TPR Home | Parks | Twitter | Facebook | YouTube | Instagram 

Holiday World (HW) Discussion Thread

13 hours ago, anonymouscactus said:

So.... why haven't I heard a peep about cheetah chase since it opened? This ride is hilarious. It is absolutely unbelievable how much water gets poured / shot over you at the top of the hills (imagine those giant buckets on those play areas but falling on you during a water coaster. 

I got to ride it twice in a row (to ensure the last raft got to race) and the first time I was NOT expecting a deluge of water to literally engulf me!  I could barely see the entire course from all the water lol.  I guess it's restrictive because it is actually water doing the work vs LSM.

13 hours ago, anonymouscactus said:

With the popularity of Holiwood Nights I would guess ERT waits to be comparable or longer to regular season days. Since the park doesn't have any skip the line features, the only REALLY advantages to the event are hanging out with other enthusiasts, getting more night rides in, and taking in the theming of the event. ERT isn't really ERT anymore, lol. I can't believe how many people were there, but not having the Voyage the first night also hurt lines the second day.

Voyage had a very long line while the other two coasters were virtual walk ons lol.  I honestly loved their coasters in the dark because it was literally dark!  I didn't find a big difference between trimless voyage and trimmed voyage but im fat so lol.  Do they still make wooden coasters like those 3?

On 5/28/2021 at 7:58 AM, ytterbiumanalyst said:

Forget throwing a guitar off the ride, judging by the musical style, it seems he got to ride Voyage in 2003!

Reminds me of an over-the-top pro hockey game intro song from that era. It wasn't good enough to make the radio, but the franchise could buy the copyright for pennies on the dollar and play it in front of crowds consisting dads and college kids four pregame Bud Light beers deep. Synched with highlights of your team "crushing" other teams into the boards it would definitely pass for 'ok.' 

That guitar toss though... That's a perfect reminder of why we have loose article policies. That definitely wouldn't happen on Steel Vengeance.

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

On 6/5/2021 at 6:58 PM, Djwadeknox said:

Here is the news story about her death. I was at the park last night for the event and Holiday World did everything they could. They opened extra rides to help makeup for the closed coaster. Top notch service.    https://www.tristatehomepage.com/news/local-news/holiday-world-guest-unresponsive-after-riding-roller-coaster/

So she dies of a heart attack and they show pictures of Holiday World's food in the video... That didn't seem well thought out...

15 hours ago, anonymouscactus said:

So.... why haven't I heard a peep about cheetah chase since it opened? This ride is hilarious. It is absolutely unbelievable how much water gets poured / shot over you at the top of the hills (imagine those giant buckets on those play areas but falling on you during a water coaster. Absolutely bonkers.) Love it. Just wish they weren't so restrictive on the # of people and weight of the boats, luckily had some friends and we're able to even ourselves out and ride, but with myself and my wife we couldn't get the green light. I love how all 3 water coasters were vastly different. Mammoth in the dark was insane.

With the popularity of Holiwood Nights I would guess ERT waits to be comparable or longer to regular season days. Since the park doesn't have any skip the line features, the only REALLY advantages to the event are hanging out with other enthusiasts, getting more night rides in, and taking in the theming of the event. ERT isn't really ERT anymore, lol. I can't believe how many people were there, but not having the Voyage the first night also hurt lines the second day. Completely understandable though. Very sadb what happened. I only got one ride on Voyage but the line for Legend and Raven was relatively short. My sides can't take the legend like it used to. The is still one little part near the end of Raven that gives a good jolt to the head but I still think the ride is absolutely awesome and I love that one hill in the middle of the ride as it launches you out of your seat in the back 

Good times! I need new feet, man that park is rough on the body lol. I don't know if I would have been able to make the walk back to Thunderbird.

We rode CC last summer when it's debut was muted by the virus that shall not be named and I had no idea that deluge of water was coming. First time in a very long while that I have had a true surprise on a ride.

36 minutes ago, ytterbiumanalyst said:

Really seems like they just pulled a stock B roll of the park. They probably use that exact footage for any story they do about HW.

They do that all the time for local stories on SFSTL, have used some footage showing Superman a few times this year even though it is not every running again.

• Like 1

On 6/8/2021 at 11:54 AM, jarmor said:

Do they still make wooden coasters like those 3?

Not as of recent. GCI seems to be scooping up the big wood coaster market the most as of late, but they don't quite compare to the intensity of these three "box on wheels" rides. (Seriously, a hard double helix with nearly NO banking??)

