TPR Home | Parks | Twitter | Facebook | YouTube | Instagram 

Holiday World (HW) Discussion Thread

I think it's impressive that they managed to reduce the vertical force by 50% (I'm guessing that's without passengers.)

Is the train really that much lighter, or does it just have to do with weight distribution?

Yes, the train is that much lighter. However, weight distribution can slightly effect the smoothness and speed, but only slightly (I'm basing this on my rides on Colossus at SFMM, which I've ridden numerous times with some rides being smoother and a little faster than others).

Interested in owning a piece of Holiday World? Well, here's your big chance!

HOLIDAY WORLD TO AUCTION EQUIPMENT, ANTIQUES

(November 16, 2009) SANTA CLAUS, IN-----Although Holiday World & Splashin' Safari are closed for the season, the parking lot gates will re-open to the public Saturday as the park auctions hundreds of useful, unusual and collectible items.

“A few months ago, I sent out the word for the staff to ‘clean house,’” says park president Will Koch. “Year to year, we ‘retire’ various equipment and other items. We like to think our clutter could easily be someone else’s treasure.”

The list of auction items includes:

Electric Scooters

Two Bumper Boats

Parking lot lights

Professional kitchen equipment

Surplus theming items from The Voyage’s station

Theatrical lighting and sound equipment

Antique double-sided “Red Brand Fence Authorized Dealer” sign

Antique oxen yoke

Antique flat-top trunk (purchased years ago from a traveling circus)

A full list of items is posted here: http://bit.ly/4zPPN3.

The auction is scheduled for Saturday, November 21, at 10:00 am CST at the Lakeside Picnic Shelter, which is adjacent to Holiday World’s “Raven” parking lot. Scott Dixon of Dixon & Dixon Auction Service in Tell City will be the auctioneer.

Visitors to the town of Santa Claus on Saturday will also have the opportunity to enjoy the Santa Claus Christmas Celebration, which runs weekends through Christmas:http://bit.ly/MkdTm.

Holiday World, the world’s first theme park, will open its 64th season on May 1, 2010. Splashin' Safari will open for the season on May 14, with the premiere of Wildebeest, the world’s longest water coaster. For more information, visit www.holidayworld.com or call 1-877-463-2645.

1706051837_antiquesign.jpg.806cb0ab2c3af443a5659faf907aaa3a.jpg

You know that you want this hanging in your living room!

881239561_bumperboats.jpg.3d3b136a022cd0952a8b8e8fe331afdd.jpg

Hey--what do I have to do to put you in the driver's seat of one of these babies now?

• 3 weeks later...

If this has already been discussed, sorry!

Does anyone recall in Feb. of 09 Holiday World released pictures of the construction site of Pilgrims Plunge, and it showed a tunnel? I remember it fairly well and had a few questions about the tunnel.

If the park planned a tunnel, and constructed it, how were they able to just fill over it and put the path straight over it?

where exactly was the tunnel going to be?

Will they ever use the tunnel?

Just a few questions i have been wondering.

-Asa.

1941419534_Picture17.png.9101bf1b302571191c6db50faa17be31.png

Another shot

793954226_Picture16.png.7df562b24875da08fff550cf562fe77a.png

The tunnel, construction.

^RVII was originally slated to have the single-bench PTC, but they decided to switch to the two-bench trains to avoid any potential problems with a ride they had worked to hard to get built.

Also, I'm really looking forward to the new trains. My fat A$$ can barely fit into the PTCs anymore, so if these have more room, I will be one happy person.

Thank god they didn't go with the single bench trains. From what pictures I saw of it, it looked extremely bulky and heavy too...

Those pictures aren't of the proposed tunnel. That is the underground water reservoir.

The original plans called for a tunnel on the turnaround, right before the lift. However, during construction, those plans were ditched (haha, get it?) in order to build up more suspense as the boats approached the elevator (as spaceace12 pointed out).

There was another tunnel involved in the project that is currently in use, which takes guests under the observation deck and the Voyage's lift hill. This tunnel acts as a passage between Pilgrims Plunge and Splashin' Safari, so that riders can enter the flume from both the water park AND Holiday World.

• 5 weeks later...

For all of you "Midwest Nutjob" enthusiasts, or just enthusiasts in general, I have done some 'snooping' on TGG's facebook page, and discovered the answer to the mystery of the nonexistent zero car!

So one dude said:

[...]from an enginering stanpoint.....how the lead car can balance with only one pair of wheels?

And the Gravity Group dude said:

[...]the lead car has two axles. Take a look at the testing video.

