TPR Home | Parks | Twitter | Facebook | YouTube | Instagram 

Holiday World (HW) Discussion Thread

Wildebeest looks great! The water-LIM technology is fascinating, I hope to see others like this spring up on the west coast as well!

It seems that HW is ALWAYS adding something and just when you expect to have the year that they add a just kind of "meh" ride, they surprise you with something like Pilgrim's Plunge, or in next year's case Wildebeest. Well done Holiday World!

Can I ask what might seem a strange question?

Did this technology exist before Rollercoaster Tycoon 1 came out in 1999? Because while almost all of the coaster types in it were real, I always thought the waterslide that went up and down was sooo so implausible (water slides going up hills?), but now I'm looking at Wildebeest... it looks exactly like something I would make in RCT1!

So I'm wondering what came first... this technology or the wild imaginations of those making RCT?

wildebeest_aerial.jpg.jpeg.18277d8d5c5147bd2e2deb6a7bb59182.jpeg

19.JPEG.jpeg.1aa3a72927bf0b705710c1e8d52cf95b.jpeg

Did this technology exist before Rollercoaster Tycoon 1 came out in 1999?

So I'm wondering what came first... this technology or the wild imaginations of those making RCT?

The first slide to go up hill opened in 1994 (Dragon Blaster at Schlitterbahn New Braunfels, TX), the method used is different, but I'm sure RCT1 is based off the watercoaster model. Water coasters use water as propulsion as opposed to the ProSlide Rockets which use LIMs such as Wildebeast.

When I went Typhoon Lagoon, one of the crush'n gushers couldn't have 3 man tubes because it wouldn't fit round the sharp corners, could wildbeast be in the same situation? If they can only have 2 man slides the queue would go along very slowly!

• 2 weeks later...

^^That shouldn't be a problem. This ride will use completely different technology from a completely different company.

SFKK's HydroMagnetic Rocket is amazing, and I'm sure this will be, too!

• 1 month later...

Following the reoccurring theme of being featured in documentaries Holiday World's Wildebeest construction/lift hill topping will be featured on a national geographic special...

http://holidayworld.com/node/3070

Voyage & Pilgrims Plunge were highlighted in different episodes of a series for the travel channel. Now it's Wildebeest's time, although it sounds as if it will feature construction footage not necessarily footage of the water coaster in action.

This looks amazing, thanks for posting Dave and TG. I remember telling Elissa that I may be in the minority for looking forward to this most if making it on Middle America.

I loved Typhoon so much (yes even after breaking it) that I wanted to one day head south to try out Deluge after hearing so many good things about it. This will be the next best if not the best thing! This should be cool since it won’t have those conveyer belts to lift up some ‘questionable’ weight up the hills lol

Robb, after hearing what you sounded like shooting out of the Patriot slides, we need to mic and strap a water proof camera on you going down this thing .

The construction of Wildebeest will be featured on a show on the National Geographic Channel.

SANTA CLAUS, IN-----When construction crews for the Wildebeest water coaster hoist a huge piece of rounded fiberglass four stories in the air to “top the lifthill” in a few weeks, a crew from the National Geographic Channel will be on hand to capture the moment.

“We just got word that Wildebeest construction will be the focus of a one-hour episode of the show World’s Toughest Fixes,” says Holiday World’s president, Will Koch. “We’ve been talking to their producers for two months and it’s tremendously exciting to get the thumbs up.”

World’s Toughest Fixes is a host-driven show, with “engineering enthusiast” professional rigger Sean Riley taking part in the task at hand. While on location at Holiday World, Riley will help top Wildebeest’s lifthill and also place the final piece of the water coaster’s fiberglass.

"We’re told Riley is game for just about anything, especially at great heights,” says Koch. “We’re talking about sending him to the top of The Voyage’s 163-foot lifthill and the summit of Pilgrims Plunge’s 135-foot elevator tower.” The host will return to Holiday World in the spring to ride Wildebeest, the world's longest water coaster. The episode is scheduled to air in June.

Go to the Holiday World site for the original press release.