Cheetah Chase is such an awesome water coaster with insane amount of soakage, though as mentioned above, a bit more tricky to get on compared to the other bigger water coasters. No single-riders, finicky min/max weight restrictions, and seemingly lower relative capacity. Absolutely worth doing though.

10 hours ago, Midgetman82 said:

Not as of recent. CCI seems to be scooping up the big wood coaster market the most as of late, but they don't quite compare to the intensity of these three "box on wheels" rides. (Seriously, a hard double helix with nearly NO banking??)

NO banking in that helix is the main feature that makes Legend the favorite of many of us.

And... the Holiday World PTC trains have twisting back axles.  So does Ravine Flyer, etc..

What may seem like a deficiency in the "twisting" department, is an asset in another.  In other words, they are fun roller coasters that provide kick, great laterals and air time (Phoenix, etc.)  I would say the Holiday World woodies run better than any other wood coasters, especially for what they do.  The GCI coasters lack a certain feel; this is probably more popular if you like B&M, RMC, etc.  GCI designs rides that are more of what I call "modern woodies," great for corporate parks and patrons. 

Personally, I prefer more classic types.  Good example: Legend - my favorite at Holiday World.  Plenty of people love it while others (perhaps more inclined to B&M, RMC and GCI) don't care for it.  I'll take true laterals; it's a taste that everyone doesn't share.  And good thing - it would stink if we all liked the same things.

(Please don't take any of this as an "I hate GCI, etc." comment.  I like those too!  Just rode Ghost Rider and love it; but loved it more in 1999 with the original PTC trains and profile.)

• Like 1

With modern coasters built in recent years with wild but very controlled experiences, elements like Legend's unbanked helix feel almost illegal! I love a great airtime filled RMC any day of the week, but hardly anything matches how out of control any of Holiday World's wood coasters feel. 

And I don't hate them. PTC's are more comfortable on me than Millennium Flyers because of the restraint style, and Gravity Group's wood coasters rank higher on my list than GCI's (they give WAY more intense rides and better airtime).

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Midgetman82 said:

And I don't hate them. PTC's are more comfortable on me than Millennium Flyers because of the restraint style, and Gravity Group's wood coasters rank higher on my list than GCI's (they give WAY more intense rides and better airtime).

Oh yeah, big time!  I'll take a little room to move over being pinned in.  Unfortunately for me, I just haven't acclimated to the RMC style seats/restraints well (and to a much less degree, GCI).  My lower half needs to be able to move at least a little.  So grateful we have these woodies at HW, and that they take such great care of them.

Millennium Flyer restraints dig into my lap enough to staple my actual hip bone mid-ride, so some rides on some of their coasters genuinely hurt at times when they come down an extra click from g-forces. PTC's punch against my belly, but I can take that over the heavier, bulky lap bars.

RMC's are more comfortable than both, though, because of my body shape.

Holiday World's woodies are definitely from another time. This weekend all 3 were TEARING UP THE TRACKS in the best way possible and absolutely hauling. Aggressive, forceful, possible bruising... only Holiday World could maintain those 3 as well as they do.

Newer woodies are still fun but they might as well be steel coasters. HW's trio are classics that really show what you can do if you push the limits with old wood design. 

• Like 3
  • Thanks 1

1 hour ago, i305isdaddy said:

Holiday World's woodies are definitely from another time. This weekend all 3 were TEARING UP THE TRACKS in the best way possible and absolutely hauling. Aggressive, forceful, possible bruising...

Yes!  Bruises used to be a souvenir from a good ride.  I rode Americana's Screechin' Eagle 64 times in one day (as a teen, late 80s... what a great time to be a coaster geek!) and could barely walk at day's end due to flying up into the lap bar, which was already a good 4-6 inches away from the lap.  No seat dividers, good times.

I have been thinking about this park, quite naturally, after my recent visit and the main things of thought have been, do they have space at the top of the park to expand, what new land (holiday) could they expand with and they need a GCI to round out the CII and GG coasters they currently have lol.

Jarmor,

I’ve thought the same things as you.

For expansion, it seems that HW has tons of room to expand in many directions.

1. They could theoretically move the entrace forward into the Raven parking lot and open up the entrance plaza

2. Lots of room in the woods between Raven and Legend and along Lake Rudolph. I’d rather keep the woods and seclusion though. It was fun to walk though this area at HWN.

