TPR Home | Parks | Twitter | Facebook | YouTube | Instagram 

Holiday World (HW) Discussion Thread

^ No, I know the tilting version is new for Intamin, I was just saying that I was pretty sure they had done a vertical lift on a water ride before, so while this is a new take on it, it's not entirely new for Intamin to use an elevator lift system....like the Ferris Wheel lift, which is what my original post was in response too.

--Robb

Personally, I think it looks amazing, and would love to ride it when it opens, the fact that it's an Intamin concerns me - it's gonna break down a LOT.

Not to mention that they don't exactly have the best track record when it comes to safety, and, as much as I want to think that there's no way the boat could possibly fall off the elevator system ("It has special safety features!", "They would never release a product that could malfunction that badly!", "You just don't understand their engineering!"), it really wouldn't surprise me if, somehow someway, it actually happened. It might be 1 in a million, but say the kicker-wheels or whatever pushed the boat forward while climbing the tower?

Hey, a little girl just had her feet cut off on a drop-tower, there's always some convoluted, "impossible" chain of events that could happen that is overlooked during testing.

That said, I'd be more than willing to take the chance - that thing looks bad ass!

That or I would like to see an over 90 degrees water ride, that would be sweet! And I can see that happening in the future. Especially with Intamins rides already, they have like 80 degree drops and there coasters have over 90, it all adds up to one super water ride with an over 90 degree drop! Can't wait for that!

OK, let's put down the bong and think for a minute...

In order to go past 90deg, the vehicle must be attached to a track like a coaster. OK, no problem.

You mean that there are some water rides that have drops but no upstop wheels?

I love the elgant design of the elevator lift. The only thing I don't like is the drop... when they straighten out like that, you don't get a lot of airtime. But I'm excited. My sister goes to college about an hour away from Holiday World. This should take up some of that barren farmland sitting in front of Voyage.

This ride is going to be a great addition to Holiday World, all the more reason to renew my pass. I'm only 15 minutes from SFKK, and a hour from HW, but I would rather visit HW.

Holiday World has so much to offer, for so little, it's very economic now days'.

That looks spectacular! I love the elevator lift.

But there doesn't really seem to be much to it, I'm sure this attraction will be pretty forgettable to the general public. And the name is kind of lame.

I'd much rather go on something like Jurassic Park or Escape From Pompeii, but I do realize that Universal and Busch are in a totally different park category than Holiday World.

I'm sure this attraction will be pretty forgettable to the general public.

If anything, you may have that statement backwards. Seriously, when have you not seen the general public interested in a splashdown boat ride....especially during the summer months? Water is the simplest form of a general public magnet.

In general, I don't care much for these types of rides, but this one (especially since you can enter from the water park) grabs my interest. I only hope Holiday World doesn't catch that " World's disease" their neighbors in Ohio have. Being a world record will help build publicity, which can't hurt the park any, but I hope world records aren't continually sought after in later projects.

[

Seriously, when have you not seen the general public interested in a splashdown boat ride....especially during the summer months? Water is the simplest form of a general public magnet.

I'm sure the general public will be interested in it while at the park, and definitley want ride it while at the park, but do you really think they are going to run home and talk about it to their friends and family?

If people still line up for 45 minutes or more to ride, rides like tidal wave at SFMM, then this monster that HW is building will have no problem packing people in line for many many years to come.

It's not always about AIRTIME! This drop is still going to be very thrilling with that grab your gut feeling, while also still being ALL AGE friendly. I love the uniqueness of this ride the lift/tower looks wild and very unstable, the tilting platforms, the huge drop and wave of water great job IMO Holiday World. Also HW is still adding to this ride like the tunnel, bridge, squirting turkeys, maybe no squirting turkeys but wait until the ride is open and ride it before you complain about the drop sucking or no themeing.

Intamin Intamin Intamin they never fail to impress... look at the sexy legs on that #$%@& may not have the best reputation but IMO has the best rides.

Hmmmm do I smell a small airtime filled steel Intamin beauty comming HW way in the near future? whispers mega-lite in Paula's ear

That is going to be totally crazy!!

I bet'cha that the lift will have many malfunctions.

Looking at the animation, it looks like the lift has a conveyor on it that moves the boat foward onto the plunge.

If that conveyor malfunctions while the lift is inoperation, I wonder what safety mechanism is in place to keep the boat from getting shot off that lift.

It will probably work similarly to the way S.W.A.T. did in that the platform itself has a plug (to put it simply) that connects when it is at the base to get power, and as it rises, it simply unplugs itself giving the platform itself no power (and turning the brakes into stationary closed brakes).

When it gets to the top, it would plug in to the stationary plug it has on top to provide power. This way it will have power when at base, and at top, and no other time throughout operation.

I'm sure the general public will be interested in it while at the park, and definitley want ride it while at the park, but do you really think they are going to run home and talk about it to their friends and family?

Umm...YEAH!

The ride was announced on Tuesday, and by Thursday morning, some of my friends that haven't even been to Holiday World were telling me how amazing the ride looked, and that they couldn't wait to ride it next summer!

But you are right about the name being lame. They probably should have went with "Big-elevator-thingy-that-drops-into-a-pool-and-gets-you-wet!" Now THAT would be an award winner!