TPR Home | Parks | Twitter | Facebook | YouTube | Instagram 

Holiday World (HW) Discussion Thread

^The good thing about long lines in the dry park is that there is justification for new attractions. I think most of the times I have been at HW have been during HWN/SRM. From what I've heard over the years, the dry park side can be kind of desolate, with a crowded water park. It's good to know the dry side isn't desolate

New this year, a themed 5K! It includes ERT!!

I guess the theme park running thing is gaining momentum! It'll be interesting to see how well this works outside the Disney sphere (unless there are other examples that I'm not aware of?)

^^I also think there is some hidden text or message in that picture, too. Look at the back right part of the object and it looks like there is a "T" followed by two letters. Then on the bottom right on the plank of wood there looks to be something, too. Hmm....

Now I don't think this is what is coming but it just hit me what a GREAT addition (themed differently of course) something like this could be for holiday world!

How would you theme it? Santas Sleigh ride?

[youtu_be]

[/youtu_be]

Day 24 came with this picture. It looks like a train wheel for any steel coaster

That looks like an old wagon wheel to me. I don't know what steel coasters you've been riding.

I'm referring to just the "hub" part. It looks like a steel coaster wheel morphed into it

New this year, a themed 5K! It includes ERT!!

I guess the theme park running thing is gaining momentum! It'll be interesting to see how well this works outside the Disney sphere (unless there are other examples that I'm not aware of?)

I've worked two 5K races at Six Flags St. Louis, and they are really a hit! Our Guests really enjoy it.

It references the 1620 Mayflower Voyage. When the Mayflower Compact was signed they referred to Lord King James as the "dread sovereign". In this case "dread" means "full of awe".

Could the name of the new attraction be "The Dread Sovereign" ? Probably way out there but it does sound unusual.

I saw "Speedwell" as a possibility but i don't like that name.

^^^^ I've always thought that having one of those with the main train being composed of those themed to cartoon reindeer with a last car in the back themed as the sleigh would be great. It would offer different experiences and people who might struggle to fit onto the reindeer could ride in the back in the sleigh.

As for 66 Days, I feel like this will be themed to a storm that rocked the Mayflower and interact with The Voyage to signify that. Keeping with the "The [two syllable word]" theme thy have going on, names I would find cool that would work are The Tempest or The Deluge. My manufacturer bets are on RMC or GG and I feel like it will be a looping wooden coaster, possibly taking the wooden inversion record at 4 or 5.

^^ I would rather hope it's not GG. Seeing how even some of the best maintainence groups can't keep up with a behemoth like Voyage, I just don't want yet another coaster turn pretty rough at Holiday World. Don't get me wrong, I still think the Voyage is fantastic, but I just want to see a steel coaster or something in that realm of "smooth-ness" (i.e. RMC as stated above).

It references the 1620 Mayflower Voyage. When the Mayflower Compact was signed they referred to Lord King James as the "dread sovereign". In this case "dread" means "full of awe".

Could the name of the new attraction be "The Dread Sovereign" ? Probably way out there but it does sound unusual.

I saw "Speedwell" as a possibility but i don't like that name.

The Dread Sovereign would be the most badass name for a coaster pretty much... ever.

Not to break the current topic, but I will be taking a trip to Holliday World and Splashin Safari soon. Does anyone have any tips for where to ride on the coasters, ways to avoid the crowd, where to eat, etc.? Thanks in advance!

I'll just give you my typical schedule.

Schedule

9:20 or earlier: Show up to the gate with an advance ticket or your coaster club membership (special discount).

9:30: 2 options... A-Head straight to Splashing Safari and grab a locker if you have a bag for swimsuits, towels, etc.

B-Head straight to The Voyage and get as many laps on that as you can and ride other Thanksgiving rides.

10:25-10:29: Time to head to the water park right before it opens

10:30- A large group of teenagers is going to gun it to Mammoth and Wildebeest. Instead of running, walking briskly with reason to Mammoth or Wildebeest and get as many laps on both before lines start to fill in.

11:00-4:00ish: The slides to do this time totally depend on what you want to ride or haven't ridden at other parks. Zinga (Proslide Tornado), Watubee (Family Raft), Zoombabwe (Enclosed Family Raft), Laughs (Proslide Half Boomerang?) and Bakuli (Behemoth Bowl) typically gather long lines. Personally, I'd say Zoombabwe is the only "do not miss" attraction out of that list. Other slides with less lines (and are actually pretty fun) are Ottorongo, Jungle Racer, and the remaining Hyena Falls slides.

Now there is one infamous slide that I and my group also love to hit every time, but being my age it looks strange going into Kima Bay. Anyways, it's a small green double slide. However, at the bottom, the landing overflows with water, making a fantastic splashdown so big it would make Pilgrim's Plunge look like a joke (maybe I'm exaggerating, but it's much bigger than it should be). If you end up trying it, be sure to leave a report on here

4:00-Close: now is the time to hit Raven and Legend, as well as any other flat in the park. Once you've got your beating taken from those to, finish off your day with The Voyage and call it quits.

Food

There are many places that I like to eat at around here. For lunch, I've heard Wildebeestro is a great place. Sometimes I just want pizza, and get that from Safari Pizza. For dinner, you're probably in the Holiday World side now, so it depends on your preference of food. If you want a family, home style feast, Plymouth Rock is definitely your place. The Alamo is also good for Mexican food. And you probably already know about the free unlimited soft drinks, so there is a bonus. Plus, the prices for food are actually reasonable!

Where to Ride

As with any wood coaster, the front provides a smooth ride, while the back gives great airtime.

Raven- I ride front about 70% of the time. The back gives great air going over the mid-course 60 ft drop though.

Legend- I also typically ride in the front here. The Legend has gotten really rough in recent years and the slight extra airtime in the back is not really worth the beating for the Legend.

Voyage-Back back back. There is some wicked airtime going over the first three hills. I honestly don't think the back as any worse than the front as far as how rough it is.

Hope this all helps!

Not to break the current topic, but I will be taking a trip to Holliday World and Splashin Safari soon. Does anyone have any tips for where to ride on the coasters, ways to avoid the crowd, where to eat, etc.? Thanks in advance!

Koasterking48 gave some great info on everything, especially if you only have one day. I like to spend 2 days there as the water park is that good and can justify a full day. If this is your first time, and crowds are light, I would recommend riding Raven, Legend, and then Voyage. Working your way up to the big coaster, let's you appreciate the smaller ones better.

Couldn't have said it better myself. The only thing I would add is that from about 1pm to about 4 or 5pm, the dry side should be very empty. So if you want to marathon the coasters, that would be the time to do it. Especially Raven and Legend.