TPR Home | Parks | Twitter | Facebook | YouTube | Instagram 

Holiday World (HW) Discussion Thread

... think GG is really sticking their neck out by choosing Voyage for the first application. If the ride actually becomes smoother it's a win for them, but if the ride doesn't greatly improve, it could end up costing them quite a bit of money.

I would think that Holiday World is the one sticking their neck out. They are the one paying $540,000 for 2 trains on their #1 attraction. If they improve the ride its a big win for them but if it doesn't it becomes a massive loss. The general public doesn't care about or even know who made the new trains. All they just know is the coaster they were just on was either good or bad.

Just curious, is $540,000 a good price for 2 coaster trains? It seems absolutely ridiculous to me.

^ However, if it doesn't make the ride a lot smoother and you are a park with a rough wooden coaster, are you going to want to toss a half million dollars into something that didn't work the previous time? Holiday world may lose the money, but GG would have wasted time and lots of money on something they can't sell...

^^You are right, it would be a huge loss for GG, however the loss would stop there for them. They can drop the whole train thing and go back to making nothing but GREAT coasters. Holiday Worlds losses will only be just beginning. They stand to lose a lot more than GG.

Take me for example. When I go to Holiday World I not going there to ride Raven (the worlds most over rated coaster) or Legend. I am going for Voyage, the other two are just bonus rides. If the new trains turn Voyage into a Son Of Beast (in terms of ride quality) then I will have no reason to come back until a new coaster is built. From me alone it is at least a $150 loss based on my usual 2 visits per summer and spending habits at the park. Then you have my word of mouth about the new trains. Since Voyage hit the park a few years back my word of mouth advertising for the park has been 100% positive. I talk to my friends, family and strangers at other theme parks about Holiday World and how they really need to get out there and ride Voyage. That would all change.

It would go from...

Have you been to Holiday World?, its a great place with 3 coaster one of which is my favorite... You really need to get out there.

To...

Have you been to Holiday World?, they used to have the greatest coaster I had ever ridden... The park is a nice place though.

Now that's just me and I am one person, multiply that by the thousands that visit the park. What are Holiday Worlds losses now compared to GG?

Not trying to talk down the new trains, I really do hope they improve the ride. I want only good things to happen for both HW and GG.

I just want to throw out there that Holiday World seems to be pretty smart about how they do things. This isn't just a "let's try something crazy and hope it works" kind of a thing. They seem to work pretty closely with The Gravity Group and have a good relationship with them which means everyone is aware of any chances being taken and no one wants anything to not work.

Holiday World is pretty good at doing things that other parks wouldn't do and having them work out.

[inside joke alert]

"They're doing it! They dare! They dare! They're doing it! And what a lot of other theme parks wouldn't dare to to do, Holiday World are daring to do!"

I just want to throw out there that Holiday World seems to be pretty smart about how they do things.

I basically agree with this. However, in Erik's World, Pilgrim's Plunge was the first misstep they've taken. So I am just a little bit worried now. (Golly, how nerdy/lame does that sound??)

I do love Holiday World, though. And I, for one, think the park was well-worth visiting before The Voyage came along.

I just want to throw out there that Holiday World seems to be pretty smart about how they do things.

... Pilgrim's Plunge was the first misstep they've taken.

...the park was well-worth visiting before The Voyage came along.

I agree with everything quoted, just don't think before Voyage the park was worth a re-visit more that once every few years. Free soda and smiles only get you so far.

You'd wanna hope that these trains perform well, coz man are they ever ugly! I'm hoping that the computer renderings just don't do them any justice.

I'm surprised to read so many comments about how rough Voyage is riding. I rode it just after it opened in May 2006 & for me it wasn't rough at all (but hey, I guess it was brand new!) Rode it about 6 times in a row & could've happily continued doing that all day! HW are known for their excellent maintenance records. I'd hate to see this coaster at any other park frankly, or before you'd know it you'd have something like rides like Son of Beast or just about any woodie you care to name in Japan!

Still my favourite coaster!

^Spoken like a true coaster enthusiast. Its a good thing the 1 million+ visitors per year think otherwise!

^Hey now, not THIS coaster enthusiast! Remember, we come with all sorts of varying 'fanboy' attitudes towards different rides, manufacturers, etc.

Me, I could take or leave most B&M's and new Intamin mega's. But to most, they are big shiny and awesome. I rather spend time on a quality ride in a quality place (damn that sounds snotty).

I think the GP doesn't really follow this, unless the ride sucks really really bad, the GP doesn't care. Example. When I went to Kings Island this year, the first time, Son of Beast had a 45 minute wait. The second time I went, it was closer to an hour. I honestly can't explain it, SoB sucked but people flocked to it.

On the HW side of things. I think the water park draws in just as many people as does Voyage. A hot day in the water park means hour wait for most slides. This is the reason the wp is expanding as fast as it is compared to the dry park.

^Spoken like a true coaster enthusiast. Its a good thing the 1 million+ visitors per year think otherwise!

But it was Voyage that got them to the 1 million guests mark.

Even with Voyage, I don't view HW as a must-visit-every-year park. I tend to re-visit places when they add something new. There are too many places that I haven't visited at all yet to be going to the same places over and over.

But it was Voyage that got them to the 1 million guests mark.

Even with Voyage, I don't view HW as a must-visit-every-year park. I tend to re-visit places when they add something new. There are too many places that I haven't visited at all yet to be going to the same places over and over.

I know the new giant ass water coaster will have me coming early May during a school week! One of the best visits to a park...Holiday World with no crowds!

[que classic DE comment]

I've always thought the trains from the Phantom's Revenge would make great wooden coaster vehicles.

[/que classic DE comment]

The trains do look like the PR trains with the restraints and the independent axles. It should be interesting to see how they ride.

Wasn't PTC supposed to have their own version of this kind of train for Ravine Flyer II?

^RVII was originally slated to have the single-bench PTC, but they decided to switch to the two-bench trains to avoid any potential problems with a ride they had worked to hard to get built.

Also, I'm really looking forward to the new trains. My fat ass can barely fit into the PTCs anymore, so if these have more room, I will be one happy person.