, I didn't enjoy the coasters as much as I was hoping, through it's not the coaster's fault as much as that my body, while not very old, doesn't allow me to enjoy intense coasters as much as I used to, and I have low nausea tolerance to boot. Even though I didn't enjoy my riding experience as much as I was hoping, I had a very good experience at Holiday World. The park was very pleasant, I was able to deal with terrible humidity through the free drinks, and the water rides were a major, major plus. It was quite a contrast from my experience later in the week at Carowinds, where Fury absolutely blew me away but I still had a lousy time dealing with absolutely no shade throughout a southern park (seriously do not care about the guest experience at all here), obnoxious park guests, and outside of an all star crew at Fury, pretty much the laziest and most unprofessional staff I've ever seen operating a theme park.

I'll gladly go out of my way for a park like HW, Knoebel's, or Kennywood where the experience comes full circle, while I don't ever feel like great rides guarantees a great experience.

• Replies 12.6k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

Holiday World posted a clue as to next year's theme in their HWN Facebook group... I couldn't pass up the opportunity...

My tips are that you really don’t need two full days in the park if they’re running rides at full capacity, but they probably won’t be next year in time for the event given the vaccine schedule.

Many have seen our theme for HoliWood Nights 2021: The Wizard of Ahhh...hs. But did you know we're doing some major work on one of our wooden coasters in 2021? It's more than 500 feet of eight layers

Posted Images

It was quite a contrast from my experience later in the week at Carowinds, where Fury absolutely blew me away but I still had a lousy time dealing with absolutely no shade throughout a southern park (seriously do not care about the guest experience at all here), obnoxious park guests, and outside of an all star crew at Fury, pretty much the laziest and most unprofessional staff I've ever seen operating a theme park.

I had the exact same experience, and feelings after my first visit to Carowinds earlier this year! I mean, Cedar Point doesn't have much in the way of shade either, but at least the ride ops tend to actually be pretty focused on their job, and performing it at a quality level.

Holiday World is truly a special park, and a place that I have immensely enjoyed both times I have gone!

I don't know how old you are, but I am geting closer to 40 myself, and have noticed that when it's really hot out, and there's not adequate shade, I start to lose my ability to handle the coasters that used to give me no trouble. At Holiday World this year, I spent most of my time riding The Voyage (which is my #1 Wooden Coaster) at nighttime, when it was cooler, so its intensity didn't bother me as much. So, I guess what I'm getting at is that I wonder if it's the heat that is the biggest problem for you as well. I got so sick at Carowinds due to the intense heat, and lack of shade outside, that I ended up sitting and doing nothing for over an hour. Thankfully, they at least have Harmony Hall there, which did give me a bit of a reprieve from the heat and sun, and allowed me to recharge enough to finish the park out. Just a thought, since it sounds like we may be in a similar boat...

Well now that I'm home an settled in, I can finally get to doing a TR.

Holiday World was a park that's been on my bucket list for a while now. The first time I found out about the park was from a Discovery Channel special from the 90's called Wild Rides which featured The Raven. Even though we've passed through Indiana before with my parents, it didn't once cross my mind stopping by. This year I finally had the chance, and with the addition to Thunderbird, it was a must!

I went to the park on Monday, arriving at around 9:30 and by this time, the place was already getting filled with guests. The crowds weren't too bad for the most part, especially when Splashin' Safari opened up. After getting into the park, I took the time to check out the gift shops in the Christmas section of the park. Major props to HW for having nice cool A/C in their stores and other buildings where as other parks have their stores and restaurants open, letting the A/C out. The lady at counter (Cami was her name I believe) was very nice and welcoming. We were talking and were having conversations about the east coast since she was from there as well. The hospitality of this park was great!