So judging by this video, you can pretty much determine that there will be wheels on that little bumper that sticks out of the car...I think.

And yes, I am a dork.

• 2 weeks later...

Holiday World has sent us this new press release regarding their search for members of a new live cover band for the park.

Local auditions for Holiday World’s 2010 cast of entertainers will include the search for four musicians to perform in a “cover band” called The Beachcombers.

“We’re really excited about bringing a family-friendly live band to Splashin’ Safari this season,” says the park’s president, Will Koch. “This four-member cover band will perform favorites from the Beach Boys, Beatles and Jimmy Buffett.”

The 2010 musical entertainment lineup at Holiday World includes the following:

• The Beachcombers: Beach Boys, Beatles and Jimmy Buffett “cover band” in Splashin’ Safari;

• Real Country: Latest hits along with country classics.

• Rejoice!: Contemporary Christian music with worship music and Christian hits.

• Vinyl Daze: A “pop musical” featuring favorites from throughout the years.

• The HoliDazzles: This fun children’s troupe is back with new songs and silliness.

• Holidog & Friends: The park’s mascots include Holidog, Safari Sam and George the Eagle.

Singers, dancers, musicians, actors and technicians interested in applying should prepare a one-page resume listing education, training and experience. Performers must be prepared to sing a ballad and up-tempo song (limit to one minute each) in country, pop or rock style. A piano accompanist and CD player will be provided. All performers are asked to bring dance attire, as a brief dance combination will be taught on site by a staff choreographer.

Holiday World’s auditions will begin at 1:00 pm CST on Sunday, January 31, in the park’s Holiday Theater. The park’s entertainment department will hire 16 singer/dancers, 12 actors, four band musicians, and five stage/sound technicians. Performers and technicians must be at least 16 years old by the start of rehearsals in March to be eligible for hire.

Holiday World’s musical shows are produced by Matt Davenport Productions of Nashville, Tennessee, which will also hold auditions for students at Western Kentucky University, Western Michigan University, Southeast Missouri State University, plus Belmont University in Nashville.

Holiday World’s entertainment staff will also attend the Unified Professional Theater Auditions in Memphis. For more information about auditions, visit the park’s website at HolidayWorld.com/jobs or call 1-877-Go-Family. Holiday World’s 64th season begins May 1; the premiere of the World’s Longest Water Coaster, Wildebeest, is May 14, Splashin’ Safari’s opening day.

• 2 weeks later...

Holiday World has sent out a press release about their exciting award for The Voyage:

One of the nation’s largest newspapers has released its list of the Top 10 Wooden Coasters in the U.S., including two coasters from Holiday World.

The Los Angeles Times named The Voyage the nation’s #1 wooden coaster; The Raven ranked #7. (Link to article: http://bit.ly/9L74A6.)

“We were all smiles when we got the news,” says Holiday World & Splashin’ Safari president Will Koch. “The list includes incredible wooden coasters from all over the country.”

Holiday World was the only park to have two coasters on the list. The list of other parks with a top-ten coaster includes Hersheypark, Dollywood and Six Flags Great Adventure.

The L.A. Times is also conducting an online poll so that readers can vote for their favorite coaster on the list. Currently, The Voyage is leading with 42 percent of the vote (link to poll: http://bit.ly/95UURo).

When The Voyage opens for the season on May 1, it will feel faster and a lot smoother, thanks to a new set of trains, engineered by the same team who designed the record-breaking coaster. The wheels on the new Timberliner trains are engineered to steer through curves as they move along the coaster track, creating a smoother ride and less wear and tear on the track. The seats are ergonomically designed for greater comfort, including an exclusive seat-suspension design. The padded seats will also accommodate wider-hipped and longer-legged riders.

The Voyage is 1.2 miles long and provides a record 24.2 seconds of “air time.” This steel-structure wooden coaster, ranked the #1 Wooden Coaster in the World by Amusement Today for three years running, includes a record five underground tunnels (some are double, creating eight “underground moments”), a series of dramatic drops (including a 66-degree angle of descent on the first drop), three 90-degree banked turns, and multiple track crossovers.

They sent out a press release with the (current) results from an ongoing, non-scientific, internet poll? Odd.

Well yes and no, the award was from the LA Times. They took into consideration many roller coaster enthusiast(s) / experts including Robb (who is credited as choosing El Toro). The poll they mention is like the feedback poll for readers to have a say after their official decisions were already announced.

Sorry if this is redundant, just wanted to make it clear that the award they're talking about was from the LA Times, not their ongoing reader poll.