TPR Home | Parks | Twitter | Facebook | YouTube | Instagram 

Holiday World (HW) Discussion Thread

Sorry to hear it was running so rough... I rode it in late June, just three weeks ago, and was amazed at how NON-brutal it was compared to CoasterCon three years ago. Could've easily ERT'd it for a few hours with no problems. Rode the third-from-the-back seat (wheel seat) and had no problems there, either.

Voyage is awesome. It goes on, and on, and on, and on and gives you no time to breath. Fantastic ride.

As for it being un-reridable, out of the 3 of us who went I think the other two seemed to find it a bid too aggressive and uncomfortable and one of us was somewhat unimpressed by it.

It's just one of those love or hate rides, I guess.

I'm glad we went out of the way to get to Holiday World, but I was pretty angry that Raven was down. Still don't know why it was down? This was early-mid June. I can't see me going back any time in the vaguely near future. Had it said on their website that Raven was down I'd have probably waited till another trip as we had to drive back to Virginia that night.

Also, why does the park smell like shit in certain places? Especially the tunnels on Voyage?

Hm, that's interesting. I got wafts of it over by Wildebeest too... Kinda made the park look bad. I had assumed there were stables somewhere nearby.

Speaking of Wildebeest, it was awesome, but it's queue needs to die.

Why is only a small section of the queue covered? Parks make a big deal out of H&S on their rides but couldn't care less about people standing in the blistering heat whilst waiting for them. Doesn't help that you can't really have a bag in that queue as there's no where to leave them, so you can't have water with you.

When I go to a park with some friends, I kinda wanna enjoy the rides with them too. Besides, Wildebeest is an awkward ride to single ride on... I don't wanna have my legs spread for some randomer to lay between.

Still, there's no excuse for that queue line being right in the sun with no where to put bags. No excuse what so ever.

Hm, that's interesting. I got wafts of it over by Wildebeest too... Kinda made the park look bad. I had assumed there were stables somewhere nearby.

Speaking of Wildebeest, it was awesome, but it's queue needs to die.

Why is only a small section of the queue covered? Parks make a big deal out of H&S on their rides but couldn't care less about people standing in the blistering heat whilst waiting for them. Doesn't help that you can't really have a bag in that queue as there's no where to leave them, so you can't have water with you.

When I was last there, there was jugs of water int he que for the riders. As for the bags, I had sandles on and they had me just put it by the employee exit.

I thought HW was adding some shade to the second que, but maybe I heard wrong.

Also, post at Holiday World's facebook page about the shade. They will respond to your post (most of the time).

Well, there were no giant umbreallas, water jugs, shelves to put bags or sprinklers when I went in June... so maybe they jumped right on the ball with that one? Good job.

I actually sent them a message about Raven, they told me it wasn't a planned closure... But I heard some enthusiasts the day I was there who seemed to be saying something about them using it's trains for Voyage? Also heard some GP saying what sounded like it had stalled.

But yeah, they are ace at replying on FB. Their customer service is ace for a non-Disney American park. Seems impossible to get ANYTHING out of CF or SF.

It's a quality little park and it seems a shame we had a... kinda bad experience there. It was also the last park of 10 days of parks, it was so blisteringly hot and an 11 hour drive home after, so maybe that didn't help... Free soda rocks. As do violent woodies.

I actually sent them a message about Raven, they told me it wasn't a planned closure... But I heard some enthusiasts the day I was there who seemed to be saying something about them using it's trains for Voyage? Also heard some GP saying what sounded like it had stalled.

The Voyage had three PTC trains. When Holiday World bought two new Timberliner trains, they sold two of the PTC trains. Because Holiday World was reaching the busy part of their season and the Timberliners still weren't ready, they decided to take one of the two trains from The Raven to put on the Voyage. So Raven went from two trains to one and Voyage from one to two to help with capacity. Just clearing things up

Thanks for that! Makes sense, just a bummer we hit the park when they'd closed Raven. Though why it was so unplanned they couldn't put it on the site the night before is beyond me. Oh well.