10 O'clock hits and rest of the park is open. First thing I head for...you guessed it, Thunderbird. And everyone else had the exact plan, as a majority of them headed towards the Thanksgiving area. I have never ever seen so many people run towards a roller coaster before! Finally I get to the line as it was actually starting outside of the queue and a ride attendant was letting people. Walking through the queue, I was extremely impressed with the themeing they did. The flickering lamps when the train launched was a very neat effect. Finally I get to another ride attendant at the end o the queue before it splits and he directs me to the left side of the train. Finally I get to the last ride attendant who directed me to the last row, which was the seat I was hoping to get, so I lucked out. Another prop for HW, outstanding operations! It was great seeing how quickly these ride ops got the trains in and out of the stations, especially after dealing with my home park's (Kings Dominion) horrible operations this year. As for the ride itself, amazing! The launch itself took me by a huge surprise as it was much forceful than I anticipated. The loop and Zero-G roll had some great G-forces to them. It wasn't old school B&M forceful, but still strong enough to notice. The inline twist was one of my favorite parts of the ride. I was able to get 7 rides through out the day once again, thanks to the great operations. Front and back seats on both sides. Holiday World also did a fantastic job with the plaza as well, nicely themed, and it was honestly my favorite part of the park. Thunderbird really paid off as it's very popular with everyone, and I mean everyone. Every time we hit the brakes, I heard nothing but "wows" and other compliments from everyone on the train. And for the record this ride is definitely one of my favorite B&M's.

After getting a ride on Tbird, I hit up the next ride, Voyage. I've heard mixed reviews about this ride, some say it's great, and others say it's rough and not worth re-riding, but a new credit is still a new credit to me. The queue was full (not including the downstairs), but just like Thunderbird's crew, these guys were on point and got trains out as fast as they could, probably waited less than 30 minutes. Just like every other wood coaster I sat in the last car front row. Honestly, I found this ride a lot of fun, IMO. It is a bit rough if you're on a wheel seat, but other than that I thought it was tolerable. Definitely not as rough than Hurler and Gwazi, so it was ok in my book. The ride is a lot better at night as well, especially if Thunderbird is dispatched at the right time as the lights on the train give it a nice effect. The triple down in the pitch black was also great and felt so out of control! Great ride overall.

After getting visiting the Thanksgiving area, I headed towards the Halloween section. It wasn't until this moment I actually took the time and observed the park itself. I couldn't help but notice how clean the park was and how the employees were very interactive and friendly they were to guests. One things for sure, all of them seemed to love their jobs. A nice change from, once again, Kings Dominion. I'm not trying to sound harsh towards my home park, but when you visit two parks and notice a better overall vibe, it's pretty hard not to point out. This year, KD's employees just work slow and look like they don't want to be there. Anyways I made my way over towards the Legend. I found this the roughest out of the three woodies there, but still a lot of fun! The layout was great and I loved how the ride interacted with the surrounding waterslides. I also loved how the bell on top of the station rang every time a train was dispatched. Small, but very cool effect. Next up was my second most anticipated ride in the park, the Raven. Just as I thought, it was easily my second favorite ride in the park, after Thunderbird of course. It was also the smoothest out of all of the woodies there. I can easily see why this was voted best wooded coaster at one point. The ride made great use of the surrounding terrain, and it hauls ass! The last drop was a huge surprise, as it provided great airtime in the last row. Great ride! After getting credits, I decided to check out some other rides. Since it was hot I took a spin on Raging Rapids and Frightful Falls. Decent water rides, nothing to special but it cooled me off so I was satisfied. I also took some rides on Revolution and HollowSwings, two flat rides I hadn't ridden in years, so it was great getting on these rides. I pretty much spent the entire day their, 9:30-8:30 and was able to get multiple rides on the coasters till I left. Unfortunately I didn't get to visit Splashin' Safari, which I'm kind of regretting right now, since their water park looked fantastic!

Some final thoughts before I get to the pictures:

-The park layout was nice, I thought. After having to use the map a few times, I quickly adapted to the layout and everything was easy to get to and find.

