TPR Home | Parks | Twitter | Facebook | YouTube | Instagram 

Holiday World (HW) Discussion Thread

I think if you are going fast enough on any turn on a waterslide you can hit 90* as long as you have the overbank section on it, my girlfriend and I did that on a few of the slides there last weekend. I really liked the park and I'm glad they are getting a few new rides as I have an escuse to have a road trip next semester too now.

Awesome, the last CANDYbowl I visited only had a flush button and didn't spit you out at the bottom afterwards!

I haven't done a real CANDYbowl ride in years so I might have to give Splashin' Safari a whirl if I can make it out in 2007, they've got a lot of cool stuff there.

I wasn't either, I was more or less referring to the response and the attitute among enthusiasts. I hold nothing against Holiday World, the Tilt A Whirl, or Turkeys in this case

- Joe

Quite candidly, it can really get on our nerves, too. I'm sorry, but being put that high up on a pedestal just makes me dizzy!

When we're told, "I said to so-and-so, the GM at such-and-such, that they should be more like Holiday World..." we just cringe. I even told one enthusiast to quit calling Will a genius -- it's embarrassing!

I think it will please you to know that at the conclusion of the second night of HoliWood Nights (following many, many kind comments from attendees) Will turned to me and said, "I think I've had about all the love I can take."

Regarding the tilt ... it's new, Sellner is designing it as we speak and they hope to have a car at IAAPA. The old tilt was removed to make way for the Thanksgiving walkway.

And regarding Bakuli, it grosses me out that it's being referred to as a nasty old toilet. It's a bowl ... a candy bowl, a cereal bowl, a mixing bowl, a vegetable bowl, even a fruit bowl. Okay?

Thanks, Paula

Paula, I can understand how you must feel. I've been going to this park for years (Ever since Raven opened) and am simply amazed at the growth in this time period. I don't know how you manage to keep the atmosphere of a small park when in my book HW is fastly becoming one of the major themeparks in the midwest. Even some of my non-coaster loving friends have even heard of it on television and have been asking me about it. I do agree you should pass the word along for a nice carousel I'm sure many people would say build a steel coaster, blah blah blah, but with the family atmosphere of the park, I think a carousel would be great. I am not a "fanboy" but I regard myself as a fan of the park, and it warrants at least a visit per season from my friends and I.

-James "Can't wait to ride the Turkeywhirl!" Dillaman

• 4 weeks later...

This just in from Holiday World:

SANTA CLAUS, IN-----For the first time in its 60-year history, Holiday World today exceeded one-million visitors in a single season.

“It took us till the final day of the season, but we did it!” says park president Will Koch. “This is quite a milestone. We’re very grateful to all the families who came to visit this season.”

With a final count of 1,005,000 Guests, this is the first year Holiday World & Splashin' Safari ended the season with attendance figures topping the one-million mark. Koch credits the season’s 15-percent growth to the addition of The Voyage roller coaster along with continued concentration on cleanliness and friendliness.

“So much of the credit goes to the incredible service and hospitality provided by our outstanding Hosts and Hostesses,” Koch says. “It doesn’t matter how great your rides are if the employees are rude and the bathrooms are filthy. We are very appreciative of our hard-working staff.”

In August, Holiday World & Splashin' Safari were awarded four coveted “Golden Ticket Awards” from Amusement Today magazine. The publication’s readers, who are well-traveled park enthusiasts from around the world, voted the southern Indiana parks the world’s #1 Friendliest and #1 Cleanest again this year. The “Best New Ride” award went to The Voyage, which was also ranked the #2 Wooden Coaster, and the “Best New WaterPark Ride” designation was given to the new Bahari River in Splashin' Safari.

Koch says the parks’ strong growth pattern should continue next year with the addition of Bakuli family water slide and Turkey Whirl, a new themed tilt-a-whirl. The $4.5 million expansion is expected to increase attendance by another five percent and create an additional 50 seasonal jobs in 2007.

Holiday World, the world’s first theme park, will open its 61st season on May 5, 2007. For more information about the parks’ news rides plus discounts for 2007 Season Passes, visit www.holidayworld.com or call 1-877-Go-Family.

“So much of the credit goes to the incredible service and hospitality provided by our outstanding Hosts and Hostesses,” Koch says. “It doesn’t matter how great your rides are if the employees are rude and the bathrooms are filthy. We are very appreciative of our hard-working staff.”

Isn't that the truth. *Looking right at you SFMM*

Anyways, congratulations to the management at HW on meeting thier goals. They have a better attendance then some CF and SF parks.

Note: Please spell check your posts. The Google toolbar has a GREAT spell checker tool for forums.

Woohoo! It's good to hear this park is on the other end of the equation from all the Six Flags parks that are stuggling to keep afloat. I really like that this park is expanding so much. I like that it's still keeping the family feel and its going in the right direction for the amusement industry. Holiday World is sure to set an example for the rest of the parks around the world.

News Flash!

If you build them, they will come! And by "them", I mean good rollercoasters. They have three now, just think what would happen if they put more in. For that matter, more rides of all types. When I went this year for the first and only time, I was disappointed in the lack of rides. But by more people arriving, the harder it will be to keep their precious neatness award.

Maybe I have been hanging around with canobifan too long