TPR Home | Parks | Twitter | Facebook | YouTube | Instagram 

Holiday World (HW) Discussion Thread

I have a question about having items with you while in line.

Do they have bins on the station where you can put stuff while you ride or have they followed the trend of having pay for fluffy, fluffy bunnies filled with medicine and goo

at the entrance?

They are building shelves in the station, but since they weren't ready Thursday, they temporarily used little crates. They are easy to access before the air gates open, so there's less time wasted between dispatches.

I never have and never will understand the whining about Wild Eagle's restraints. They couldn't possibly be any more comfortable. If they installed cup holders and TV screens I could easily sit in a Wild Eagle train for 3 hours and watch a football game and probably be more comfortable than I'd be in my recliner at home.

I'll start out by saying I have no problem with Skyrush, I305, Maverick, or Bizarro's restraints (I've read complaints about each). BUT the locking restraints on Wild Eagle pulled against my clavicle (collar) bones in such a way that I was completely uncomfortable and out of breath by the end of the ride. They locked down and tightened throughout the ride, and by the end, I can't focus on anything other than the awful restraints. I've heard that Cedar Point, Holiday World, and King's Island have opted for their B&M vest restraints not to lock, but I'm not sure about Dollywood. They sure as hell were locking when I rode in 2012.

I never have and never will understand the whining about Wild Eagle's restraints. They couldn't possibly be any more comfortable.

Tell that to my bruised collar bones.

X-Flight at SFGAM was fine for me, and those vests actually did lock, if I remember correctly. Also, i305 had the best vest restraints ever! They locked, but still felt very cushy.

I never have and never will understand the whining about Wild Eagle's restraints. They couldn't possibly be any more comfortable. If they installed cup holders and TV screens I could easily sit in a Wild Eagle train for 3 hours and watch a football game and probably be more comfortable than I'd be in my recliner at home.

I'll start out by saying I have no problem with Skyrush, I305, Maverick, or Bizarro's restraints (I've read complaints about each). BUT the locking restraints on Wild Eagle pulled against my clavicle (collar) bones in such a way that I was completely uncomfortable and out of breath by the end of the ride. They locked down and tightened throughout the ride, and by the end, I can't focus on anything other than the awful restraints. I've heard that Cedar Point, Holiday World, and King's Island have opted for their B&M vest restraints not to lock, but I'm not sure about Dollywood. They sure as hell were locking when I rode in 2012.

I'll second this, the restraints aren't that bad throughout the course of the ride, but they seem to tighten under the G's of the ride so that by the time you get to the brake run, they've tightened quite a bit. I didn't find them painful, but they were definitely uncomfortably tight by the time the ride pulled back into the station.

Quick comment regarding the Thunderbird vs. Wild Eagle vest restraint. When I rode Wild Eagle a few years ago, the vest did tighten through the ride. This really didn't bother me much, but my partner hated it. Thunderbird's vest, however doesn't do this and is quite comfortable.

^I had the same issue with Gatekeeper's restraints (but not with Wild Eagle's); however, I think that issue was resolved with Cedar Point's ride (so maybe B&M has applied it to the other Wing coasters, too).

^I had the same issue with Gatekeeper's restraints (but not with Wild Eagle's); however, I think that issue was resolved with Cedar Point's ride (so maybe B&M has applied it to the other Wing coasters, too).

Gatekeeper was brutal when we rode it. I rode at the end of that season and they had improved or at least allowed me to breathe while waiting for the train in front of us to unload.

d

I think its safe now, everyone should have watched the show by now. Rayvon has made it into the top 4 on American Idol! He has really improved a TON the past few weeks and the judges even commented that if he keeps going this rate he very well might win! So awesome for him and Holiday World to have an Alum make it this far!

^How did the second half of the Voyage feel? Noticeably slower at all?

It was almost a full brake and I was in the very front so the first triple down hill was dead but the rest felt the same. It was running very well and Legend surprised me with how well it was running

^ it's really not much different. For the most part it just gives you a breather for a few seconds

As far as Thunderbird goes, everything I could possibly say about it has already been said. It is absolutely incredible. I couldn't believe the amount of different forces throughout the ride and the launch was much more forceful than I anticipated. It was about a 10 minute wait all day so I was able to try all different spots (10 rides total) and I have to agree with everyone else, front outside left is the best. However, every different seat provides a new riding experience. The last thing I'll say about it is this... I got on one of the first rides of the day and most, if not all, of the riders were riding it for the first time. By the end of the ride, I don't think I have ever heard so many happy and joyful riders of a roller coaster. Everyone simply loves it.

Leaving the park yesterday, I got to talking to Cathy (Director of Cleaning), and we started talking about Thunderbird, naturally. I asked about the Cummins generator trailers, and she said they are just a back-up and the coaster is running fully from the substation. She said the back-up generators are a requirement from the state of Indiana in order to be certified to have a launch coaster.

Leaving the park yesterday, I got to talking to Cathy (Director of Cleaning), and we started talking about Thunderbird, naturally. I asked about the Cummins generator trailers, and she said they are just a back-up and the coaster is running fully from the substation. She said the back-up generators are a requirement from the state of Indiana in order to be certified to have a launch coaster.

From a couple of people I discussed this with at Media Day, the generators will likely be there all season, but it's unknown about whether they will be there for future seasons.

I am confused about this.

The worst case scenario is that the train will not launch due to no power. Is there something that I am missing?

So I know this is really random, but I was watching the POV of Fury 325 at Carowinds, and I noticed how it is just a coaster in a flat plane with no interaction with anything else except a bridge. This is an issue with a lot of roller coasters, especially ones at the chain parks. These rides are actually really good, but I can't help but imagine how interesting it would be to see a giga like Fury flying through the woods of Holiday World.

I am confused about this.

The worst case scenario is that the train will not launch due to no power. Is there something that I am missing?

Has to be something in Indiana's law about applications that have the chance to brown out the power grid because of a large power draw, and those generators have to be in place in the event it does start to brown out the grid. That's the whole reason why the flywheel system was built is to prevent that from happening, but considering that this is the first launched coaster in the state, its the first time that these weird laws are seen by us.

All I know is, Indiana does have some strange laws and I wouldn't doubt that this is one of them.