-I did find this strange as I've never seen this at any other park. In the morning both Raven and Legend were running two trains, but some point during the day, they switched to one train operations, making the lines a bit longer. But once again, fantastic operations made the wait more bearable. I'm going to guess it was maintenance related as I saw Legend's train being worked on. Raven's was just parked in the maintenance shed.

-Great value compared to other parks. $42 for admission, $5.99 for a Souvenir cup as opposed to chain parks where you're spending close to $10 or more. Cheaper food options as well!

-Free parking, sunscreen, sodas, and wi-fi (not that I really needed it). Enough said!

Ride count:

Thunderbird-7 (4 on the right side and 3 on the left)

Voyage-4

Legend-3

Raven-3

To sum up, Holiday World is a fantastic park that I believe everyone has to visit at some point. They have everything you could possibly want in an amusement park. Value, hospitality and rides.

Most of these are Thunderbird pictures since it was the highlight for me, and it was the easiest coaster to photograph. Enjoy

DSCN0023.thumb.JPG.d41b58c7f64bdd9ab0b1024f209c05a0.JPG

Raven, as seen from the front entrance.

DSCN0025.thumb.JPG.bba7e57c6ad57731ae36f85ef7488c60.JPG

Main plaza/Christmas area.

DSCN0029.thumb.JPG.313472c2c7ea09df93427b9b81cfa87c.JPG

The main reason I'm here!

DSCN0028.thumb.JPG.71289c11c88fc721832258897e24cc27.JPG

As you can tell, this ride is a huge hit for the park.

20150727_101456.thumb.jpg.73f2b7888a24aeaf91699bd6a92dcd88.jpg

Thunderbird's Station. Nicely done I must say.

DSCN0031.thumb.JPG.16e7125eb01ac65790fc250723e86921.JPG

DSCN0040.thumb.JPG.333d771683f8769f2115aaf734657bc2.JPG

Such a great addition to the park.

DSCN0032.thumb.JPG.268ca817e57c1c0d9d4896c265c75fad.JPG

Voyage!

DSCN0043.thumb.JPG.e9697702b5122d15f0986b81586587f9.JPG

DSCN0046.thumb.JPG.b3f0c65729f31f4292386e758d1123ef.JPG

Legend doing its thing

20150727_112903.thumb.jpg.78bd7721b2937e8da9cbc346c3e01679.jpg

DSCN0066.thumb.JPG.33b2e691704250745eb11f30d30a8022.JPG

DSCN0041.thumb.JPG.a2cdb3eb5f5576cee41f625944502117.JPG

I'm sure HW will have something awesome planned for the old Pilgrim's Plunge sometime in the future.

DSCN0059.thumb.JPG.68a1b7c6bf4329c9cc963a6c32d46f65.JPG

I see you!

DSCN0064.thumb.JPG.5d6ce7a40ca5ad1de6f06aaddb714ac1.JPG

Nevermore! Nevermore!

DSCN0062.thumb.JPG.44771dd93ac2f5ba0ae83a478088b681.JPG

Short but gets the job done on a hot day.

DSCN0037.thumb.JPG.1bdc5d13012d78758c04e5d67203c6a1.JPG

What? More Tbird pictures you say?

DSCN0057.thumb.JPG.633d5f396221a9f08b2ecb40c7a1bb10.JPG

I love this shot!

DSCN0048.thumb.JPG.aebcdd8445c8973b7e41fc62438b13e1.JPG

This ride was very photogenic.

DSCN0071.thumb.JPG.3d6600e578869a0b96f32bf59ad099e2.JPG

DSCN0067.thumb.JPG.edd3d48266118697c6124476a5f0f38c.JPG

DSCN0051.thumb.JPG.f6b4f44527218817f9489a5277646b24.JPG

"Thunderbird clear for launch"

DSCN0055.thumb.JPG.ef37f655f5a1894fe38abd9df00b1d63.JPG

Zero-G!

DSCN0073.thumb.JPG.8e53db8dbec60a5dce93d3c97fedd96e.JPG

Over look of the Thunderbird plaza. It may have been small, but it was my favorite place to hang out at. Great views of the ride as well.

