TPR Home | Parks | Twitter | Facebook | YouTube | Instagram 

Holiday World (HW) Discussion Thread

^Thanks for the reply. I'm very disappointed by that, but I'll reserve final judgment till I ride it at HWN.

I was too, but I've heard that it's not always coming to a dead stop, and most seem to say the experience has been very much different at all, which was a relief for me, though still a shame it won't be totally unrestrained.

I'm really hoping the $ comes through so I can make HWN! At the mercy of my school and their ability to make payments on time, which is not a very strong hope at all

Edited by JJLehto

generators are a requirement from the state of Indiana in order to be certified to have a launch coaster.

Sorry, that's not what she was trying to explain. We're not required to have a Plan B, we just thought it was a good idea. The State requires that all of our rides be inspected and sealed, which they are.

TPR just tweeted this photo outside of Holiday World. It looks so big! Really looking forward to reading everyone's reports tomorrow and finally to see this in person on Saturday.

CDO7FXlWMAAXmOv.jpg

Sorry for the double post, but I love how Hyena Falls has friends now! Before it just was way out there by itself but I feel like now it fits into the layout of the park more cohesively than before. Very good placement on all three rides HW!

It's still extremely out of place, considering it's part of Splashin' Safari and is a good 10 minute walk from the other water park attractions. But like Paula has said, it's all part of HW's plan, so I'm sure within a few years it won't be a problem anymore.

It would make sense to put the Hyenas out by Mammoth - Hyena Springs takes hardly any space, and Hyena Falls could even make for some near miss elements on Thunderbird. If there's more waterpark attractions on the way in the future, then Splashin Safari may be pushing the park's boundary as a whole, but it looks like there's a little space left to the north.

If anything gets added to Thanksgiving it could be added to the front of the section near Fourth of July.

TPR just tweeted this photo outside of Holiday World. It looks so big! Really looking forward to reading everyone's reports tomorrow and finally to see this in person on Saturday.

CDO7FXlWMAAXmOv.jpg

Sorry for the double post, but I love how Hyena Falls has friends now! Before it just was way out there by itself but I feel like now it fits into the layout of the park more cohesively than before. Very good placement on all three rides HW!

It's still extremely out of place, considering it's part of Splashin' Safari and is a good 10 minute walk from the other water park attractions. But like Paula has said, it's all part of HW's plan, so I'm sure within a few years it won't be a problem anymore.

It would make sense to put the Hyenas out by Mammoth - Hyena Springs takes hardly any space, and Hyena Falls could even make for some near miss elements on Thunderbird. If there's more waterpark attractions on the way in the future, then Splashin Safari may be pushing the park's boundary as a whole, but it looks like there's a little space left to the north.

If anything gets added to Thanksgiving it could be added to the front of the section near Fourth of July.

Take away Raging Rapids and that opens a lot of space in the front of Thanksgiving and the back of Fourth of July, and then you can put a new Rapids ride where Pilgrims Plunge used to be, and this opens it up to both the Thanksgiving section and Splashin' Safari.

^I love that Raging Rapids ride actually. I can remember riding it ever since I was a little girl (my cousin and I would have to ride it first thing and then we'd dry off riding Banshee and Raven). It's been a few years but I thight at one time Splashin' Safari was directly behind RR but maybe it's the walkway to Thanksgiving now?? It would be cool if they could have it in Thanksgiving instead and they could say its a Rapids ride to make it feel like you're in the ocean coming to the New World.

CDO7FXlWMAAXmOv.jpg

Take away Raging Rapids and that opens a lot of space in the front of Thanksgiving and the back of Fourth of July, and then you can put a new Rapids ride where Pilgrims Plunge used to be, and this opens it up to both the Thanksgiving section and Splashin' Safari.

This is what I see happening. I've suggested before the removal of raging Rapids and or frightful falls and rebuilding in Thanksgiving. That would open up a lot of space up there in Halloween and 4th of July for new stuff and/or moving the entrance to Thanksgiving.

I don't see any issue with Raging Rapids where it is, but that's just me.

Somewhere down the line, a Mack water coaster would make a pretty fun replacement for Pilgrim's Plunge.

Thanks for explaining, Paula!

I would be curious to know if TTD, Wicked Twister and other launch coasters have generator back-up. I would assume that they would want this as an extra safety precaution in addition to limit/proximity switches and sensors in the event of a power outage during a launch. Does anyone know for sure? To be honest, I have never really looked for these during my rides, but they could very well be there - hidden within buildings.

I would think that there might be a local tie between Cummins and Holiday World given their close proximity to each other - seems to make sense that they would work together to have the gen-sets there - just in case they might ever need them.

I would be curious to know if TTD, Wicked Twister and other launch coasters have generator back-up. I would assume that they would want this as an extra safety precaution in addition to limit/proximity switches and sensors in the event of a power outage during a launch. Does anyone know for sure? To be honest, I have never really looked for these during my rides, but they could very well be there - hidden within buildings.

I would think that there might be a local tie between Cummins and Holiday World given their close proximity to each other - seems to make sense that they would work together to have the gen-sets there - just in case they might ever need them.

