TPR Home | Parks | Twitter | Facebook | YouTube | Instagram 

Holiday World (HW) Discussion Thread

Ok, I am totally on board with RatDogs's idea.... I had thought it strange that they were no longer using that indoor theater, and that would be a perfect place to add a carousel. I am always looking for clues in Paula's blog though.... She's a punster that one!

What stood out to me was the

"let it slip"

"leak out"

and "tip our hand"

Hmmmm.......

I didn't realize they weren't using the indoor theatre, A double decker carasuel would be cool, but the thing is, the entrance area where the theatre is located is open before the park opens, and they have ropes up to keep everyone away from all the rides. Who knows, but chritmas does need more stuff. Also, keep in mind, the wood workers are being moved, so that opens up space behind the raven and teh dive show also. I am not sure if there is more shps in that area though.

Who cares about the announcement? The real mystery is how many feet of re-tracking is Voyage going to need this year. I think it was 1100 feet last year. I'm going to go with ~2,000 feet this year.

Anyone want to get a pool going?

Elissa mentioned that Will or Pat said it was around 2500 feet [number could be high but it was well over 2000], and they're none too pleased about it.

^ Because they wanted a EXTREME machine. GCII isn't known for really pushing the envelope to an insane degree like the GG gang and that isn't necessarily a bad thing. If Beech Bend or Powerpark installed a GG coaster that exerted the forces of Voyage, then it wouldn't be a top tier ride for very long.

Will knew what was getting into when he built The Voyage. He already owns two coasters that require a lot of maintenance and upkeep and with 3 7 car trains, you can't tell me that expected anything better from Voyage.

Over time, the ride will probably be modified a little bit here and there as they will get a better idea of where the "trouble" spots are. Be thankful though, because at most other parks ... it would be handled much differently.

^I can tell you where the trouble spots are. There are two of them. The first one is the inversely banked hills (mainly the first one). They give quite a nasty jolt to the knees. The other problem spot (and IMO the worst part of the ride) is the area before and after the third and final overbank. The turning back and forth is unnecessary and painful.

If they fixed those two, they would be good to go.

"I honestly don't know why they didn't go with Clair and his gang -- they haven't made a dud since Gwazi!"

And they haven't made a truly great coaster since, let's see, ummm....ever?

To be honest, GCI rides are fun, but they are not super thrilling or filled with airtime. Fun, but not epic like Voyage. And Gwazi wasn't a dud, BGA just has no idea how to take care of the damn thing.

^ Because they wanted a EXTREME machine. GCII isn't known for really pushing the envelope to an insane degree like the GG gang and that isn't necessarily a bad thing. If Beech Bend or Powerpark installed a GG coaster that exerted the forces of Voyage, then it wouldn't be a top tier ride for very long.

Will knew what was getting into when he built The Voyage. He already owns two coasters that require a lot of maintenance and upkeep and with 3 7 car trains, you can't tell me that expected anything better from Voyage.

Over time, the ride will probably be modified a little bit here and there as they will get a better idea of where the "trouble" spots are. Be thankful though, because at most other parks ... it would be handled much differently.

I dunno Ted. I'm not sure that I can be thankful for them ruining my favorite part of the ride with the trims. As a result, Voyage quickly fell out of my top 10 this year.

They should have gone with Intamin. A higher upfront investment would be worth it for less long term problems.

And they haven't made a truly great coaster since, let's see, ummm....ever?

To be honest, GCI rides are fun, but they are not super thrilling or filled with airtime. Fun, but not epic like Voyage.

Ahh, but that is in the eye of the beholder. To me, rerideability is a key factor in whether or not the coaster is good or a dud. To be quite honest I skipped Voyage last time I was there because it is not fun. It is way too aggressive and throws out my back everytime I ride it. I despise the numerous potholes -- especially THE POTHOLE -- as they are just painful. Now with the trim brake before the best part of the ride, why even queue up for it? I would much rather ride Raven -- which is still the best woodie at that park.

As for GCII not being thrilling -- have you not experienced the BAM-BAM on OzCat? If you haven't then you have no room to talk. If you have then WTF are talking about GCII not being thrilling.

Being able to ride over and over again = good

Being able to ride once and then question your sanity on riding again = bad

I dunno Ted. I'm not sure that I can be thankful for them ruining my favorite part of the ride with the trims.

At most other parks, the first half would trimmed so bad that the coaster would need a second lift hill to just make it onto the MCBR.

I am not happy about the trim brake either, but for now it is a quick fix. Hopefully they find a way to fix the area by the on-ride photo so that they can let this thing roll right on through again.

At most other parks, the first half would trimmed so bad that the coaster would need a second lift hill to just make it onto the MCBR.

I am not happy about the trim brake either, but for now it is a quick fix. Hopefully they find a way to fix the area by the on-ride photo so that they can let this thing roll right on through again.

Yeah, I hope they can restore it to how it ran last year. It's way too early to neutering the ride already. The spot after the triple down used to be amazing, but now you're chugging along trying to regain speed.

The bakuli cam has been pointing towards the woods to the left of the tower when facing the dry park. Also, there is a nice empty field that the camera (near bahari wave) that the camera has been pointing at, but that might be because of bahari, but the wood position was zoomed in all the way towards teh woods with no voyage init. 2 more days.

You missed one ...

...a big old, well-aiming bird pooped a massive, multi-colored discharge on the lens of the SplashCam mid-afternoon.

As gross as it was, you gotta admire the pluck of that boid. (The Raven is jealous, perhaps?)

Luckily, we got it sprayed off in under an hour and it looks fine again.

I love my job.

Paula

I know a lot of people will probably be disappointed at this announcement, but I am thrilled. I love their waterpark area and have found that it tends to be the most crowded part of the park on our visits. I think this will just allow more room for everyone to spread out. I was hoping for a carousel, though.....

Shari