DSCN0087.thumb.JPG.83467937e617e8124ab7d472539abe32.JPG

Amusement parks after sunset are always great.

DSCN0084.thumb.JPG.577970ba45158c9553852ebbaf2788e2.JPG

DSCN0082.thumb.JPG.a2c4f96f99b4f98e41cb3fc290418137.JPG

20150727_205324.thumb.jpg.5d5b6017022ec1ec717f124b5cf4128a.jpg

I wish I had gotten a night ride on Raven and Legend as well.

Thank you HW for an amazing time. I will definitely have to stop by again.

No problem. Holiday World is a very special park, easily one of my top 5 favorite parks now. It may have been an long 10 hour trip back and forth but it was well worth it.

Holiday World has no reason to feel the need to compete with KK.

I love Holiday World very dearly, but I do want to point out that they did scatter two of their billboards mere walking distance from different sides of Kentucky Kingdom! There's an extra along the highway near the airport as well.

13923076577_dd82546a8c.jpg

Holiday World Advert Outside KK by Marcus Dorsey, on Flickr

Well now that I'm home an settled in, I can finally get to doing a TR.

Great TR. You really should have spent some time in SS. A lot of people would argue that Mammoth and Wildebeest are the two best rides on that property.

Here are a couple of questions I saw that were answered on the parks FB page. The second one isn't really important, just something I found interesting.

1.) Season Passes for 2016 go on sale Saturday.

2.) I never realized this, but the park is making a killing on their cabanas. Somebody asked if there were any cabanas available for today and it's a Wednesday and the park responded and said no. So I decided to do a little math just to see how much HW is roughly making off these things. HW has 33 cabanas and they're charging $179 for one. You get a pepsi mini fridge, (which I believe is stocked with water), your own personal space to put your stuff, it provides an area to get shade and relax, and you have the option of having meals delivered to the cabana (that is at a separate charge). Now they're rented out on a Wednesday and I know it's the peak of the season, but it's still mid-week. So I'm going to assume that they rent all of these things out everyday for the last three weeks of July. 33 cabanas at $179 is nearly $6000 in one day. Over a 21 day period, that's just a bit above $124000. Now that is just an assumption, as I don't know if they have or will rent out their cabanas for 21 days in a row. That just gives you a little bit of prospective on how much the park can make off these things and that's just a 3 week period. These things are up for rental whenever the waterpark is open. It's amazing to me how much people will pay for a bit of privacy, but knowing how crowded the park gets at this time of year, I guess it really shouldn't surprise me.

I love Holiday World very dearly, but I do want to point out that they did scatter two of their billboards mere walking distance from different sides of Kentucky Kingdom! There's an extra along the highway near the airport as well.

There are also numerous HW billboards around Bowling Green. I don't think it necessarily has anything to do with competition with other parks (Beech Bend shouldn't be a concern), but more so with targeting heavily populated areas in close proximity to the park (Bowling Green is 1.5 hr from HW and theres about 100,000 people in the area plus a decent amount of tourism).

We have tons of HW billboards here in Nashville. I have only seen a few smaller ones for KK. So I would definitely say their presence is felt much more 2.5 hours South. In fact, I think there are more signs for Beech Bend than KK.

I didn't get to visit last Sunday as I had hoped. Me n' tha fam are gonna put our Club TPR cards to good use there this Friday.

Looking forward to seeing their nighttime fireworks show. It's the last night for them.

There are also numerous HW billboards around Bowling Green. I don't think it necessarily has anything to do with competition with other parks (Beech Bend shouldn't be a concern), but more so with targeting heavily populated areas in close proximity to the park (Bowling Green is 1.5 hr from HW and theres about 100,000 people in the area plus a decent amount of tourism).

I live in the Evansville area and we've always been flooded with HW billboards. Of course HW is actually technically part of the Evansville metro Tristate area and not Louisville's. HW is in Evansville's media market as well.

