TPR Home | Parks | Twitter | Facebook | YouTube | Instagram 

Holiday World (HW) Discussion Thread

It said "Other additions include more shade structures in Splashin' Safari plus improvements to the Legend Parking Lot, including an access road and traffic signal at the junction of State Roads 162 and 245 to the east of the park."

Woops! Missed that. Thanks for pointing that out. Makes more sense now

For some reason, these non-curving drops seem to give more of that feeling of losing your stomach than parabolic drops. I think that it will be very thrilling, even at only 45 degrees. The lift will definitely be the most intimidating part, though.

The technical drawing of the boats make them look to be Maverick-esque type of restraints (or Kingda Ka, Stormrunner, etc...)

The HoliWatch investment is $1 million according to the newsletter they emailed today.

I also think the lift is a single-looped chain (or cable) that just reverses direction on each cycle. That's probably how the boats miss each other and how evacs work too. Sure, it could still break, but it looks pretty simple. The animation makes it look like a chain, so I'm going with that.

I'm excited to see where the tunnel, water cannons and guest splash area are going to be.

I think everybody is being a bit critical about the drop, just wanted to point out a couple of things:

Most shoot the chutes rides dont get anywhere NEAR 45 degrees.

Colossus, at SFMM, has a first drop of 43 degrees, and it is still a wonderful drop. I think 45 degrees will be just fine, considering the height.

I think a longer drop at 45 degrees will actually be a bit more thrilling than a shorter, steeper drop. I know Perilous Plunge is very 'OMFG thats steep' but its over before you know it. I think this drop will add a lot more anxiety toward that inevitable splash at the bottom.

If you have ever hiked half dome in yosemite, which reaches about 48 degrees, you would have to agree that the 45 degree neighborhood is quite steep!

Anyway, theres my 2 cents:)

Looks like a great ride, but ... Pilgrim's Plunge?! What kind of name is that?

LOL I agree the name a bit to be desired Although it does conjure up some amusing mental images of Pilgrims divebombing down falls in their boat. Hopefully everyone will be forced to wear bonnets and pilgrim hats.

Looks ok to me................

Apart from the record breaking drop it's got nothing. Kind of like Oblivion really, good at 1 thing and 1 thing only.

Uhm, that's like saying Perlious Plunge or Hydro don't have anything going for them except their drop. It's true, but those rides are all about their drop, the splash, and how wet you end up getting. That's what a giant boat drop ride iss upposed to be.

Apart from the record breaking drop it's got nothing. Kind of like Oblivion really, good at 1 thing and 1 thing only.

Uhm, that's like saying Perlious Plunge or Hydro don't have anything going for them except their drop. It's true, but those rides are all about their drop, the splash, and how wet you end up getting. That's what a giant boat drop ride iss upposed to be.

I've never ridden either of those so can't comment. If there was a huge queue, would it be worth waiting for them?

Nucking Futs, really. It's an interesting concept, and looks -way cool- really if you consider that the lift is 'exposed' as it is; but the drop leaves something to be desired- Perhaps at least 15 degrees more angle?

That said, Way to go HW for an innovative new ride!

My final guess is the world's tallest Giant Flume ride with a vertical (elevator) lift, named Pilgrim's Plunge. All hints just lead towards it...

What do I win?

But yeah, I think this looks FREAKING INSANE! Needless to say, if they need volunteers for the commercial, you better believe I will be there!

Also, because of the location, I don't see how the ride is also accessible from SS... It looks to be nowhere near the waterpark!

The lap bar doesn't technically seem like a new idea. It seems to me like they took the Accelerator coaster restraints and took off the padding around the shoulder area. Its just the lap bar section of the restraint. I like this new idea and with its 2 sided lift system, added with being the worlds tallest I think this is a great investment to keep great rides at Holiday World.

I've never ridden either of those so can't comment. If there was a huge queue, would it be worth waiting for them?

Well from riding Periloud Plunge I can tell you that it's an AMAZING ride. That drop is absolutely insane and you end it looking like a drowned cat.

I can see myself wiating in a long line for it on a hot summer day, event hough its jsut a lift, a turn, a drop, and another turn.

This looks great. Shoot-the-Chutes aren't supposed to be about much more than their one big drop - so it's cool to see Intamin, as always, being innovative and creating a thrilling new twist on an old classic.

From the animations it looks like there aren't OTSRs, and at 45 degrees it's hardly needed. (Of course the old Intamin lap bars are perfectly safe when used properly by parks and their guests.)

I wish they made it to have one of those "double dips" in there drops. That would be very fun!

That or I would like to see an over 90 degrees water ride, that would be sweet! And I can see that happening in the future. Especially with Intamins rides already, they have like 80 degree drops and there coasters have over 90, it all adds up to one super water ride with an over 90 degree drop! Can't wait for that!

Looks like a nice addition to the park...although...it looks very unsupported. Seriously, it looks like it might need some more supports or the thing will fall over from a heavy wind. This definitely looks like a great ride but it still doesn't give me the urge to run there next year. Maybe when and if they get a new coaster I might take another trek back there.

Jimmy "WTF is up with that lift?" Bo