I doubt it, none of those would move a train to the launch block until the previous train has passed the point of no return/rollback. And they're equipped with permanent magnet brakes so they'd stop even without power.

I can speak for Wicked at Lagoon. In the most basic of terms, the LSM Stators switch to Brakes in a Power Failure Event. Anytime Loss of Power Occurs, All Brakes Close, Stopping all Motion. Lagoon has Several Cummins Power Generation Gen Sets Installed in various locations around the park that can Power Approximately 1/4 of All Rides on the Park, which include Wicked, Roller Coaster, Wild Mouse, Fire Dragon, Bat, BomBora, Air Race, Jet Star 2, Sky Scraper, Spider, Jumping Dragon, OdySea, Samurai, Rattlesnake Rapids, Several Rides in Kiddieland, and Cannibal once it opens. Lagoon actually has a Con-Gen that was Built in the Early 90's that was Capable of Producing 3 Gigawatts of Electricity. Unfortunately the Co-Gen has not been used in over 16 Years and is Completely Inoperable.

I can speak for Wicked at Lagoon. In the most basic of terms, the LSM Stators switch to Brakes in a Power Failure Event. Anytime Loss of Power Occurs, All Brakes Close, Stopping all Motion. Lagoon has Several Cummins Power Generation Gen Sets Installed in various locations around the park that can Power Approximately 1/4 of All Rides on the Park, which include Wicked, Roller Coaster, Wild Mouse, Fire Dragon, Bat, BomBora, Air Race, Jet Star 2, Sky Scraper, Spider, Jumping Dragon, OdySea, Samurai, Rattlesnake Rapids, Several Rides in Kiddieland, and Cannibal once it opens. Lagoon actually has a Con-Gen that was Built in the Early 90's that was Capable of Producing 3 Gigawatts of Electricity. Unfortunately the Co-Gen has not been used in over 16 Years and is Completely Inoperable.

TTD Does not, but I do not know about Wicked Twister.

I doubt it, none of those would move a train to the launch block until the previous train has passed the point of no return/rollback. And they're equipped with permanent magnet brakes so they'd stop even without power.

Very interesting...thanks for the comments, guys!

I LOVE how Voyage looks now with Thunderbird all around it!!

Nice video update. Look forward to riding Thunderbird. Voyage is my favorite "terrain" coaster and favorite "forest coaster."

A technical question: the new video shows boards in the middle of the track, running parallel to the rails. This looks new from last year and definitely new from a few years ago. Is this to strengthen the track, make it easier for maintenance workers to stand in between the rails to check them, both, neither?

I highly suggest that anyone visiting the park ride Voyage BEFORE riding Thunderbird. It's just awesome peaking the second hill and see that huge, beautiful B&M track sprawling out through the woods. You'll be in awe and it builds the anticipation even more. Also, during a ride on The Voyage we went under a Thunderbird train perfectly as it was coming out of the vertical loop. Just awesome.

Hey guys, I know I asked this before but despite my hopes it does not seem like I can make Holiwood Nights. Bummed, but the finances just aren't there it looks like. So that said, I am forced to go during the worst month: August What can be expected during a late august weekday at the park? Any tips at all that can possibly help? Like a certain day to go or order to do the park?

I highly suggest that anyone visiting the park ride Voyage BEFORE riding Thunderbird. It's just awesome peaking the second hill and see that huge, beautiful B&M track sprawling out through the woods. You'll be in awe and it builds the anticipation even more. Also, during a ride on The Voyage we went under a Thunderbird train perfectly as it was coming out of the vertical loop. Just awesome.

Thanks for the tip. I've been waiting years to ride The Voyage and I can't wait for Holiwood Nights to finally make my first trip to Holiday World. I've been wondering what I should do first when I get there, but this sounds like good advice.

Hey guys, I know I asked this before but despite my hopes it does not seem like I can make Holiwood Nights. Bummed, but the finances just aren't there it looks like. So that said, I am forced to go during the worst month: August What can be expected during a late august weekday at the park? Any tips at all that can possibly help? Like a certain day to go or order to do the park?

Depends on how "late" in August your talking about. Most schools go back in session in the middle of August so if you go at the tail end you will be pretty golden as long as you avoid the weekends. The down side is that because of this it is also somewhere around the time they go to weekend only operation. Check their schedule and see when that happens.

Depends on how "late" in August your talking about. Most schools go back in session in the middle of August so if you go at the tail end you will be pretty golden as long as you avoid the weekends. The down side is that because of this it is also somewhere around the time they go to weekend only operation. Check their schedule and see when that happens.

Yeah it's not looking too good. That is indeed what happens.

One final question, what would a Saturday in Early June look like? Maybe after my CP trip I can swing by. Just really trying to maximize my day there, but I'm thinking I may be unable to avoid huge crowds.

One final question, what would a Saturday in Early June look like?

Nothing too bad, but fairly busy. Lines will be longer in the water park for most of the day, but the lines stay pretty short for the coasters, so it depends on if you are a water park type of person or not. If you aren't, at least ride Mammoth and Wildebeest!