EDIT: Or maybe it doesn't make sense, since Voyage had two trains when I went, I'm sure? So why was Raven still down? When did putting the train on voyage happen?

1. Though why it was so unplanned they couldn't put it on the site the night before is beyond me. Oh well.

2. Or maybe it doesn't make sense, since Voyage had two trains when I went, I'm sure? So why was Raven still down? When did putting the train on voyage happen?

1. Maybe the problem didn't occur until the morning you came to the park? Holiday World has an excellent maintenance team, and their rides are very rarely down for an entire day. Sorry to hear that an exception happened to occur on the day you were there.

2. The addition of one of the Raven trains onto the Voyage happened pretty early on in the season. If the Voyage was running two trains when you visited, the change had already taken place.

Well, the weather all over the tri-state has been pretty bad this afternoon, and according to Holiday World's twitter, lightning has knocked out the power in the park. So now...they are giving away complimentary tickets.

Yeah. I love Holiday World.

This thread makes me remember why I LOVE Holiday World. They really do care about the patrons and that is amazing.

Voyage = Bliss for me. Yeah - it's crazy, psychotic, a bit rough, and all over the place, but man-oh-man do I find it awesome. I can't really marathon it (4 rides in a row would be about it for me at one time) but that's part of what I like about it.

Paula - thank you ever so much for keeping us up to date on everything and responding in this thread. This is what I meant about Holiday World caring! Can't wait to see you in a couple of weeks with the TPR Middle America tour.

David

So Raven went from two trains to one and Voyage from one to two to help with capacity. Just clearing things up

I wondered why Raven was only running one train when I was there in June. That makes so much more sense now.

As for the Wildebeest queue, it was most definitely a nasty one. Concrete + blistering sun + no shade for half the line = not happy me. That said, once I got on the ride, I forgot about the queue since Wildebeest is just so freakin' awesome.

I loved Holiday World and am quite sad that it's so far away from me. Otherwise, I'd be going there all the time.

EDIT: I also want to say thanks to Holiday World for selling Voyage's PTC trains to Darien Lake. Predator is soooooo much better because of it.

I've ridden rides that are more "aggressive" that the Voyage that aren't as rough. Yes, the Voyage has lots of sudden changes in direction and high g forces, but so do other intense rides such as untrimmed i305, X, and El Toro. However, on The Voyage those tight turns are also just plain old bumpy. There's a definite vibration on The Voyage that just kills my neck, back, and head that the other rides I listed don't have.

• 2 weeks later...

Holiday World has sent us a press release about their latest award for one of their park's newest additions, Wildebeest.

The world's longest water coaster will be named one of "America's Five Best Roller Coasters" during Saturday's "The Early Show" on CBS network.

"Wildebeest instantly became the most popular ride in the park the day it opened back in May," says Matt Eckert, Holiday World & Splashin' Safari's general manager. "We're thrilled that travel expert Peter Greenberg chose Wildebeest as one of his top picks."

One-third of a mile long, Wildebeest begins with a conveyor ride up the water coaster’s lifthill. Following the four-story drop at a 45-degree angle, linear induction motors propel the four-person boats up seven additional hills, through two underground tunnels, and around a helix. Wildebeest covers more than two acres; its top speed is 36 feet per second. Wildebeest’s tallest elevation is 64 feet higher than its lowest drop; the conveyor-style lifthill replaces any slide-tower stairs, making the water coaster accessible to riders who might have difficulty walking up stairs.

CBS Travel Editor Peter Greenberg will announce his choice for "America's Five Best Roller Coasters" tomorrow morning during the 8:00 am EDT (7:00 am CDT) half-hour on "The Early Show."

Holiday World & Splashin' Safari are open daily through August 15 and then select weekends through October 10. For more information, see the park's website at HolidayWorld.com or call 1-877-Go-Family.