^ Keep in mind that most posts like that are simply opinion. Everyone experiences coasters differently. I personally don't find The Voyage rough. I prefer to call it aggressive. I think The Boss at SFStL is extremely rough. To the point I would call it unrideable. But there are a lot of people that just think of it as intense, rather than rough.

It surprises me as well about the complaints people have with The Voyage. Until Thunderbird, its always been my favorite and remains my #2 there. But everyone has opinions though! I don't have any worries that Holiday World will do ANYTHING to The Voyage that is not necessary. They have my full faith and trust when it comes to doing whats right for their park, rides, guests, and safety.

I don't have any worries that Holiday World will do ANYTHING to The Voyage that is not necessary.

What's all this I hear about stopping on the mid course?

(Not trying to start an unnecessary discussion that will probably ensue regardless of me saying so.)

It really comes down to personal opinion. I am fine with Voyage and The Boss, but I stay away from anything called Vortex, as well as Maverick at Cedar point (haven't been back since they put the new restraints on; it's probably more rideable now.)

Edited by AirMBTB
It makes me sad to people hating on Voyage and saying its too rough I havnt been on it yet this year but I dont remember it being rough the past two years

The Voyage was too rough for me but that wasn't because the ride was tracking poorly. It was riding as designed and if you liked it before, I'm certain you won't have any problem.

I don't have any worries that Holiday World will do ANYTHING to The Voyage that is not necessary.

What's all this I hear about stopping on the mid course?

(Not trying to start an unnecessary discussion that will probably ensue regardless of me saying so.)

I have NO doubts whatsoever that HW didn't take into account the guests, the rides, the safety, or the park in general when making that decision. I don't think they just randomly decided to do that for no reason. There had to be clear reasons, and they had to be good ones at that. Despite not making a big todo about it, they just don't take changes like that lightly at all. Not their style.

Also, Paula - I've been listening to the Thunderbird Theme Song almost non stop and I still can't tell what the chanters are saying. What are we missing? lol Your driving me crazy here!

Paula must be very satisfied that she has successfully driven enthusiasts insane. She's particularly good at that.

Also, Paula - I've been listening to the Thunderbird Theme Song almost non stop and I still can't tell what the chanters are saying. What are we missing? lol Your driving me crazy here!

Paula must be very satisfied that she has successfully driven enthusiasts insane. She's particularly good at that.

Lol don't I know! At least it's really good music that I ENJOY listening to. Just wish I could download an MP3 of it lol.

Ok so update: I know it's incredibly sad for me to admit to this but I've played back the song at both various slower and faster speeds and can't make heads or tails of it. I'm gonna see if I can't figure out a way to play it in reverse maybe.

Either way, it is entertaining and interesting to listen to how different it sounds at various speeds. You also notice just exactly how much lightning and crashing sounds are in the song too. I mean I always knew it was there of course, but when you slow the song down you can REALLY hear that thunder roar!

EDIT: I bet I'm the laughing stock of the offices there at HW tomorrow, lol.

Ok so update: I know it's incredibly sad for me to admit to this but I've played back the song at both various slower and faster speeds and can't make heads or tails of it. I'm gonna see if I can't figure out a way to play it in reverse maybe.

Either way, it is entertaining and interesting to listen to how different it sounds at various speeds. You also notice just exactly how much lightning and crashing sounds are in the song too. I mean I always knew it was there of course, but when you slow the song down you can REALLY hear that thunder roar!

Did you read what I wrote? It's not saying anything, it's gibberish. Paula was not trying to start a new round of speculation, she was just pointing out that she THOUGHT we would take something as a clue when we didn't.

Did you read what I wrote? It's not saying anything, it's gibberish. Paula was not trying to start a new round of speculation, she was just pointing out that she THOUGHT we would take something as a clue when we didn't.

I DID read what you wrote, but Paula ended with something to the effect of - I'll give you guys one last chance. Then posted the song again....as if she was giving us one last chance to catch something before she spilled the beans.