3. Lots of room just past the picnic groves

4. Of course, a huge amount of potential where the old Pilgrim’s Plunge was (an RMC Raptor would fit nicely here) and the Hyena Falls slide complex. There is easily a decades worth of space here. The cornfields next to Thunderbird are a huge blank slate as well. 

The bigger question is, how much bigger CAN and SHOULD they realistically expand. I love the “big park experience with a small park charm” vibe. 

I am still honestly surprised they went so big with Thunderbird, and it’s hard for me to imagine them continuing at the current pace, especially if Kentucky Kingdom is able to thrive. 

If all they did was keep the current coasters (and park in general) at a high level of quality and fun, I’d make the 3 hour drive every year for life. 

That said, I think an RMC Raptor would be a nice addition to round out the thrill coaster collection, and a junior wooden coaster (like Wooden Warrior) with a Rudolph lead car and a Santa Sleigh in the back) would be a great intermediate ride for families. I wonder if the new Kentucky Flyer 1 hour away will affect any potential for this. 

I can’t think of any other suitable holidays, and would honestly rather see more Christmas themed attractions, since there are really none besides shops, a restaurant, and a few kiddie rides. 

In any case, Holiday World is probably my favorite park. 😎

There are plenty of holidays. Valentine's Day and Easter would fit the park, and they could do St. Patrick's Day well. Arbor Day would be cool if they went with like a fantasy forest theme like some European parks have.

Just gotta be creative. And these folks have creativity in spades.

Hey, they could make a really, really awkward attempt at Juneteenth now too...

For real though, I like the idea of a Gravity Group family woodie next. It would fit in really well. Their next coaster should be a family coaster regardless of what it is. That's the biggest hole in their lineup right now.

I was literally right in the middle of planning for a trip out to Holiday World and the other parks in that area, looking up hotels etc, when this one popped up in my email.  Definitely even more eager to get there after seeing this one, looks like it's running amazing!

• 3 weeks later...

I was at Holiday World yesterday. Legend was closed with no activity anywhere around it. It's been 2008 since I've been there and can't remember if I liked Raven or Legend more. I guess I won't know. I posted this as a "heads up" for those visiting. As of yesterday only 2 of their 3 woodies running. I'm definitely not a fan of Voyage, but that's just me.

• 2 weeks later...

Not gonna be posting a ton of pics but I finally made my first ever trek to holiday world last week. I went Monday July 12 and Tuesday July 13th. I had my three daughters with me. 

We all enjoyed Holiday World immensely. More on the coasters in a minute, but all of the flats were enjoyable and my kids LOVED the selection. It's nice to have so many classic carnival style flats in a well themed park. I know Holiday World is always known as a clean park, but coming from St. Louis (and by proxy, Six Flags St. Louis as my home park).....it was shocking how clean the park was. Just fantastic. And with having three kids 10 and under, the free drink stations were VERY nice. 

So, the coasters. 

Lines were relatively short (it rained part of one day, and it was hot the other so Splashin' Safari was more where people were at) so a lot of coaster time was had. 

The Voyage really is a monster. That first drop is wild and a lot of airtime was had. It was very intense. Was definitely a rougher wooden coaster and my neck was feeling it, but a heck of a ride. 

Thunderbird rocks. So incredibly smooth. It's been a minute so I had done a launched coaster and the speed really struck me. The way you are exposed in the train coupled with the speed and smoothness really makes for that cool flying feeling. It's a short ride, made to feel even shorter if you just rode the marathon voyage, but it's all killer no filler. Loved it. 

The Raven. After having some time to process it since the trip, I think Raven is now my favorite wooden coaster. First off, it felt incredibly smooth for a wooden coaster. Don't get me wrong- it's not steel - but it felt bumpy in the great "out of control" feel a woodie should have, versus "that's going to hurt the next morning" that some are like. Tearing through the woods was an absolute joy. Great airtime. The turn by the lake is so cool! I really can't define why I found it to be the best, as the other two are more "thrilling"....but it just felt like a great ride. Exactly what I want a wooden coaster to be. 

Disappointingly, the Legend was closed both days. I couldn't get an answer as to why. Oh well, I suppose it at least leaves something for another trip. 

We did a couple hours at Splashin' Safari and of the water coasters, only got to do Cheetah Chase as lines were too long for the time we had left. Heck of a ride though. Easily my favorite waterslide/ride I've ever been on. Not really a waterpark person, though.

Before ending I should also say the park staff was incredibly friendly and made a great visit even better. This is now one of my favorite parks, and it's EASILY my favorite as a family park. Can't wait to go back.

• Like 2